PDA

View Full Version : Ladies & Gentlemen:

HUSKER55
08-29-2014, 11:45 AM
I am having one of those days that is supposed to happen to somebody else. Today,....that lucky, (and handsome :rolleyes: :D ), distinguished gentleman is me.

I have remembered why I hate computers. It is because they screw the living crap out of you at the most inconvenient time.

Today I was informed by excel that I had put an "if statement" in wrong. Instead of letting me correct it MS wiped out all of my formulas on every page in my book.

NEVER FORGET TO MAKE A COPY ON A SEPARATE DISC IN CASE OF SUCH EMERGENCIES.

I called MS and I was told they are working on it and an update would be available soon.

I think I got brushed off.

Don't forget your backups!

Tom
08-29-2014, 02:56 PM
IF you like your formulas............... tough!
VE decide IF you keep them!

:lol:

HUSKER55
08-29-2014, 08:08 PM
just for that.....you are next :lol:

Tom
08-29-2014, 11:26 PM
MS has been stalking me for years! :D

HUSKER55
08-30-2014, 08:34 AM
well they missed an nailed me......I am less than a happy camper :D

DeltaLover
08-30-2014, 08:42 AM
I nient time.

Instead of letting me correct it MS wiped out all of my formulas on every page in my book.

NEVER FORGET TO MAKE A COPY ON A SEPARATE DISC IN CASE OF SUCH EMERGENCIES.

What is preferable when it comes to things like formulas, coding and in general any document that might change due time is to keep it in a version control system as opposed of merely backing it up.

I strongly suggest the use of git: https://github.com/. It is a completely free if you decide to place your stuff on the open domain or if you prefer a private repo it is as cheap as $7/ month. There is a small learning curve associated with it, but if you are anywhere serious about your documents it certainly worths the effort..

HUSKER55
08-30-2014, 11:28 AM
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO! REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

FocusWiz
08-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Not that it is particularly straightforward for this particular situation, but this is one of the reasons why I use SugarSync to keep my spreadsheets copied among several computers. They also maintain several prior versions which are accessible if you need them sufficiently urgently enough to search through and read their website very carefully. Plus, if something happens to the entire drive (or computer), the information is in several additional places.

As I recall, this information (though their latest) is not quite up-to-date:

https://support.sugarsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/202368620-Recovering-older-versions-of-files