PDA

View Full Version : In Maryland, it is still 1984.

Clocker
09-02-2014, 01:17 PM
And if you question that, the Thought Police will haul your butt off to jail. From WBOC (http://www.wboc.com/story/26367051/cambridge-maces-lane-middle-school-teacher-on-administrative-leave), apparently a local TV station.

Early last week the school board was alerted that one of its eighth grade language arts teachers at Mace's Lane Middle School had several aliases. Police said that under those names, he wrote two fictional books about the largest school shooting in the country's history set in the future. Now, Patrick McLaw is placed on leave.

Dr. K.S. Voltaer is better known by some in Dorchester County as Patrick McLaw, or even Patrick Beale. Not only was he a teacher at Mace's Lane Middle School in Cambridge, but according to Dorchester Sheriff James Phillips, McLaw is also the author of two books: "The Insurrectionist" and its sequel, "Lillith's Heir."

Those books are what caught the attention of police and school board officials in Dorchester County. "The Insurrectionist" is about two school shootings set in the future, the largest in the country's history.

Phillips said McLaw was taken in for an emergency medical evaluation. The sheriff would not disclose where McLaw is now, but he did say that he is not on the Eastern Shore. The same day that McLaw was taken in for an evaluation, police swept Mace's Lane Middle School for bombs and guns, coming up empty.

Dorchester County Superintendent of Schools Dr. Henry Wagner said the Dorchester County Board of Education has taken its own action.

"We have advised our community that the gentleman has been placed on administrative leave, and has been prohibited from entering any Dorchester County public school property," Wagner said.

He was "...taken in for an emergency medical evaluation."? Our government can't keep people with mental issues from buying guns, because that violates their right to privacy, but we can take people in "... for an emergency medical evaluation..." based on a work of fiction?

GaryG
09-02-2014, 01:23 PM
His nom de plume is Voltaer?.....now that is a nice touch.

TJDave
09-02-2014, 01:30 PM
I can understand the concern. A black man, a teacher and an author?

Shouldn't he be out rioting somewhere?

TJDave
09-02-2014, 01:41 PM
His nom de plume is Voltaer?.....now that is a nice touch.

Who's that?

PaceAdvantage
09-02-2014, 01:41 PM
If we were a healthy country, we would be rioting against the treatment of this man, if I am to take everything written in this thread at face value.

There must be more to this story.

Clocker
09-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Phillips said law enforcement across Delmarva have been sent McLaw's photo and information. The sheriff said McLaw is banned from county properties in Dorchester and Wicomico counties, as well as the Delmar School District.

McLaw has not been arrested or charged with any crime at this time, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office.

So he is not under arrest, and he has not been charged with a crime, and he didn't store guns or bombs in his office at school, but he can't go on public property and he can't travel.

From the local CBS News (http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/08/28/police-teacher-placed-on-leave-for-authoring-fictional-book-of-the-largest-school-massacre/):
“The residence of the teacher in Wicomico County was searched by personnel,” Phillips said, with no weapons found, reports WBOC.”A further check of Maryland State Police databases also proved to be negative as to any weapons registered to him. McLaw was suspended by the Dorchester County Board of Education pending an investigation and is no longer in the area. He is currently at a location known to law enforcement and does not currently have the ability to travel anywhere.”

A USA Today archived story shows that McLaw previously made national news after helping a 14-year-old student self-publish his own e-books on Amazon.

Well, that last bit nails it. The man is obviously a subversive, corrupting minors with writing and self-publishing. You know what that leads to. :eek:

JustRalph
09-02-2014, 02:04 PM
One thing that you have to understand, it's Maryland.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/09/in-cambridge-md-a-soviet-style-punishment-for-a-novelist/379431/

Clocker
09-02-2014, 02:09 PM
It appears that there is more to the story. Somehow the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-teacher-was-not-placed-on-leave-over-books-authorities-say-20140902-story.html) knows more about it than the local media and the local authorities.

baconswitchfarm
09-02-2014, 02:34 PM
My mother works at a school around thirty minutes away. The story is he had written the stories about future school shootings. Had talked to people recently in a way that worried them. Then was discovered to have obtained blueprints and schematics of schools not far away which he did not work at. He obtained them through some back door means. Not at the records office. Lots of schools were put on high alert. I don't know if he was a danger. I know if they knew all this and he shot some place up there would be hell to pay for the authorities.

Tom
09-02-2014, 02:49 PM
I demand that Jimmy Carter be arrested for RAPE.
He admitted he has lusted in his heart.

JustRalph
09-02-2014, 03:04 PM
The Sheriff of that county is a hard nose type and is very well known for being a by the book type.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's lots more to the story that we don't know.

But on the surface? Tom Clancy would have been locked up for life

Clocker
09-02-2014, 03:16 PM
But on the surface? Tom Clancy would have been locked up for life

You are assuming that Clancy wrote his own books? ;)

cj's dad
09-02-2014, 11:30 PM
This story is getting a ton of local press. Here in Md., libs rule ( right Ralph?) so for this story to be a major news item there has to be something more than
we the public are seeing. Trust me on this !!!!!!!!!!!

JustRalph
09-02-2014, 11:53 PM
I demand that Jimmy Carter be arrested for RAPE.
He admitted he has lusted in his heart.

Don't forget that Rabbit that attacked him......... :lol:

cj's dad
09-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Putting things in perspedtive, this is a state that taxes rainfall.

Robert Goren
09-03-2014, 07:43 AM
My mother works at a school around thirty minutes away. The story is he had written the stories about future school shootings. Had talked to people recently in a way that worried them. Then was discovered to have obtained blueprints and schematics of schools not far away which he did not work at. He obtained them through some back door means. Not at the records office. Lots of schools were put on high alert. I don't know if he was a danger. I know if they knew all this and he shot some place up there would be hell to pay for the authorities. In publishing circles, that is called research. That being said, I like others think there has to be more (maybe a lot more) to the story.

JustRalph
09-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Putting things in perspedtive, this is a state that taxes rainfall.

Yep.....I got the hell out right before that started........

cj's dad
09-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Back to the teacher- he has been put on leave and ordered to indergo a mental evaluation. Anyone staying in Md. should have to do the same.