08-29-2014, 01:42 PM
oh yeah and screw jim rome.

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 01:49 PM
oh yeah and screw jim rome.

Why?

GaryG
08-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Regardless how you feel about Jim Rome's radio/TV persona he has always been respectful and polite at the track (at least whenever I have seen him). I would take him in a nanosecond over that bozo with CC.

Smarty Cide
08-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Regardless how you feel about Jim Rome's radio/TV persona he has always been respectful and polite at the track (at least whenever I have seen him). I would take him in a nanosecond over that bozo with CC.

ill always side with a good rags to riches story... Chromes story craps on Shared Belief no matter what. Was a great ride in the spring that will not be soon forgotten... Shared Belief yeah he could win the Classic but im pretty sure most would rather be the toast of the horse racing world the first Saturday in May... Let alone the 5 week bonanza as a whole.

ArlJim78
08-29-2014, 02:03 PM
as an owner Rome has been polite, respectful, appears knowledgeable and loves the game. Why can't we just leave the owners out of it and enjoy these two top horses? it seems that some people don't understand that what you see on radio or TV is often just a persona, and does not necessarily reflect what that person is really like.

ronsmac
08-29-2014, 02:08 PM
ill always side with a good rags to riches story... Chromes story craps on Shared Belief no matter what. Was a great ride in the spring that will not be soon forgotten... Shared Belief yeah he could win the Classic but im pretty sure most would rather be the toast of the horse racing world the first Saturday in May... Let alone the 5 week bonanza as a whole.I've liked California Chrome the horse since that last Cal bred win I didn't care one way or another about the owner. Coburn was entertaining with his 2 day rant after the Belmont though. I really wanted to see him play one on one basketball with a skilled wheelchair bound player. I think the kid would've won . No way Coburn would've lasted past 4 minutes without serious heart problems.

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Rome has been nothing short of sensational as an owner. He's amazing for the game, he constantly talks racing on his radio show and his tv show, he's a big deal, a LOT of people are listening to his words and comments and he always talks about how amazing the sport is.

Relwob Owner
08-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Why is/was Rome a douche bag? Because when he was younger, he was outspoken and talked a fair amount of trash? If so, reminds me A LOT of you on this forum until California Chrome lost......

Rome is smart, has a lot of people interested in his horse and the game now that wouldn't be otherwise and owns a horse that will kick the crap out of Calufornia Chrome if they meet.

Rex Phinney
08-29-2014, 05:25 PM
LOL at Smarty Cide taking some flak. Didn't you pretty much use the exact same douche bag line before?

I just can't get behind Coburn anymore, his antics at the Belmont were terrible. Rome has done right by his horse giving him the time to get right even as the spotlight disappeared. Even beyond this horse Rome has done more for racing than most people care to know. He always has trainers and jocks on the show now. He is trying to get the sport some exposure. In the meantime he is nothing but courteous and polite around the track. I've run into him twice at Santa Anita and both times he was a real pleasure.

As for the horses, you gotta pull for Shared Belief. I mean c'mon the guy has to sit out 6 months and everyone forgets about him. He is 6 for 6 right now he seems to be more of an all around freak from the first day at the track than Chrome. Chrome IMO is a very good horse who got hot at the right time, he is not the all around freak that SB is.

That whippet step SB had in the turn at Del Mar was an incredible show of athleticism, the last time I saw a horse get down and whippet kick likethat was St. Trinnians against Zenyatta.. His motion IMO is not perfect, but somehow he gets the job done.

And yes I just used the term "Whippet kick"

OntheRail
08-29-2014, 06:34 PM

Whippet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEVqFB4WUo) :D

Smarty Cide
08-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Why is/was Rome a douche bag? Because when he was younger, he was outspoken and talked a fair amount of trash? If so, reminds me A LOT of you on this forum until California Chrome lost......

Rome is smart, has a lot of people interested in his horse and the game now that wouldn't be otherwise and owns a horse that will kick the crap out of Calufornia Chrome if they meet.

