PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Cable

rosenowsr
09-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Got an offer today from Comcast for an upgrade. I now have 30 Mbps cable speed for 20.00 dollars more a month they will upgrade me to 105Mbps.

I watch Netflix and races on TwinSpires that is the only video I watch, the rest is the usual email and net browsing.

The question is, will I see any difference from 30Mbps to 105Mbps?

I am running 2 computers and TV wirelessly, they seem to run ok, or am I missing something?

GameTheory
09-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Got an offer today from Comcast for an upgrade. I now have 30 Mbps cable speed for 20.00 dollars more a month they will upgrade me to 105Mbps.

I watch Netflix and races on TwinSpires that is the only video I watch, the rest is the usual email and net browsing.

The question is, will I see any difference from 30Mbps to 105Mbps?

I am running 2 computers and TV wirelessly, they seem to run ok, or am I missing something?
If you are never noticing slowdown (or only at high demand times on Netflix, where more speed at your end probably won't help) and you don't have great need of multiple high-bandwidth connections at once (like streaming 2-3 movies simultaneously in the house) then you probably won't notice anything at all. Sounds like you are using less than half the bandwidth you have now. No upgrade needed.

JustRalph
09-10-2014, 08:01 PM
i'd do it in a minute.......... that's a huge speed jump

But as already said,,,,, if you can't find something to do with it........... :bang:

Canarsie
09-11-2014, 09:24 AM

But as already said,,,,, if you can't find something to do with it........... :bang:

I wonder what their policy towards Netflix would be for a person who pays for the upgrade. If they still throttled it my hunch is someone will drop a lawsuit on them.

GameTheory
09-11-2014, 09:53 AM

I was choking for bandwidth when I had only 12MPS, and even sometimes at 25MPS, now I have 50MPS and have never found it wanting. I watch plenty of online HD movies, run a server from home, often do work that requires huge bandwidth, etc etc. For an individual that isn't a bittorrent whore or something, 30MPS is likely plenty...

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2014, 10:18 AM
For an individual that isn't a bittorrent whore or something, 30MPS is likely plenty...Agree completely...

Then again, most people can do with a 190HP car...but then there are those who can't live without 400+... :lol:

therussmeister
09-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Agree completely...

Then again, most people can do with a 190HP car...but then there are those who can't live without 400+... :lol:
I didn't know Hewlett Packard made cars.