PDA

View Full Version : In appreciation for PA critics...

highnote
09-06-2014, 03:51 PM
A reason to appreciate critics:

I saw a good quote today:

"The critic is the only independent source of information. The rest is advertising."

badcompany
09-06-2014, 04:34 PM
I always liked this one. Ironically, it was a Brazilian who turned me on to it.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

jballscalls
09-06-2014, 05:48 PM
I always liked this one. Ironically, it was a Brazilian who turned me on to it.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

love it. I've always said nobody grows up wanting to be a critic, they just end up there.

LottaKash
09-06-2014, 06:27 PM
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”― Theodore Roosevelt

Well he wouldn't be talking about our current prez, I don't think....:D ...Except for the "errs and short" part, of course...

Overlay
09-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Richard Nixon included that quote from Teddy Roosevelt in his resignation speech.

boxcar
09-06-2014, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=badcompany]I always liked this one. Ironically, it was a Brazilian who turned me on to it.

Great quote. I saw that one before.

Roosevelt didn't care much for the lukewarm either -- the armchair quarterback types who were never in the game.

Boxcar