PDA

View Full Version : You know why I dont like Lionhart...

JPinMaryland
05-01-2004, 03:11 AM
he's so durn small. He looks like he's going to just get gobbled up by one of those monsters going by.

Yeah, but moving the inside slots outward is of use to him. Where is Borrego coming from? Can he just stalk it?

WJ47
05-02-2004, 12:52 AM
Yeah, he is small. Did pretty well today though. When I watched Lionheart as a 2 year old, I was convinced that he would win the Kentucky Derby 2004. In fact, on my DRF watchlist, I have Lionheart with a note that says, "May be a Triple Crown Winner!" Then I started watching Smarty Jones and forgot all about Lionheart. Had the exacta today only one time because I blew alot of money using Tapit with Smarty and reversing the two! LOL, Hindsight is always best.

kingfin66
05-02-2004, 02:15 AM
So, does Lion Heart run in the Preakness, or does he sit out awhile and aim for a shorter route?

JPinMaryland
05-02-2004, 03:10 AM
That's a good question. DOesnt the Preakness often have a bit of bumping down the stretch? Majestic Prince/Arts Letters is one. I think Winning Colors was in some sort of dispute in the late 80s. He seems to know that he doesnt want to get knocked into the rail and will fight for that 3rd path like crazy.

Come to think of it, didnt Smarty fight like hell for his rights when he was in the middle of that 5 horse field coming around the first turn? I hope they get that picture into the papers.

Richard
05-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Maybe Biancone will do with LH likr Frankel did last year with Empire Maker.Keep him out of the Preakness and rest him for 5 weeks to meet SJ(assuming he wins the Preakness,of course)at Belmont.Quite possible.

JustRalph
05-02-2004, 09:39 PM
heard Biancone on the TV tonight.......he is going to the Preakness with Lion Heart

Steve 'StatMan'
05-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Can't see how LH & SJ won't be part of the Preakness Tri. I can't see LH winning the Belmont, and seeing the KY Derby, now can't see him beating SJ in the Preakness either, but 2nd money there is mighty darn good. Seems like the Preakness is SJ's to win, then LH's. If it wasnt' for SJ, LH would have won this KY Derby. Nothing to hang their heads about. 2 fine horses, at least compared to this crop at this time.

WJ47
05-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Lionheart would have definitely won if not for Smarty Jones, who just may be a superhorse. Lionheart was really, really tough. LH's trainer said in an interview that he hopes he wins next time and it doesn't turn into another Affirmed/ Alydar year, where Lionheart is the new Alydar! :) Alydar was such a great horse, but was cheated because he had the bad fortune of being born the same year as Affirmed. I've always loved Lionheart, he did great in the Derby, he lasted a long time and held on second and beat 16 other horses.

JPinMaryland
05-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Yeah, most appropriately named horse, he's all heart.

I dont know if it's usually the rule, but I recall War Emblem's preakness being run at a faster pace then his Derby. If the pace is faster, Lionheart could still a lead and maybe hold on. So, no reason not to take a shot.

OTOH, it might be SJ who goes out in a faster pace. What if he runs a 45 3/5 and 1:10; would he be able to hang on under faster pace?

JPinMaryland
05-03-2004, 05:13 AM
Come to think of it, is Lionhart not a good example of how Northern Dancer has left his mark on the breed? He's small, nimble, and he has no extra gear.

Hmm, can he get 12 furloughs?

WJ47
05-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by JPinMaryland
Come to think of it, is Lionhart not a good example of how Northern Dancer has left his mark on the breed? He's small, nimble, and he has no extra gear.

Hmm, can he get 12 furloughs?

I don't think he will be able to get 12 furlongs, but I wasn't sure that he could get 10 furlongs and he did good and managed to hold second. Although I do think that if the race was longer, he probably would have been passed by Imperialism. I think that Smarty Jones and Imperialism can get 12 furlongs though. Smarty Jones didn't even look tired and Imperialism was making a fairly good move at the end to grab third place.

JPinMaryland
05-03-2004, 06:38 PM
After seeing a tape of the 1964 derby, I was thinking was how similar in running style Lion H. appears to N Dancer. The Dancer while exceptional at 8 or 9 furloughs was not considered superior at longer distances. In the derby he was almost caught from behind by Hill Rise a larger horse w/ huge strides at the end. In the Belmont he was caught.

As for Imperialism, that was a huge move. In the slop. He took such a long route it's possible he might have run out of gas if the race was further. Still that horse knows when to kick it up, he was blocked and had to check up in his previous race, (SA derby).

Imp. did catch Lion H. at the san rafeal, shorter distance/faster pace. Hmmm, you want to look at the tape from that one again. I cant recall but I would guess Imp. turned it up a notch and Lion H was in the same gear.