2 differences... 1 at least im funny and 2 rome is a big know it all and he dont know shit... especially about football.. i dont claim to know it all i only claimed to know California Chrome was the best 3 year old this spring. it was a no brainer... and if u think for a sec if he dont get a nice chunk taken out his foot at the gate in belmont we dont got a triple crown winner then you just crazy... but i did predict that like i kept saying "something always goes wrong at belmont"

Smarty Cide
08-29-2014, 07:09 PM
LOL at Smarty Cide taking some flak. Didn't you pretty much use the exact same douche bag line before?

I just can't get behind Coburn anymore, his antics at the Belmont were terrible. Rome has done right by his horse giving him the time to get right even as the spotlight disappeared. Even beyond this horse Rome has done more for racing than most people care to know. He always has trainers and jocks on the show now. He is trying to get the sport some exposure. In the meantime he is nothing but courteous and polite around the track. I've run into him twice at Santa Anita and both times he was a real pleasure.

As for the horses, you gotta pull for Shared Belief. I mean c'mon the guy has to sit out 6 months and everyone forgets about him. He is 6 for 6 right now he seems to be more of an all around freak from the first day at the track than Chrome. Chrome IMO is a very good horse who got hot at the right time, he is not the all around freak that SB is.

That whippet step SB had in the turn at Del Mar was an incredible show of athleticism, the last time I saw a horse get down and whippet kick likethat was St. Trinnians against Zenyatta.. His motion IMO is not perfect, but somehow he gets the job done.

yes i did use the same douche line before... c'mon its a good line.... im gonna get some mileage outta that one.... anyway i do agree shared belief has looked good but i kinda think people forget how good chrome was all spring now hes rested. will be a great classic

taxicab
08-29-2014, 08:19 PM
I'll wait for the race to get a little closer.
But I must admit I'm kind of fascinated by our good friend Smarty Cide's hatred of all things Jim Rome. :D :D

horses4courses
08-29-2014, 08:26 PM
They can hype this one up all they want.
Until CC comes out of his next race (likely at Parx)
as a healthy horse, with at least a semblance
of his former brilliance, this billing won't fly.

I hope it happens, but you can't get carried away quite yet.

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 08:35 PM

Why would anyone get carried away? How is this race/matchup going to help anyone make a score at the windows? :)

horses4courses
08-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Why would anyone get carried away? How is this race/matchup going to help anyone make a score at the windows? :)

Oh, we've always got the next at Penn or Chuck Town for that :liar:

ArlJim78
08-29-2014, 08:57 PM

So you hope it happens but you're not getting carried away quite yet. got it.
We wouldn't want anyone getting carried away ahead of time.
Please let us know when it's okay to get carried away though. thanks.

horses4courses
08-29-2014, 09:02 PM

Who pissed in your Cheerios, dude?

All I'm saying is we are a prep race away from
seeing if the Derby/Preakness winner is up to it.

Chill out.

Relwob Owner
08-29-2014, 11:08 PM
2 differences... 1 at least im funny and 2 rome is a big know it all and he dont know shit... especially about football.. i dont claim to know it all i only claimed to know California Chrome was the best 3 year old this spring. it was a no brainer... and if u think for a sec if he dont get a nice chunk taken out his foot at the gate in belmont we dont got a triple crown winner then you just crazy... but i did predict that like i kept saying "something always goes wrong at belmont"

I have always appreciated your enthusiasm but have never read anything in the ballpark of being funny coming from your end.

As far as the chunk getting taken out of him, thats an excuse that I guess we will never really know was valid or not. As far as your "prediction" that something always goes wrong at Belmont-I wouldn't really take credit for that or say "I told you so" on that , as it was pretty much a security blanket hedge of sorts that let you cover your ass in case the horse you were so devoted to lost.

As far as your anti Rome obsession goes, take a look at the owners of the horse you back......I would take Rome over that blowhard Coburn any day. Also, for someone who "don't know shit", he sure has had a pretty successful career, no????

