PDA

View Full Version : Golf - Ryder Cup 2014

horses4courses
09-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Keegan Bradley, Hunter Mahan, and Webb Simpson chosen as wildcards.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwkMvDaIcAE2_rE.jpg

I have a feeling the US is a very live underdog here IF
they can get over their phobia of playing in pairings.

Too often, they trail by too much going into Sunday's singles.
A reasonable showing on the first two days
could have them regaining the trophy at Gleneagles. :ThmbUp:

Redboard
09-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Funny you mentioned that because in 2012 they had a big lead on Sunday morning which quickly evaporated:

http://www.rydercup.com/usa/scoring

They were 3-8-1 on Sunday.

Personally I feel they should go back to the original format of playing just the UK, which would still be a challenge for them.

1st time lasix
09-03-2014, 09:31 AM
I think the Americans are really going to get stomped this year. i don't want it to happen..... but there are not a live dog. Wonder what the vegas line is?

NJ Stinks
09-03-2014, 12:25 PM
I think the Americans are really going to get stomped this year. i don't want it to happen..... but there are not a live dog. Wonder what the vegas line is?

Don't know about Vegas but Paddy Power shows this:

TO LIFT THE CUP Friday 26th September 2014, 07:00
To Lift The Cup
Europe 4/9
USA 13/8

If a tie is part of the equation, Paddy Power offers:

Outright Betting
Europe 8/13
USA 13/8
Tie 10/1

AndyC
09-03-2014, 12:27 PM

Vegas Odds (http://www.vegasinsider.com/golf/odds/futures/)

Scroll to the bottom.

rastajenk
09-03-2014, 01:35 PM
I guess I like the States' chances in this better than most people. The Euros have a lot of star power at the top, but after that it looks like a toss-up. I think our older guys are better right now than their older guys; and our younger guys got some skills. It sounds like the course is set up for making birdies, so anything can happen and probably will.

DJofSD
09-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Two years ago, the Euro's were motivated by the memory of Seve. The don't have that going for them this year.

I believe Tom Watson will pull another Ben Crenshaw moment sometime during the competition and the USA will win.

And don't forget the MJ v. Poults psych war. Poults is the spark plug and if he can be compromised, who knows what the rest of the Euros will do.

Tor Ekman
09-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Too often, the Americans have shown themselves to be the product of a soft "country club" culture, never having known the pressure of standing over a $20 putt and having only five bucks. Euros seem to be more hardscrabble in that way.

AndyC
09-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Two years ago, the Euro's were motivated by the memory of Seve. The don't have that going for them this year.

I believe Tom Watson will pull another Ben Crenshaw moment sometime during the competition and the USA will win.

And don't forget the MJ v. Poults psych war. Poults is the spark plug and if he can be compromised, who knows what the rest of the Euros will do.

I question that a golfer can be motivated to play better. Trying harder at golf often results in playing worse not better. This year with expectations so low for the US the pressure is squarely on the shoulders of the Europeans. It wouldn't surprise me to see the US with an easy win. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me to see them get their clocks cleaned either.

NJ Stinks
09-05-2014, 02:24 AM
I question that a golfer can be motivated to play better. Trying harder at golf often results in playing worse not better. This year with expectations so low for the US the pressure is squarely on the shoulders of the Europeans. It wouldn't surprise me to see the US with an easy win. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me to see them get their clocks cleaned either.

Andy, everything you said makes a lot of sense. It looks kind of 50-50 which way you will be surprised.

I'm betting the dog.

horses4courses
09-18-2014, 10:28 PM
William Hill in Nevada currently are offering +2.00 on the US to lift the cup.
That's a better price than what's on offer in Europe right now - you would
think the opposite would be the case with the Euro giving high US odds.

I like the US chances.
Certainly, I could be wrong, but being underdogs can really fire a team up.
They're not expected to win, yet they have loads of talent.
Add in the fact that they are playing on a non-links course designed
by Jack Nicklaus. I'm seeing green lights :eek:

DJofSD
09-24-2014, 11:04 AM
World number 1 swaps in a new 1 wood. (http://www.golfchannel.com/news/equipment-insider/mcilroy-may-use-new-driver-once-ryder-cup-begins/?cid=Email_WednesdayNL_20140924)

Reports are the rough will be difficult -- very difficult. That extra distance will be for not if the ball is not in the fairway. And, yes, that'll be true for Lefty and Bubba too.

MutuelClerk
09-24-2014, 12:29 PM
I think the USA wins despite the selection of Webb Simpson.

DJofSD
09-24-2014, 12:37 PM
So you believe Webb to be the weakest link? Why?

