PDA

View Full Version : Windows startup issue

upthecreek
08-29-2014, 08:29 AM
I have a Dell Dimension desktop E 520 with windows vista
Yesterday the computer froze and was shut down by the power button,now it won't restart what I've tried:
Startup repair
Repair your computer
Try to boot in safe mode(unsuccessful)
Tried to startup from DVD drive w/ recovery disk(unsuccessful)
Dell diagnostic screen( I get a hardware error and option to reboot) unsuccessful
There is an option to "boot to utility partition" but it says I'll lose all saved info? So I haven't tried that
I'm open to any suggestions I hate to call the service tech @$100 hr as I'm getting a new all-in-one @Xmas
Thanks in advance!!!

DJofSD
08-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Tried to startup from DVD drive w/ recovery disk(unsuccessful)

In what way did it not work?

Did it fail to boot from the recovery disk?

Or, did it boot from the recovery DVD but the repair did not work?

upthecreek
08-29-2014, 08:53 AM
In what way did it not work?

Did it fail to boot from the recovery disk?

Or, did it boot from the recovery DVD but the repair did not work?
Didn't boot

DJofSD
08-29-2014, 08:57 AM
So, it can not boot using the optical drive. That is not good.

Can you get into the BIOS set up? If so, is it configured to allow a boot from the optical drive, and/or, is the optical drive at the top of the list of devices to try to boot from?

upthecreek
08-29-2014, 09:07 AM
It says you may have to change the bios setting to allow to boot from DVD drive,but I have no idea how to to that

DJofSD
08-29-2014, 09:31 AM
It says you may have to change the bios setting to allow to boot from DVD drive,but I have no idea how to to that
I was not able to quickly find an image of the BIOS set up screen.

To get into the BIOS screen, power off the PC, then power it back on and then repeat pressing then releasing of the F2 key. This should fairly quickly show you a screen that will say something about "BIOS". (What I found on the internet in a couple of places is for that make and model PC, F2 is the key used to enter the BIOS.)

You can navigate using the 4 cursor control keys. Along the top is a main menu list of items and 1 of those should be something like boot order. Use the cursor right arrow to move to that menu item then press enter.

See if the CD/DVD drive is allowed to be used during a boot. If it is not then change it to be allowed during a boot process. Then move the cursor to save and exit. Save the changes. It will then try to restart.

If the BIOS change is successful then you should be able to place the DVD into the drive to attempt a repair -- if it is needed. At this point it is still not clear if the hard drive is working. But first, you should be able to, at a minimum, boot from the CD/DVD drive and using the repair disk is a good place to start.

upthecreek
08-29-2014, 09:39 AM
OK thanks I'll try later today and see what happens
Thnx for the help

DJofSD
08-29-2014, 09:54 AM
OK, GL.

Others like JR might add some additional help.

Basically, what I wanted to determine is, beyond being able to just turn it on, is the BIOS OK, and, can the PC at least boot using the optical drive. If the thing powers up, passes POST and can boot from a CD/DVD then that is a decent platform to do some more poking around to try and determine what else is wrong with the PC.

At a high level, it is divide and conquer. In this case, another step will be to find out if the problem is hardware or software. If hardware, it is likely the hard drive has a problem. If it is software, the Windows OS has a problem. But, for the moment, getting the PC to be able to boot using the optical drive is at the top of the to-do list.

forced89
08-29-2014, 10:14 AM
I have limited PC knowledge but when I had a similar problem I was told to do the following and it worked:

# Remove Battery
# Disconnect A/C Power
# Hold Down Power Button 30 Seconds
# Reconnect A/C Power
# Turn On
# Replace Battery

My problem may have been something entirely different but no harm trying.

DJofSD
08-29-2014, 10:18 AM
I have limited PC knowledge but when I had a similar problem I was told to do the following and it worked:

# Remove Battery
# Disconnect A/C Power
# Hold Down Power Button 30 Seconds
# Reconnect A/C Power
# Turn On
# Replace Battery

My problem may have been something entirely different but no harm trying.
That is always a good thing to do when there are problems with a laptop. But in this case, it is a desktop.

vegasone
08-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Lot of times when a system freezes like that and won"t reboot, it could be hard drive crashed
Would check all conections.

upthecreek
08-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Unsuccessful
I can boot from the CD/dvd drive It says "windows is loading files" and then I get a black screen with a white cursor Theres no windows logo or setup or repair option
I don't know if its even worth mixing or just take it to the trash tomorrow
Thanks again for the help

DJofSD
08-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Unsuccessful
I can boot from the CD/dvd drive It says "windows is loading files" and then I get a black screen with a white cursor Theres no windows logo or setup or repair option
I don't know if its even worth mixing or just take it to the trash tomorrow
Thanks again for the help
Wow! What a head scratcher.

