PDA

View Full Version : Malwarebytes-Free Version-Opinions?

Flysofree
09-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Just tried it ...How long does the free trial version work?..It found 6 problems including a Trojan. This was after a full scan by Norton, which only found cookies. I have had Norton for years . It has helped and stopped some problems, but computer was slower lately.
I don't even see the price for Malewarebytes paid (premium version).

GameTheory
09-07-2014, 08:49 PM
There is a free version that works forever...it's free. I don't even know what the premium version does -- real-time protection maybe?

Flysofree
09-07-2014, 09:12 PM
I don't know what it does. I guess they provide a free service, knowing a certain percentage will sign up, otherwise how do they stay in business. Plus, I'm not sure this is free forever, it says free trial.

hcap
09-07-2014, 09:37 PM
There is a free version that works forever...it's free. I don't even know what the premium version does -- real-time protection maybe?Yes. My primary line of defense is Bitedefender Total Securitywhich I use for real time protection. Excellent, no noticeable slowing down of system. Does autu-updates and scans in background. Highly rated by independent ant-virus sites. I use Malwarebytes-Free as a "second opinion" also great. Never expires, also highly rated

Flysofree
09-08-2014, 11:49 AM
While doing anther scan this morning with Malwarebytes, Norton reports it as using 100% CPU. Has anyone here had that issue?

GameTheory
09-08-2014, 11:54 AM
While doing anther scan this morning with Malwarebytes, Norton reports it as using 100% CPU. Has anyone here had that issue?
Norton is using 100%? That's because it is also scanning every file that Malwarebytes is simply because it is being accessed (is my guess) -- doing a full scan will slow anyone's system down, but they don't usually take that long (especially if doing a "smart scan" in malwarebytes). You could turn Norton off temporarily while it is doing that if it bugs you. (Background scanning is much smoother with a multi-core processor.)

cj's dad
09-08-2014, 01:53 PM
I found out today that my son used AdBlockPlus 2.4.6 to clean up my mess.

magwell
09-08-2014, 02:08 PM
I found out today that my son used AdBlockPlus 2.4.6 to clean up my mess.I think about taking a 2 by 4 to my computer all the time, especially when I make a stupid bet...........;)

senortout
09-08-2014, 02:34 PM
That program you mention is only good for preventing web sites(like this one) from opening other things, like ads, on this web page. Not a virus cleaner-upper, or a protector, of any sort. Your son has probably protected your computer in some other manner though. Ask him.

I found out today that my son used AdBlockPlus 2.4.6 to clean up my mess.