DJofSD
09-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Keegan and Phil are the anchors.

Game on!

MutuelClerk
09-25-2014, 11:30 PM
So you believe Webb to be the weakest link? Why?

Long putter, relies on his caddy for everything. A lot of shanks. Can't believe this guy won a major. I looking forward to the long putter being banned. That being said, I'm rooting USA, just think he's our weakest link like you said. Being paired with Bubba, I know they're close but Bubba can be rattled. Seems he'll either have his A game or go in the tank. Getting up early to watch.

rastajenk
09-26-2014, 07:20 AM
...to a couple of rookies. The game is afoot. :)

DJofSD
09-26-2014, 09:32 AM
The rookies, while not sterling, seem to have done OK.

So far, I am not impressed by any one player's game.

DJofSD
09-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Keegan & Phil, at the turn, and, back to just 1 down.

They could turn it around! It'd be huge.

NJ Stinks
09-26-2014, 10:22 PM
I don't think Spieth & Reed have earned the right to be mad at Watson for sitting this afternoon. Furthermore, how happy are their teammates going to be with them when they hear Spieth and Reed were pissed at Watson because Jimmy Walker and Rickie Fowler, as well as Phil Mickelson and Keegan Bradley, were picked to play over Speith & Reed?

Not exactly all for one and one for all.

Here's the link:

http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/the-curious-case-of-watson-sitting-spieth-and-reed-in-friday-foursomes

Relwob Owner
09-26-2014, 11:14 PM
I don't think Spieth & Reed have earned the right to be mad at Watson for sitting this afternoon. Furthermore, how happy are their teammates going to be with them when they hear Spieth and Reed were pissed at Watson because Jimmy Walker and Rickie Fowler, as well as Phil Mickelson and Keegan Bradley, were picked to play over Speith & Reed?

Not exactly all for one and one for all.

Here's the link:

http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/the-curious-case-of-watson-sitting-spieth-and-reed-in-friday-foursomes

I think their teammates would probably rather have guys on their team that get pissed at not playing than guys who are passive and OK with it.....its called being competitive and wanting to be out there and contribute and I hope all our guys have that spirit out there. If any guy at any age on that team had played like Spieth and Reed did and then got benched, they would have been pissed too.

NJ Stinks
09-27-2014, 02:27 AM
I think their teammates would probably rather have guys on their team that get pissed at not playing than guys who are passive and OK with it.....its called being competitive and wanting to be out there and contribute and I hope all our guys have that spirit out there. If any guy at any age on that team had played like Spieth and Reed did and then got benched, they would have been pissed too.

OK. One of us sees the glass half-full and the other half-empty.

Hope you are right.

DJofSD
09-27-2014, 07:48 AM
The rookies play on day two in the PM while the vets get benched.

stuball
09-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Finally a guy with some fire in his belly..He just shushed the Euro crowd
I laughed out loud it was classic...will get many replays...He is
refreshing

Relwob Owner
09-28-2014, 08:22 AM
Finally a guy with some fire in his belly..He just shushed the Euro crowd
I laughed out loud it was classic...will get many replays...He is
refreshing

Ditto....that was hilarious and hopefully will rub off on the other guys.

DJofSD
09-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Martin Kaymer gets the 2nd to last point needed -- cue the fat lady.

horses4courses
09-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Europe just seems to have more game under pressure.

Oh well, it's back here in two years.

DJofSD
09-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Zack and Victor slug it out.

Future rivalry in the making?

DJofSD
09-28-2014, 12:45 PM
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/horschel-foursome-tip-make-pars-not-bogeys/

Bishop's response to the loss is predictable but not any different than firing a baseball team's manager when they fail to get into post season play.

horses4courses
09-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Phil Mickleson is coming in for heavy criticism after his post-match
reaction to captain Tom Watson's tactics, or lack thereof, following
today's US defeat at Gleneagles.

http://news.yahoo.com/mickelson-slammed-monty-faldo-incendiary-comments-224046712--golf.html

horses4courses
09-28-2014, 11:25 PM
Phil Mickelson is coming in for heavy criticism after his post-match
reaction to captain Tom Watson's tactics, or lack thereof, following
today's US defeat at Gleneagles.

http://news.yahoo.com/mickelson-slammed-monty-faldo-incendiary-comments-224046712--golf.html

More on the Mickelson dissent, including comments from Tom Watson.

http://www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/article/2/9494314/ryder-cup-2014-phil-mickelson-questions-strategy-of-tom-watson

DJofSD
09-28-2014, 11:26 PM
http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/9/28/roundup-mickelson-watson-publicly-litigate-the-captaincy.html

Greyfox
09-29-2014, 10:23 AM
More on the Mickelson dissent, including comments from Tom Watson.

http://www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/article/2/9494314/ryder-cup-2014-phil-mickelson-questions-strategy-of-tom-watson

In the article above, Watson apparently gave the following impression:

"Watson said he had not read Azinger's book about a winning Ryder Cup strategy."

