PDA

View Full Version : Irish Champion Stakes, 1:50pm EST.

Redboard
09-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Aidan O'Brien said that the BC Classic is a possibility for Australia depending on how things work out. Australia is son of the great Ouija Board, who finished second in this race to Dylan Thomas in 2006. Ouija Board won the BC F&M Turf in 2004 and 2006(2nd in 2005).

No. Odds Horse (Where Bred)
1. 12 -Al Kazeem (GB)
2. 10 -Mukhadram (GB)
3. 15 -Trading Leather (IRE)
4. 60 -Alkasser (IRE)
5. 1/3 -Australia (GB)
6. 99 -Kingfisher (IRE)
7. 6 -The Grey Gatsby (IRE)

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/87335/deep-field-awaits-australia-at-leopardstown#ixzz3DCzs1pnJ

classhandicapper
09-13-2014, 11:33 AM
I think the 7th is a "win and you're in" race for the BC. It would great if Australia came to the US. The times I've seem him run he looked awesome.

The 5th race is also interesting (Tapestry and Palace)

classhandicapper
09-13-2014, 12:53 PM
I meant Tapestry and Rizeena, but even so, neither got the "win and you're in". Tapestry was nowhere.

classhandicapper
09-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Disappointing that Australia didn't get it done, but he was ridden like he was tons the best and just had to stay out of trouble instead of like he was in a horse race. He lost a ton of ground relative to the winner who stayed inside, swung out, and made the last move. Still hoping he comes to the US.

Some_One
09-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Australia needs to go to the Arc, would be much more suited to a long sweeping galloping track like Longchamp then a tight quick circuit like SA.

Redboard
09-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Australia needs to go to the Arc, would be much more suited to a long sweeping galloping track like Longchamp then a tight quick circuit like SA.

Yea, he should stay on turf. With his running style , a switch to dirt and the BCC would be pretty difficult.

classhandicapper
09-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Yea, he should stay on turf. With his running style , a switch to dirt and the BCC would be pretty difficult.

If he came to the US he would run in the Turf Classic.

Redboard
09-13-2014, 03:49 PM
I was thinking that O'Brien would do with him what he did with Giant's Causeway, whose only race on the dirt was the BCC. But with his 2nd place finish today, that strategy is probably gone.

cj
09-13-2014, 03:59 PM

The Classic has been mentioned as possible, why are you so certain?

Some_One
09-13-2014, 04:38 PM

I would assume the turf would be the only reasonable spot, is their anything in his pedigree that says dirt? And he also has the same issue with his running style. At least Declaration of War had a US pedigree with a close to pace running style which gave him some suitability for the Classic.

joeslovo
09-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Galileo the sire of Australia was beaten in the Irish Champion stakes;as was his dam Ouija Board(2 BC wins).
It looks like Joseph O'Brien maybe moved too soon on him today.Kingfisher was in there as a rabbit but Ryan Moore outfoxed them on this occasion.
Looks like neither of them are going to Longchamp for the Arc.
Australia would win at SA OK.He won at Epsom(English Derby) which is left handed;and at The Curragh (Irish Derby) which is right handed;so he is versatile.
Leopardstown is a hard track to ride apparently.I've been to Epsom and The Curragh;also my wife and I went to Longchamp last year for Treve's win in the Arc.
Leopardstown is on the bucket list also;as is Fairyhouse and Cheltenham.

classhandicapper
09-13-2014, 07:58 PM
The Classic has been mentioned as possible, why are you so certain?

I had no insight. I just assumed Galileo out of Ouija Board would stay on turf. Some of the ones I recall running in the Classic gave more of a hint they might also be good on dirt. If they are willing to run in the Classic, that would make it even better than it already looks.

Some_One
09-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KMUOqlg0Z0

A shockingly horrible ride by young OBrien, 6 wide in a 7 horse field?