PDA

View Full Version : As someone said over in the harness section, Tom Durkin is one who GETS IT

PaceAdvantage
09-01-2014, 01:34 AM
If you didn't hear his speech at the ceremony following his final race call, it's worth listening to...

ZD-bdbPPCuQ

tampahorseplayer
09-01-2014, 01:40 AM
Imo he should go to teaching racetrack ceo's and upper management what the true driving force is in this industry. Had me choked up, he is a great man, and did a great job. Hope he enjoys retirement.

Stillriledup
09-01-2014, 01:41 AM
Imo he should go to teaching racetrack ceo's and upper management what the true driving force is in this industry. Had me choked up, he is a great man, and did a great job. Hope he enjoys retirement.

Hard to imagine anyone who was not choked up watching that.

Powerful moment.

Exotic1
09-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks, PA for posting.

I missed seeing it live.

levinmpa
09-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Tom will live forever in the minds of racing fans and horseplayers through his race calls, his enthusiasm for the game, and especially that speech. Bravo!

thespaah
09-01-2014, 08:50 AM
If you didn't hear his speech at the ceremony following his final race call, it's worth listening to...

ZD-bdbPPCuQ
Beat me to it.
I had planned on starting a thread on this very subject.
Thanks for posting PA..
And Yeah Tom Durkin DOES get(understand) it..

MutuelClerk
09-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Class act.

horses4courses
09-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Already posted in harness section:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/01/sports/and-hes-off-a-track-legend-calls-it-a-career.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

“There is one person that is completely responsible for this wonderful life that I’ve had the privilege to live in horse racing,” he said. “That person is here in Saratoga today. Right now he’s in the backyard sitting at a picnic table under a pine tree looking at this image on the television. She’s at the top of the stretch leaning over the rail, and she’s in a box seat or at a simulcast center in Syracuse or a track in Ohio or in front of a computer terminal in California.”

Then, his voice caught and the tears tumbled. “The person that I owe an inexpressible gratitude is you,” he said. “The racing fan, the horse player. Thank you.”

Stillriledup
09-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Tom made races memorable that otherwise would not have been nearly as memorable.

There have been hundreds and hundreds of Grade 1 races in the years that Tom has been in the sport, but when you ask racing customers which are the most memorable, people talk about "One final acceleration" and "Tiznow wins it for America" , "Rachel WON" and of course, the unbeatable Cigar.

Redboard
09-01-2014, 11:02 AM
End of an era.

FantasticDan
09-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Outstanding. :ThmbUp: :)

The only thing he got wrong was, "an OTB parlor in Syracuse", Onondaga County won't allow them. Syracusans have to hit the road east or west for some OTB action :ThmbDown: ;)

Shelby
09-01-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm going to miss him a lot. What a great man.

ArlJim78
09-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Two great things about Durkin's thank you to fans and horseplayers.

First it was his only thank you. It didn't come at the end of a long list. For example others might have thanked everyone they could think of and then at the end added "and finally I want to thank all the fans and horseplayers out there for making my career possible".

second was the emotion, how he got so choked up on that thank you that he had trouble getting the words out.

"Long live horse racing and long live Saratoga! And that's that."

What a guy.

BMustang
09-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Tom is such a human, human being. Sincere, no frills, not about me, not above the game, and has a deep appreciation for being allowed to be a part of it. They simply don't make them like that anymore!

I made the trip to Saratoga for only the second time in my life this year, simply to sit there and let Tom tell me to have a "great day at the Spaaaaa." It's been a great run. He will never be forgotten.

thespaah
09-01-2014, 11:43 AM
I chose my username in honor of Tom Durkin.
Of course his rendition has more "aaaaaaa's in it.
Now that Tom has retired, I am considering changing to another username.
Or should I keep it as a tribute?
What do you guys think?

Redboard
09-01-2014, 11:49 AM
I chose my username in honor of Tom Durkin.
Of course his rendition has more "aaaaaaa's in it.
Now that Tom has retired, I am considering changing to another username.
Or should I keep it as a tribute?
What do you guys think?