Therein lies the problem.
The Europeans religiously pass on their "template" for success in this event.
Watson should have consulted Azinger. Obviously he didn't.

This event has too much public interest attached to it for thoughts about what went wrong to be kept behind closed doors.
I'm glad that Mickelson said what he said.
He was asked a question and he responded honestly to it. That's Phil's calling card.

I don't know that America would have won.
I do know that Watson did not get the most out of this team.

MutuelClerk
09-29-2014, 05:28 PM
I agree, I have no problem with Phil answering honestly. I just have a problem with the way he and most of the veterans on this team play. To most of them it's another day at the office( do they still want to get paid for this?). I'll take the Euro's style anytime. Sergio has no majors but he wants to win the Ryder Cup more than any of our players. We need more players like Reed. Or in the past Azinger or Pavin. There seems to be little fire and no passion on our team unless they are winning.

Relwob Owner
09-29-2014, 05:37 PM
In the article above, Watson apparently gave the following impression:

"Watson said he had not read Azinger's book about a winning Ryder Cup strategy."

Therein lies the problem.
The Europeans religiously pass on their "template" for success in this event.
Watson should have consulted Azinger. Obviously he didn't.

This event has too much public interest attached to it for thoughts about what went wrong to be kept behind closed doors.
I'm glad that Mickelson said what he said.
He was asked a question and he responded honestly to it. That's Phil's calling card.

I don't know that America would have won.
I do know that Watson did not get the most out of this team.

I agree with Watson not getting the most out of the team. I don't agree that it was the the time or place for Phil to voice that opinion. It also seems out of place for a guy whose career record in the RC I believe is 16-19-2 to be blaming anyone else......

I also don't think that him responding honestly is his "calling card". In almost every pre and post round interview I have seen him do, he is pretty vanilla, rarely controversial, and spins things about as positively as he can. This has been shown after some of his most painful defeats, when he has been interviewed and to his credit, rather than lash out, he gave classy but probably not really honest answers to how he really felt at the time.

NJ Stinks
09-29-2014, 05:55 PM
First off, Tom Watson already captained our Ryder Cup team to victory. Obviously, previously he was Einstein and now he's not apparently. :rolleyes:

Secondly, ever since Mickelson cried about taxes, he lost me as a fan. Screw him and his personal jet. I guess Phil is too big an ego to fly over to Europe with the rest of the team. :rolleyes: That little bit of "me first" must have been a huge boost to the supposed concept that the Americans were actually a TEAM.

Thirdly, I said it the other day. The Americans are basically a bunch of egomanics - there is no team with almost half of these guys. The two young guys complaining about not playing on the first day in their first RC? Some of the veterans on the team should have told these young punks to shutup and watch. Who cares if these punks won or not? They are on their way to be a permanent part of the problem in RCups as far as I can see.

Meanwhile, the Europeans are sold on the team concept. They play like they actually care about each other.

Anyway, at least Watson doesn't have to coach these yahoos again.

AndyC
09-29-2014, 06:22 PM
First off, Tom Watson already captained our Ryder Cup team to victory. Obviously, previously he was Einstein and now he's not apparently. :rolleyes:

Secondly, ever since Mickelson cried about taxes, he lost me as a fan. Screw him and his personal jet. I guess Phil is too big an ego to fly over to Europe with the rest of the team. :rolleyes: That little bit of "me first" must have been a huge boost to the supposed concept that the Americans were actually a TEAM.

Thirdly, I said it the other day. The Americans are basically a bunch of egomanics - there is no team with almost half of these guys. The two young guys complaining about not playing on the first day in their first RC? Some of the veterans on the team should have told these young punks to shutup and watch. Who cares if these punks won or not? They are on their way to be a permanent part of the problem in RCups as far as I can see.

Meanwhile, the Europeans are sold on the team concept. They play like they actually care about each other.

Anyway, at least Watson doesn't have to coach these yahoos again.

Yeah, he should just be quiet and have the government confiscate his money without any objection. 40%+ to the Feds and 13.3% to CA.

After drubbing their opponents in the morning the young guys should have complained. That's like benching a baseball player in the second game of a doubleheader after hitting 2 HRs in the first.

The concept of team in golf is ridiculous. Outside of the foursomes matches each player is going out to play their own way with their own ball.