PaceAdvantage
09-01-2014, 02:42 AM
yes i did use the same douche line before... c'mon its a good line.... im gonna get some mileage outta that one.... anyway i do agree shared belief has looked good but i kinda think people forget how good chrome was all spring now hes rested. will be a great classicActually, instead of getting good mileage, you're about 1 second away from being permanently banned.

classhandicapper
09-01-2014, 09:23 AM
My feeling is that the Shared Belief of right now could beat the CA Chrome of the spring, but if CA Chrome develops like the typical 3yo we are going to have a hell of a horse race.

The one question mark I have with CC is that he had already developed a ton from his early form going into the spring, so he may be less likely to develop further or as much as the average horse.

Smarty Cide
09-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Actually, instead of getting good mileage, you're about 1 second away from being permanently banned.

um... its a joke.. like funny ha ha... but so i get it was it the 'D' word or the 'V' word that im not allowed to say?

sammy the sage
09-01-2014, 10:02 AM
um... its a joke.. like funny ha ha... but so i get it was it the 'D' word or the 'V' word that im not allowed to say?

I would IMAGINE that IF you avoided using BOTH...esp...in THE context you presented...you might improve your smarts :lol:

and be more like YORE moniker touts... ;)

Rex Phinney
09-01-2014, 01:45 PM
My feeling is that the Shared Belief of right now could beat the CA Chrome of the spring, but if CA Chrome develops like the typical 3yo we are going to have a hell of a horse race.

The one question mark I have with CC is that he had already developed a ton from his early form going into the spring, so he may be less likely to develop further or as much as the average horse.

I've said before CC would have to go unicorn status and take to the sky to get any better. Chances are it won't happen. Shared belief also looked a very tactical professional racehorse in the Pacific Classic.

I think the Classic field as a whole is going to be one of the best in recent memory

RarifiedAir
09-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Read a lot don't post much... Time for my 2 cents since this intrigues me. Rome is one of the best things to happen to horse racing. His shows are big time and he promotes the game frequently. We need that type of thing. Coburn is fine I get what he did a lot of emotions and he had to be worn out. He's good for the game too.

Purely horse vs horse? My gut says Shared Belief is miles ahead of Chrome right now and my gut mostly does better than my handicapping. A shame they can't get in a race for just 3 year olds before November.

ronsmac
09-01-2014, 07:16 PM
I've said before CC would have to go unicorn status and take to the sky to get any better. Chances are it won't happen. Shared belief also looked a very tactical professional racehorse in the Pacific Classic.

I think the Classic field as a whole is going to be one of the best in recent memoryI think the field will be extremely weak, thus the 2 3yos could be the 2 betting choices. There's no Tiznow or St.Liam or Ghostzappers amongst this yrs. older horses.

horses4courses
09-20-2014, 06:27 PM

I'm letting you know now.
Knock yourself out.

RarifiedAir
09-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Like I said... Chrome is nowhere ready to take on Shared. Go ahead and enter the classic you will be embarrassed by the jungle.

Hoofless_Wonder
09-21-2014, 12:21 AM
I'm letting you know now.
Knock yourself out.

:D

Classic. Another example of when somebody shoots their mouth off, it can come around and haunt them.

I'm bummed CC didn't run better today, as I was looking forward to betting against him in the Classic. Maybe he'll bounce back, but right now he looks like another 3YO that peaked in the spring, and won't ever be the same.

Tom
09-21-2014, 09:48 AM
CC can work his eyeballs out between now and the BC, he will not make my list of contenders no matter what he does. He might win and bite me, but I will not back a horse who looked that bad with no more races to prep. He is my first throw out. My opinion is his owners put easy money over what was best for the horse. Horses can overcome a bad pace, off track, minor aches and pains, but they can't overcome stupid owners.

I'm looking at Wicked Strong now as the one who has the best chance of stepping to fill the void in the older division.

classhandicapper
09-21-2014, 10:11 AM
CC can work his eyeballs out between now and the BC, he will not make my list of contenders no matter what he does. He might win and bite me, but I will not back a horse who looked that bad with no more races to prep. He is my first throw out. My opinion is his owners put easy money over what was best for the horse. Horses can overcome a bad pace, off track, minor aches and pains, but they can't overcome stupid owners.