I assume it has passed the POST.

Just to be sure, the optical drive is being used for the boot -- can you hear the disc spinning?

Longshot6977
08-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Believe it or not, this can be caused by a faulty power supply unit. Happened to me a while back.

upthecreek
08-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Wow! What a head scratcher.

I assume it has passed the POST.

Just to be sure, the optical drive is being used for the boot -- can you hear the disc spinning?
Yes I have to hit the F12 key and choose to boot from DVD and then here the CD loading

DJofSD
08-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Believe it or not, this can be caused by a faulty power supply unit. Happened to me a while back.
Yes, I've seen similar.

It has gotten to the point where I'm wondering about things like the PS.

Short (no pun) of swapping out the PS with a new one, what can we do to determine if that's where the failure is?

OTOH, I think a decent PS costs $50-75. I've replaced a few and do not find it a difficult task -- but that's me.

upthecreek
08-30-2014, 09:41 AM
How would I check that?
Thnx

DJofSD
08-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Yes I have to hit the F12 key and choose to boot from DVD and then here the CD loading
OK, thanks for the confirmation.

See the post immediately above about the power supply.

Being able to boot from the optical drive and to load something like the Windows repair app, or, something else similar, is pretty fundamental. Not being able to complete that makes me suspect there is something wrong, such as, the power supply. I'm assuming since you are not hearing any beeps which would indicate a failure detected by POST, that the memory is OK.

Do you think you could swap out a power supply?

DJofSD
08-30-2014, 09:50 AM
How would I check that?
Thnx
Two ways: break out your VOM and start checking voltages or use some shade tree mechanic techniques -- replace, one at a time, the easiest, cheapest to buy pieces in the chain.

So, it could either be the power supply, the optical drive, a loose connector, or, .... somethings which are very unlikely.

I go along with the suggestion the power supply could be at the root of all of the problems. They do fail, and, usually the company that builds the PC uses the cheapest ones they can get.

DJofSD
08-30-2014, 09:56 AM
A bit more than $75: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-NH493-Dimension-Desktop-L305P-01/dp/B001R5MNI4

A demo -- might not be exactly your system but it will demo the steps for a system that is very similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CHYFHGgoAfE

upthecreek
08-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks I think you guys made the decision for me--an early Xmas present I'm going computer shopping tomorrow
Thanks to everybody for your time and help!

upthecreek
08-30-2014, 12:50 PM
How hard is it to get info off the old HD? A quick Google search at howtogeek made it look pretty simple I just want a couple folders/files
Thnx again

headhawg
08-30-2014, 01:11 PM
Assuming that you're just talking about data of some sort (pix, vids, Bris files, etc.) you would just need to connect the power and data cables from the new 'puter to the old drive. This will work assuming your old HDD isn't bad. Any programs would have to be reinstalled unless they are like Handifast which runs without an installation.

Make sure that opening the new box doesn't void the warranty, though.

upthecreek
08-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Would this work?

SABRENT USB 3.0 TO SATA/IDE 2.5/3.5/5.25-INCH Hard Drive Converter With Power Supply & LED Activity Lights

Thnx

Longshot6977
08-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Would this work?

SABRENT USB 3.0 TO SATA/IDE 2.5/3.5/5.25-INCH Hard Drive Converter With Power Supply & LED Activity Lights

Thnx

Yes, that is what I was going to mention, but see you found something similar. They work great using another working PC. (as long as the old HDD isn't shot, which it most likely isn't.

Like I said before, the PS may be the culprit here, so maybe try a new one 1st. Usually comes out with 4 screws from the rear and I believe all the cables will fit one way so you really can't make a mistake unless you force something. Take a photo before you start if you're not sure. About 15 minutes is needed for this simple replacement.

DJofSD
08-30-2014, 09:24 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-haswell-e-x99-ddr4-cyberpowerpc,27573.html?linkId=9444893

Yes, I'm kidding but it would be really nice to have a new desktop with all of that power!