cj
04-30-2004, 06:38 PM
What was the remark bill?

bill
04-30-2004, 06:45 PM
the people going the speed limit in the fast lane should do jail time

Tee
04-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Does the area in question have a minimum posted speed limit for the fast lane?

Or is this remark meant to cover fast lanes everywhere?

bill
04-30-2004, 07:04 PM
posted for the freeway

schweitz
04-30-2004, 07:07 PM
I didn't post it but in Texas the law is that the left lane is for passing only and you can be ticketed.

bill
04-30-2004, 07:13 PM
on a highway like to la

yes but freeway in town no

cj
04-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Having been in Belgium for 4 months now, I must say their way is much better than in the states. You move to the right unless you are passing, period! Traffic flows so much smoother it is ridiculous.

schweitz
04-30-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by bill
on a highway like to la

yes but freeway in town no

Law # 545.051

It appears that this law is also for in town.

http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/laws.htm

Scroll down about half way. Even if you are going 100mph in the left lane and someone wants to 110 you have to move over.

bettheoverlay
04-30-2004, 07:28 PM
I do lots of driving 95 on NE corridor and I would say the biggest hazard are the drivers who plant themselves in the middle lane, barely drive the limit, and cause others to pass left and right. The irony is that the clearest path is often the right lane on 3 lane roads, when trucks are scarce, as cars seem to avoid it.

bill
04-30-2004, 07:35 PM
law wont work on some freeways if you have left exits would cause rear enders all over the place

Tom
04-30-2004, 07:43 PM
We have some left hand exits around here and they are a bear. They never bother to post that it a left until you are almost on it, after having spent the last 10 miles trying to get over to the right.

JustRalph
04-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Bill

I think I read it in one of Andicaps posts.....

Hosshead
04-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Here in Calif. the Left lane is packed. In fact I think it's against the law to steer to the Right !! :D

bill
04-30-2004, 09:46 PM
doesent mayyer

i worked traffic for 30 yrs

caint see how they can pass a law that penalizes the person not breaking the law and give the person thats breaking the speed limit that was set by what the hiway was designed for the green lite to speed if all travel at the same speed traffic flows like a river eddies on the banks but most moving smooth

GameTheory
04-30-2004, 10:41 PM
The overriding rule of the rule is that you must do the safe thing. Just as even if you have the right-of-way to go through an intersection it doesn't mean you can go ahead and plow into someone who happens to be in there who isn't supposed to be.

chickenhead
05-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Main problem I see in CA (101) are all the big rigs, they take up too much space. We need to use trains more for moving stuff around, get some of these trucks off the road.

Otherwise people up here are pretty good drivers overall once you get into the urban areas. Out in the sticks everyone drives slow, but that is ok.

andicap
05-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by bill
would the person that posterd this remark post again

It was the last line of my PC rant topic.

Tomorrow's topic: Capital punishment for morons who drive the speed limit in the left lanes. (I'm for it)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.
And how about people who tailgate you when
1) I'm in the slow lane and doing 5 miles over the speed limit. Pass me for chrissakes.
2) I'm in the fast lane doing 85. And we're not in Montana or Utah, but a NYC suburb.

cj
05-03-2004, 10:47 AM
The worst are the people who tailgate you in heavy traffic in the fast lane when there is just nowhere to go.

I've spent many a day doing 80 on the Balt-Wash Parkway with some jackass right on my ass with a huge line of traffic in front of me. I always slow down so they try to pass me on the right, then speed up so they get shuffled back. That and shooting windshield washer fluid onto their car are two of my favorite rush hour hobbies!

Tom
05-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
The worst are the people who tailgate you in heavy traffic in the fast lane when there is just nowhere to go.

I've spent many a day doing 80 on the Balt-Wash Parkway with some jackass right on my ass with a huge line of traffic in front of me. I always slow down so they try to pass me on the right, then speed up so they get shuffled back. That and shooting windshield washer fluid onto their car are two of my favorite rush hour hobbies!

Draw them in close to your ass then turn on your lights. By the time they realize it is not your brake lights, it is too late.:D

schweitz
05-03-2004, 09:42 PM
In a survey to determine what causes road rage the top two reasons are:

1. Not moving out of the left lane when possible for faster moving traffic.

2. Following too close.

JustRalph
05-04-2004, 12:30 AM
California beats all........only place I ever set my Cruise Control above 85.........and they still were riding my ass!

then of course there is the 405 where they go 55mph 3 feet apart.......and then the motorcycles ride between the cars at 75mph.............it is such joy

Bubbles
05-04-2004, 06:12 PM
I remember a summer trip to Cape Cod a few years ago. We took a few different cars down, my mom's family's pretty big. We took 87 to 21A, then hit the Mass Pike. We were going upwards of 100, 105 in a '96 Ford Explorer, a little more in a '94 Chrysler LeBaron convertible.

We got sped by like we were going twenty miles under the limit. It was incredible. You had policemen all over the place, trying to get some form of a speed limit out there, but nothing worked. I've never eaten so much dust going 35, 40 miles an hour over the "speed limit."