PDA

View Full Version : Tesla chooses Nevada

JustRalph
09-03-2014, 07:08 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/09/03/tesla-gigafactory-nevada-carson/15029233/

Interesting choice...............

highnote
09-03-2014, 07:16 PM
I just read where Georgia car dealers are trying to get Tesla's license revoked to sell cars in Georgia because they are only allowed to sell 150 cars per year directly to consumers from their factory-owned store. Tesla sold 173.

Capitalist business owners sure don't like competition.

Augenj
09-03-2014, 09:40 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/09/03/tesla-gigafactory-nevada-carson/15029233/

Interesting choice...............
Could be because that's where a lot of Lithium is mined. (or something else) :)

highnote
09-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Could be because that's where a lot of Lithium is mined. (or something else) :)

Borax?

:D

Augenj
09-04-2014, 05:31 AM
Borax?

:D
Yes, and still hauled by teams of 20 mules. :D

(or something else) might be money, politics, whatever...

Robert Goren
09-04-2014, 10:35 AM
I sure there will be some post on why people think Tesla did not pick California. But it is far more an interesting loss by Texas. You have to wonder why it did not go there. This has got to be a big deal for Nevada. Nevada is not exactly a state you think of when you mention manufacturing.

JustRalph
09-04-2014, 11:44 AM
I sure there will be some post on why people think Tesla did not pick California. But it is far more an interesting loss by Texas. You have to wonder why it did not go there. This has got to be a big deal for Nevada. Nevada is not exactly a state you think of when you mention manufacturing.

In Texas there was tons of doubt about the lofty goals Musk was spouting. Lots of Texans have been against this thing coming to Texas. There radio shows for weeks that were calling out Musk and some showing the numbers he was predicting for jobs as a pipe dream.

In one example an analysis showed that 72 people would have to work on one battery every day to meet the employment figures Musk had given a talk about.

There are limits to incentives. I think Texas thought there might be better targets in spite of what they said publicly.

Btw, I drove by the new State Farm Headquarters in Plano a few days ago. It's massive and they've hung a State Farm Banner on it. :ThmbUp:

:lol:

Dave Schwartz
09-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Tesla chose Nevada because we won the "suck up" game.

Apparently we offered greater incentives to move them here.

Has anyone ever considered that states making deals for companies to move there are (effectively) offering favoritism that breaks state and local laws?

Reno is famous for making deals with companies "for the good of the city" that works out great for the business and the city gets almost nothing. How convenient. Do you suppose that money changed hands for "help" getting the deal? (Of course not! How could I even think such a thing!)

_______
09-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Not everything comes down to a red/blue dynamic.

Toyota chose Texas for it's HQ because it was close to it's manufacturing base in the South. A California headquarters made sense when it's vehicles were manufactured in Japan and a management meeting with the brass meant an overseas flight instead of Skype. That example is a little muddy because the manufacturing base might not have been in the south absent right to work legislation, but the final decision to get management closer to the build sites had less to do with California's buisness climate than it did with the structural changes that had occurred over 50 years.

Tesla chose the nearest site to its vehicle manufacturing plant. It doesn't mean the purple state won and the red and blue states lost. It means the location made business sense for the managers at Tesla. Lots of cheap open land with rail access to the port of Oakland.