I have to agree with you.

For a 3yo to win the Classic, they have to be moving forward. Not only did he not move forward, he went backwards. Even if you want to assume he can get back to his best 2nd off the layoff, that doesn't get the job done. His best lifetime race so far will not be good enough to win the Classic.

I think that was always a bigger risk with this horse than a horse like Shared Belief. CC didn't come out running and look like a good one right away. He developed a ton early in the year. You had to winder how much development was left.

burnsy
09-21-2014, 11:02 AM
I have to agree with you.

For a 3yo to win the Classic, they have to be moving forward. Not only did he not move forward, he went backwards. Even if you want to assume he can get back to his best 2nd off the layoff, that doesn't get the job done. His best lifetime race so far will not be good enough to win the Classic.

I think that was always a bigger risk with this horse than a horse like Shared Belief. CC didn't come out running and look like a good one right away. He developed a ton early in the year. You had to winder how much development was left.

I kind of been saying the Triple crown races are more hype than proof because of this fact. The 2yo schedule is slight, most of these horses prep one or two races. The spring and early summer races produce the early winners but some of these 3 yo's are just getting started. After yesterday its hard to deny the best classic horses right now ran in the Travers as 3 yo's with the exception of Shared Belief. What happens when these horses are 2 years old is practically meaningless and the difference between May and August to September is enormous. This isn't the first year its happened either. This has been the trend.

NY BRED
09-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Shared Belief proved he is the best Three year old in America with
his win in the Pacific Classic against older horses.

Whatever the excuse for CC, be it conditioning and/or a speed favoring
track, Champions overcome these types of situations.

It is conceivable CC ran his career top too early in his career,
and perhaps the best solution is not to pursue the Breeders Cup
and either be retired and/or aimed for returning to the races in 2015.

OTM Al
09-21-2014, 11:25 AM
If they meet in the BC Classic and the sort of advertising we've seen continues, it will have all the flair of the great Bernardini vs Lava Man showdown. Made good money that day and hoping history repeats.

burnsy
09-21-2014, 11:43 AM
If the race were today...California Chrome and Bayern would be the first two I toss and these two will probably burn some good amount of $ too.

castaway01
09-21-2014, 12:50 PM

I'm looking at Wicked Strong now as the one who has the best chance of stepping to fill the void in the older division.

I'm not sure about the last sentence, but totally agree with the first paragraph.

ronsmac
09-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Shared Belief proved he is the best Three year old in America with
his win in the Pacific Classic against older horses.

Whatever the excuse for CC, be it conditioning and/or a speed favoring
track, Champions overcome these types of situations.

It is conceivable CC ran his career top too early in his career,
and perhaps the best solution is not to pursue the Breeders Cup
and either be retired and/or aimed for returning to the races in 2015.I'm giving CC one more race before I throw him to the scrap heap. With that said, Shared Belief looks like a beast, the only bad thing is his price.

Rex Phinney
09-21-2014, 02:24 PM
If the race were today...California Chrome and Bayern would be the first two I toss and these two will probably burn some good amount of $ too.

CC is out for me.

I can't toss Bayern until Moreno is officially in. Once that happens then yes Bayern at 10f is a bad bet

NY BRED
09-21-2014, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=ronsmac]I'm giving CC one more race before I throw him to the scrap heap.

I understand your thought, frankly an incredible story on CC as respects
the purchase price and his record leading to the Belmont.

I'm trying to disassociate myself from the thought of Steve Coburn,
and I'm amazed at the transformation of Mr. Rome, certain the SB
winning streak has softened him(to date).

Should these two horses meet in the Breeders Cup it certainly will be
one of the best matches ever in the Breeders Cup. Perhaps the interviews
between both owners could also set sparks.

Hopefully this match will happen, wishing both horses will be healthy
and properly conditioned for the event.