Definitely keep it. Tom's still going to be at the SPA in the summer, it's not like he's gone.

Redboard
09-01-2014, 11:52 AM
He’s like that one-on-one just as he is talking to a large crowd. Someone with his success and accomplishments, you would have thought that some condescension would have seeped into his personality. Nope.

BetHorses!
09-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks for posting

Redbullsnation
09-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Tom is such a human, human being. Sincere, no frills, not about me, not above the game, and has a deep appreciation for being allowed to be a part of it. They simply don't make them like that anymore!

I made the trip to Saratoga for only the second time in my life this year, simply to sit there and let Tom tell me to have a "great day at the Spaaaaa." It's been a great run. He will never be forgotten.
Or have a good day at the big A. Gonna miss Tom but we gain a great track announcer in Larry Collmus

tanner12oz
09-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Saw the thank you speech earlier today...what an amazing guy

thespaah
09-01-2014, 08:21 PM
It is my hope that Tom Durkin shows up during next year's Spa meet and mingles with the people.
I understand he owns a home in Saratoga Springs.

tanner12oz
09-01-2014, 08:23 PM
I dont see how he could stay away with the passion he has more the game..

Tara73
09-01-2014, 08:34 PM
I admire Tom ' s timing. Realizing it was time to hang up the microphone and go out on top.

RarifiedAir
09-01-2014, 08:50 PM
For me... Tom Durkin is for racing what Pat Summerall was for the NFL. He was "The Voice" for big games and Thanksgiving dinner I just felt at home with. Tom was just that for me for Derby and Breeders.

plainolebill
09-02-2014, 12:06 AM
All class.

Stillriledup
09-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Tom, in rare form!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPPsZ9t54dg

ArlJim78
09-02-2014, 10:56 AM
"the horses are in the clubhouse turn. Get the flock out of there":lol:

taxicab
09-02-2014, 03:23 PM
He was the best I ever heard.
He also seems like a really good guy.

foregoforever
09-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Professor Durkin Explains The Dosage Theory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQiWuOu2ZXY

I miss those ESPN skits.

cj
09-02-2014, 06:38 PM
I have a unique perspective. I grew up with Larry Collmus and we were listening closely to announcers for a long time, well before most people heard many race calls. There was no simulcasting or watching at home. At the track, you usually could barely hear the announcer. I touch on this in my blog which comes out tomorrow.

Larry knew what he wanted to do even as a teenager and he worked hard at it. No trip to the track was complete without listening to cassettes of recorded stakes races from television. It didn't matter if we went to a local track in Maryland, or CharlesTown, or even places as far as Garden State or the Meadowlands. I remember meeting Tom Durkin when he was the back up announcer to Dave Johnson long ago. I think he called the first race every day for thoroughbreds, but I could be wrong, and was the full time harness announcer. At that point, in my opinion, he was already better than Dave Johnson...and he got better. The bigger the stage, the better Durkin was.

So Sunday was an odd day. I'm of course thrilled for Larry. I'm also sad to see Tom go. He wasn't as good at 64 as he was 10 or 20 years ago. Who cares? The guy loved the game and painted a great picture of what was transpiring on the track. He has a great voice. I have little doubt Larry will do great and make his own mark. But Tom Durkin was a pioneer in the field, and his calls will live on every time great races of the last 30 years are shown...as they should.

lamboguy
09-02-2014, 07:02 PM
not having Durkin to announce New York horse racing will be a big deal going forward. i may be seeing this the wrong way, but without Tom at the mike, i think handle will be way down. i hope i am wrong. but i remember when i went to the track years ago, people always wanted to hear his race calls. i don't think there is another announcer that people pay as much attention to.

Stillriledup
09-01-2015, 01:22 AM
Tom has been retired from announcing one full year today.

Boy does time fly.

Seems like yesterday he was thanking the horseplayers. Watch his speech in the OP, it's worth listening to again.