PDA

View Full Version : Feds to Spend $500,000 for New Art at Customs and Border Protection Facility in San D

OntheRail
09-09-2014, 10:18 PM
The "busiest land port of entry in the Western Hemisphere" is getting an upgrade, and according to the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), about a half a million dollars worth of new artwork will be part of the package. The San Ysidro Land Port of Entry, the border crossing facility for the San Diego-Tijuana region, has been undergoing a $735 million modernization project spanning more than a decade. Since phase three of the project is included in President Obama's fiscal 2015 budget, the GSA has begun soliciting contractors, and that includes artists who will be commissioned to provided approximately $500,000 in new artwork for the new buildings.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/feds-spend-500000-new-art-customs-and-border-protection-facility-san-diego_804483.html

Greta's Take.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/on-the-record/2014/09/09/greta-500k-could-have-been-used-bigger-better-border-signs-not-art-sgt-tahmooressi-would-

:faint:

BlueShoe
09-10-2014, 01:44 AM
Half a mil for artwork? Have a better idea. Just invest in a couple dozen cans of spray paint and turn them over to the illegals they catch, and have them decorate. That is what they are going to do anyway when they reach their new neighborhoods, so why not give them some early practice while making the border walls and fences a bit more nicer? :rolleyes:

TJDave
09-10-2014, 02:06 AM
If people crossing the border want art, turn on the car radio - that's art and it's free. But get this, this is the very border crossing where Sergeant Tahmooressi mistakenly made his turn, accidentally ending up in Mexico.

This has yet to be determined and it appears that the evidence, so far, does not support Greta Van Susteren's conclusion.

Tom
09-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Nevertheless, he is an American being held in a rogue country.
If you can actually call mexico anything higher than a toilet bowl.

We should be sending troops and missiles.

AndyC
09-10-2014, 11:01 AM
If people crossing the border want art, turn on the car radio - that's art and it's free. But get this, this is the very border crossing where Sergeant Tahmooressi mistakenly made his turn, accidentally ending up in Mexico.

This has yet to be determined and it appears that the evidence, so far, does not support Greta Van Susteren's conclusion.

Please elaborate on the evidence.

Tom
09-10-2014, 11:16 AM
This is the total waste of money that needs to be fixed before ANY talk of new taxes is ever started.

THIS is the crap that mostie et al say we can't cut out.

jballscalls
09-10-2014, 03:22 PM
This is the total waste of money that needs to be fixed before ANY talk of new taxes is ever started.

THIS is the crap that mostie et al say we can't cut out.

I think art, both in the public and private sphere is a great thing and well worth some of our tax dollars. Much moreso than much of the other stuff our $$ goes to. Art is vitality and creativity and life. Art lasts generations, centuries.

Tom
09-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Fine, "J", but then don't have the "balls" to "call" poverty and look for handouts.
ba dum! :D

We do not have the money for this crap. Let people like Obama, Bill and Hill, who have all become millionaires milking the system pay for art - philanthropy it is called.

TAX dollars should NEVER be used for anything but essentials. Remember, less than half of us provide those tax dollars. And I get no use at all from the expenditure.

Besides, art is a personal think - much art is vulgar and disgusting. Do you support ALL art, or just what you think is acceptable art?

newtothegame
09-11-2014, 01:28 AM
Ohhh c'mon tom......
You know the provision of art is called for in the constitution!!! :bang:

OntheRail
09-11-2014, 10:46 AM
Ohhh c'mon tom......
You know the provision of art is called for in the constitution!!! :bang:

National Endowment for the Arts was conceived as part of President Lyndon Johnson’s "Great Society." Along with a war on poverty, new re-education programs,

Ronald Reagan attempts to abolish the National Endowment for the Arts, but lacking sufficient support in Congress, was unable to abolish or defund the agency,

Hmmm wonder if I should apply for a grant.... I have a piece in mind entitled Bettors Follies. I see a wire mess trash can fill and over flowing to ATM slips from all the tracks... sure I'll only need a few hundred grand from the NEA.

Aw I can see it now... can't you... beautiful man.

I think I'll submit an app.... wish me luck. I'm getting Monies for nothin' and bettin' for free. :lol:

AndyC
09-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave

Please elaborate on the evidence.

Dave your past comments were correct and I am sincerely looking for info that might be missing or misconstrued on TV.

TJDave
09-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Dave your past comments were correct and I am sincerely looking for info that might be missing or misconstrued on TV.

For starters:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/May/13/tahmooressi-lawyer-customs-tijuana-weapons/?#article

AndyC
09-11-2014, 01:55 PM
For starters:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/May/13/tahmooressi-lawyer-customs-tijuana-weapons/?#article

Thanks.

Clocker
09-11-2014, 03:32 PM
$500K for art is chicken feed for Homeland Security. They recently spent $680K each to build 21 homes for employee housing in Arizona, and $118K each for 20 mobile homes. This was in Ajo, AZ, where the average selling price for a home is $86K.

Story here. (http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/11/border-patrol-spent-680000-per-dwelling-to-house-agents/)

cj's dad
09-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Talk about a waste of gov. $$, this week is Srar Spangles banner week here. 200 year anniversary of the writing. F-16's flyiing around for the last 3-4 hours. They buzz the fort. and then do a u-turn and return must be 5-6 of them putting on a show. Flying directly over my house. I'm about 5 miles SW of Fort Mc Henry. I haven't seen the dog since noon.

Holy shit, one just flew over, I thought he was coming in my living room. If something happens to one of these planes or pilots, it will be ugly.

I really don't know how the Gov't allows this risk. I think they are less than 1000' above.

Tom
09-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Holy shit, one just flew over, I thought he was coming in my living room.

Whatever you do, don't look Islamic!:eek: