PDA

View Full Version : You Know You're A Financial Market Addict When...

badcompany
09-14-2014, 06:56 PM
A part of you dreads the weekend because the markets are closed. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
09-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Or you're there when the futures open up early Sunday evening...lol

I used to be like that...then I started trading options...I like it better this way...one trade a month (unless I have to "adjust")....

lamboguy
09-14-2014, 09:30 PM
i know the takeout is more in racing than the markets, but i can overcome racing while the market's seems to put me under the either.

badcompany
09-16-2014, 05:30 PM
i know the takeout is more in racing than the markets, but i can overcome racing while the market's seems to put me under the either.

IMO, the psychological aspect of financial markets is harder, especially when you have long term positions.

If things are going badly with the ponies, you can simply take some time off.

An intermediate downtrend in a long term uptrend can last for weeks or more, and you have to sit there and take it.

_______
09-16-2014, 08:18 PM
IMO, the psychological aspect of financial markets is harder, especially when you have long term positions.

If things are going badly with the ponies, you can simply take some time off.

An intermediate downtrend in a long term uptrend can last for weeks or more, and you have to sit there and take it.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/09/10/investing-success-secret-amnesia/

"An employee who recently joined his firm told him that Fidelity had studied which customer investing accounts performed the best: They were the ones held by people who had forgotten they even had Fidelity accounts, and so did no buying or selling from them."

You could do worse than turning off the financial channel for a few months.

barn32
09-16-2014, 08:46 PM
I used to be like that...then I started trading options...I like it better this way...one trade a month (unless I have to "adjust")....Are you selling puts?

PaceAdvantage
09-17-2014, 03:51 PM
Actually, long put RUT butterflies (Russell 2000 index), hedged with IWM (Russell ETF) calls...

You can read/watch more about what I'm currently doing here:

http://www.smbtraining.com/overview/m3

I didn't purchase any of the stuff at that link...just interpreted the video presentation, liked what I saw, and tried to adapt it to my own style, although I do follow most of the rules he puts forth, except when I don't...lol

This is his "old" method, developed years ago...if it continues to do well with me, I may give the man a reward and purchase some of his newer stuff.

lamboguy
09-17-2014, 03:58 PM
i have been watching the squirrels around my property scooping up all the acorns for the last 3 weeks and storing them for the winter. this is the earliest that i have ever seen them go to work on storage.

animals are smarter than humans and the squirrels must think the winter is coming early this year. i am going to go long the front month of heating oil futures in anticipation of an early winter.

barn32
09-17-2014, 04:35 PM
i have been watching the squirrels around my property scooping up all the acorns for the last 3 weeks and storing them for the winter. this is the earliest that i have ever seen them go to work on storage.

animals are smarter than humans and the squirrels must think the winter is coming early this year. i am going to go long the front month of heating oil futures in anticipation of an early winter.Brilliant!

badcompany
09-17-2014, 05:20 PM

animals are smarter than humans and the squirrels must think the winter is coming early this year. i am going to go long the front month of heating oil futures in anticipation of an early winter.

In my neck of the woods, there's been a big switch to nat gas.

It's been bouncing along at a bottom. If it breaks out on the upside, it could be worth a play.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/fe830657feea34ea3a3e8c6f09dd9f91_zps3aa59cc6.jpg

lamboguy
09-17-2014, 07:00 PM
that one looks good because you know when your back is up against the wall. that's a nice clear chart too.

badcompany
09-20-2014, 07:22 PM
that one looks good because you know when your back is up against the wall. that's a nice clear chart too.

Looks like Nat Gas isn't gonna break out on the upside for awhile. The recent move has been down.

I've been having a pretty good run shorting grains, using the 12sma for a stop after a breakout.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/68c5d4b9e3e89180ad427ade2964b779_zps7bdd2e2f.jpg

Tape Reader
09-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Anyone see an advantage with candlesticks on intraday charts? I always thought that taking “the price to bed” is what gave them their significance.

incoming
09-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Using Bollinger Bands and Bollinger Bandwidth indicators a perfect Bollinger Band squeeze is starting to form. I would prefer the consolidation to last a couple of more weeks but a break of the bands in either direction and confirmed by volume above normalization would be enough for me to start a small position. I trade Forex but Bollinger Bands works across all markets.