Greyfox
09-29-2014, 07:39 PM
To most of them it's another day at the office( do they still want to get paid for this?)..

Now that you raise the getting paid issue, let me say I think that they should be paid.
Those crowds last weekend were absolutely huge.
The two Golf associations are making a fortune off them.
Sure the players are playing for national pride.
But why shouldn't players on both teams get some reasonable financial compensation?

NJ Stinks
09-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Yeah, he should just be quiet and have the government confiscate his money without any objection. 40%+ to the Feds and 13.3% to CA.

After drubbing their opponents in the morning the young guys should have complained. That's like benching a baseball player in the second game of a doubleheader after hitting 2 HRs in the first.

The concept of team in golf is ridiculous. Outside of the foursomes matches each player is going out to play their own way with their own ball.

If the concept of team is really ridiculous, Mickelson should have kept his mouth shut about the miraculous "pod system".

Another thing. When is Watson going to get credit for pairing Reed and Spieth together? If the other guys on the American team "performed", those 2.5 points Reed & Spieth earned playing together would have been huge.

tucker6
09-29-2014, 07:52 PM
I'd be okay of the Ryder Cup was ended. Let's put it this way. I'd much rather have Phil's stellar career and mediocre Ryder Cup record than Sergio's mediocre career and stellar Ryder Cup record.

MutuelClerk
09-29-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm sure Sergio would like to have a few majors. And Phil would like to have a better Ryder Cup record and more victories. Odds are both have plenty of money and few regrets.

As far as being paid, I understand the revenue made and the players are the reason. If you pay them maybe it would bring the Euro's down to our level of greed and just happy to be there and take away the passion that right now makes them superior.

Relwob Owner
09-29-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm sure Sergio would like to have a few majors. And Phil would like to have a better Ryder Cup record and more victories. Odds are both have plenty of money and few regrets.

As far as being paid, I understand the revenue made and the players are the reason. If you pay them maybe it would bring the Euro's down to our level of greed and just happy to be there and take away the passion that right now makes them superior.

Could not agree more.....

AndyC
09-29-2014, 09:49 PM
If the concept of team is really ridiculous, Mickelson should have kept his mouth shut about the miraculous "pod system".

Another thing. When is Watson going to get credit for pairing Reed and Spieth together? If the other guys on the American team "performed", those 2.5 points Reed & Spieth earned playing together would have been huge.

I have always been both a Watson and Mickelson fan and have no interest in blaming anybody for anything. After all we are talking about golf not the proper strategy for fighting Islamic terrorists.

AndyC
09-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Now that you raise the getting paid issue, let me say I think that they should be paid.
Those crowds last weekend were absolutely huge.
The two Golf associations are making a fortune off them.
Sure the players are playing for national pride.
But why shouldn't players on both teams get some reasonable financial compensation?

I believe that each player is given a sum of money that they can designate toward the charity of their choice.

Where the players really get compensated is by getting worldwide visibility making them more valuable as someone to sponsor. You don't get much visibility sitting out matches.

Greyfox
09-29-2014, 09:56 PM
I believe that each player is given a sum of money that they can designate toward the charity of their choice.

Where the players really get compensated is by getting worldwide visibility making them more valuable as someone to sponsor. You don't get much visibility sitting out matches.

Thanks for the info. :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
09-29-2014, 11:49 PM
I have always been both a Watson and Mickelson fan and have no interest in blaming anybody for anything. After all we are talking about golf not the proper strategy for fighting Islamic terrorists.

Not sure how we got from the RC to the middle east....

Greyfox
09-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Watson admitted that he never bothered to read Azinger's book. :rolleyes:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DIj1INvmL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-44,22_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

NJ Stinks
09-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Interesting article on Tom Watson and the Ryder Cup posted on the Golf Channel website:

U.S. got the Ryder Cup captain it hired
By Joe Posnanski
September 29, 2014, 1:15 pm

The problem was they did not really want Tom Watson. Sure, they said they wanted Tom Watson, and then they gave him the job, and then they gave all sorts of lip service to how great it would be to have a hard-nosed legend like Tom Watson captaining the U.S. Ryder Cup team again.

But, in truth, they didn’t want Tom Watson at all. Maybe they wanted the idea of Tom Watson. But they didn’t want the flesh and blood version.

I’ve known Watson for 20 or so years, I’m writing a book about his amazing rivalry and relationship with Jack Nicklaus, and so I know a few things about him. First, he’s a perfectionist. Second, he’s tough as nails. Third, he’s opinionated. And fourth, he’s going to do what he believes is the right thing no matter what anybody else thinks.

Much more at the link below:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/joe-posnanski/us-got-ryder-cup-captain-it-hired/