PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Test Link?

Flysofree
09-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Does anyone have one for this.. I did a checkdick and all was ok there (Free)
I can not find a link to a website to check the hard drive.. Several websites from google talk about it but it never leads anywhere that I can tell.

I have not hear the clicks since 2 pm, but I want to test if possible.
Thanks again

PaceAdvantage
09-01-2014, 11:02 PM
If you're hearing clicking from your hard drive, it's about to die. That's pretty much guaranteed. The only question is, how much time does it have left in order for you to salvage everything. I wouldn't wait one second longer than absolutely necessary to get another drive and try and copy everything over.

I did it once, so it can be done. I had a drive that was clicking and even throwing an error or two, but miraculously, I was able to clone the drive onto a new drive with no problem, and all my data was saved...

Flysofree
09-01-2014, 11:20 PM
I have everything backed up now even the Virtual Machine(with the XP mode) on Seagate Slim Portable Drive. I guess the only thing to do now is try and locate an honest (wild guess to that) repair shop and take it in. This is all new to me. It's a desktop model.

Marshall Bennett
09-02-2014, 04:49 AM
What wears out a hard drive faster. it's age or storage usage? Just curious.

HUSKER55
09-02-2014, 01:15 PM
NOT FOR SURE but my guess is that it would be from use since there are moving parts. That is one of the benefits of SSD's touted by the sales staff.

Flysofree
09-02-2014, 02:43 PM
It's been more than 24 hours and I have not heard that clicking noise since yesterday morning. Maybe it's not the hard drive...I could use a winner here..lol

JustRalph
09-02-2014, 02:59 PM
It's been more than 24 hours and I have not heard that clicking noise since yesterday morning. Maybe it's not the hard drive...I could use a winner here..lol

You have moved a bunch of data around. Don't get fooled.

Flysofree
09-02-2014, 03:20 PM
I've come to one conclusion, I'm not going to fix it. if it goes. I am going to maybe look for a Windows 7 computer since I have a backup running. 5 years old it will be one thing after another.

Longshot6977
09-02-2014, 06:50 PM

Since you're asking specifically about this noise, I will respond since no one else mentioned it in either of your threads. Are you SURE you hear a clicking noise eminating from the hard drive? I fixed a friend's machine once when he complained of a 'clicking' noise, but when I opened the case, I found a molex connector intermittently hitting an exhaust fan making a similar noise. Open the case and check that all connectors are clear of all fans including the CPU fan. If the case is shaken or moved, the connector hits the edge of a fan blade and sounds like a 'click'. Just a simple thing for you to check. Good luck.

Flysofree
09-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Thank you! Not certain I can open it...Don't see any place where it comes apart. hp pavilion HPX Model h8 1010

headhawg
09-02-2014, 08:12 PM
NOT FOR SURE but my guess is that it would be from use since there are moving parts. That is one of the benefits of SSD's touted by the sales staff.Sure, SSDs are not mechanical, but they will still be prone to failure because there are a limited number of erase/writes to the NAND flash memory. They are not likely to last longer than a traditional HDD depending on the type of NAND. However, they are incredibly fast by comparison. I would not want to own a computer without one now that I have a couple in my current box.

headhawg
09-02-2014, 08:15 PM
If the case is shaken or moved, the connector hits the edge of a fan blade and sounds like a 'click'. Just a simple thing for you to check. Good luck.Good call, Longshot. With the OP mentioning a couple of times that the click sound has gone away this is a definite possibility.

Flysofree
09-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Thank you! Not certain I can open it...Don't see any place where it comes apart. hp pavilion HPE Model h8 1010 corrected the letters to HPE model

What is an SSD?

headhawg
09-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Here's a link to some how-tos including opening up the case. HP FAQs (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=30983&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5097929)

An SSD is a storage device like a hard drive that uses memory instead of rotating disk platters to store your data.

Flysofree
09-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Here's a link to some how-tos including opening up the case. HP FAQs (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=30983&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5097929)

An SSD is a storage device like a hard drive that uses memory instead of rotating disk platters to store your data.

HUGE Thank YOU!!! That site is very helpful..