incoming
10-03-2014, 06:41 AM
UNG daily chart closed above the upper BOLLINGER BAND 4 days ago. BANDWIDTH is still showing squeeze. Using hourly chart for entry, it's on the bottom band, great entry point!! The fat doji on daily chart yesterday tells me indecision is starting to creep in, along with heavy sale volume yesterday. I would open a 1/4 position at this point with a stop placed on a close below the lower band using daily candles. When there is a tag or close above the upper band using daily chart or a couple of days with positive above normalize volume I would load the wagon. Watch out $28. Lets see if I'm right. ;)

JBmadera
10-03-2014, 06:53 AM
[QUOTE=Tape Reader]Anyone see an advantage with candlesticks on intraday charts? I always thought that taking “the price to bed” is what gave them their significance. [/QUOTE

When I'm trading futures I always pay attention to doji's, usually on a longer time frame chart (I use RNG for entries/exits but I will also have a 30min chart up too), helps me decide if the current direction is running out of gas.

RaceBookJoe
10-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Anyone see an advantage with candlesticks on intraday charts? I always thought that taking “the price to bed” is what gave them their significance.

I use candles on my 1min charts. I don't trade solely based on the candles, just like I don't bet a horse off of one factor. Sometimes they can be confusing, other times deadly accurate. sorry that probably doesn't help much for what you are looking for.

incoming
10-14-2014, 04:48 AM
UNG daily chart closed above the upper BOLLINGER BAND 4 days ago. BANDWIDTH is still showing squeeze. Using hourly chart for entry, it's on the bottom band, great entry point!! The fat doji on daily chart yesterday tells me indecision is starting to creep in, along with heavy sale volume yesterday. I would open a 1/4 position at this point with a stop placed on a close below the lower band using daily candles. When there is a tag or close above the upper band using daily chart or a couple of days with positive above normalize volume I would load the wagon. Watch out $28. Lets see if I'm right. ;)

OK!! Bought full position of UNG on yesterdays close. I have received all of the confirmation that I need to LOAD THE WAGON. Over the last 11 days on the daily charts there has been 5 days with over average volume, 2 up and 3 down. The 3 down days PRICE still advanced. I think these are the days institutions and hedge funds jumped ship. Yesterday, there was a substantial price move up on average volume,
price also finished near the top of the daily candle. The risk to reward ratio is well within my tolerance levels with a mental stop on both position placed with a close below the lower bollinger band using daily candles. Other positive signs, using CCI indicator, it crept above -100, meaning it is moving out of the oversold area and brrr, starting to get cold.

I will revisit UNG if and when it tags or closes above the upper band. I will rethink my exit strategy and set take profit targets.

badcompany
10-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Hopefully, it's a closer.

incoming
10-21-2014, 05:40 AM
OK!! Bought full position of UNG on yesterdays close. I
have received all of the confirmation that I need to LOAD THE WAGON. Over the last 11 days on the daily charts there has been 5 days with over average volume, 2 up and 3 down. The 3 down days PRICE still advanced. I think these are the days institutions and hedge funds jumped ship. Yesterday, there was a substantial price move up on average volume,
price also finished near the top of the daily candle. The risk to reward ratio is well within my tolerance levels with a mental stop on both position placed with a close below the lower bollinger band using daily candles. Other positive signs, using CCI indicator, it crept above -100, meaning it is moving out of the oversold area and brrr, starting to get cold.

I will revisit UNG if and when it tags or closes above the upper band. I will rethink my exit strategy and set take profit targets.

Closed both positions at yesterday's close at a loss.

This was a perfect setup and my favorite trade. With a close above the upper band and a pull back too the lower band the risk to reward ratios are always very high. With entries and exits generally very close together the losses are small and potentially the rewards are at their highest expectations. NOT this time. :) :)

badcompany
10-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Closed both positions at yesterday's close at a loss.

This was a perfect setup and my favorite trade. With a close above the upper band and a pull back too the lower band the risk to reward ratios are always very high. With entries and exits generally very close together the losses are small and potentially the rewards are at their highest expectations. NOT this time. :) :)

Could've just been the timing. It if sets up again, you can always "fire the second bullet."

incoming
10-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Could've just been the timing. It if sets up again, you can always "fire the second bullet."

Bandwidth(consolidation) is what makes this kind of trade possible and I don't think there will be that kind of consolidation in UNG anytime soon.

Bollinger Band squeeze is a very popular trade in all kinds of markets. If you want more info I'm sure more info is available.

badcompany
10-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Got stopped out of my UNG short trade, a small winner. Seems to be turning to the long side.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/69C9633D-766B-475E-8298-A112F976B80C_zpswesdbwbw.png (http://s95.photobucket.com/user/thinlizzy21/media/69C9633D-766B-475E-8298-A112F976B80C_zpswesdbwbw.png.html)