PDA

View Full Version : H Lanci, Penn National jock extraordinare

Stillriledup
08-28-2014, 09:52 PM
He's 40 0 0 0 at the meet heading into tonight's action.

I wonder what the record for futility is, amount of starts in a row without at least a 3rd place finish.

For a jockey i mean. :D

Shemp Howard
08-28-2014, 10:04 PM

I wonder what the record for futility is, amount of starts in a row without at least a 3rd place finish.

Funny. I was expecting a "strong effort tonight."

affirmedny
08-28-2014, 10:09 PM
he lost hid best mount:

http://www.drf.com/news/zippy-chippy-finishes-2nd-fair

The 12-year-old gelding rolled to the lead under jockey Howard Lanci after breaking from the far outside post and held a five-length advantage at one point after another horse bore out and scattered the field. Short Notice and jockey Edgar Paucar avoided the tie-up, however, and steadily caught Zippy Chippy in the stretch to win by 1 1/2 lengths.

proximity
08-28-2014, 10:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo_QrixLSSc

seriously, until I hear that mr lanci is having "laughs by the gap" about paceadvantage threads, I have nothing bad to say about the guy. i'm sure a good agent there like kofalt would have him right in the thick of things anyhow.

bello
08-28-2014, 10:47 PM
I was at Charlestown a couple of weeks ago when he won a 4.5 furlong sprint. He was celebrating like an apprentice who just won his first race. It was great to see.

I asked him, who is this new apprentice Lanci kid?. He cracked up and said " "yeah, I wish, maybe 40 years ago". He was having a great time.

AlbertButtry
08-28-2014, 11:57 PM
I was at Charlestown a couple of weeks ago when he won a 4.5 furlong sprint. He was celebrating like an apprentice who just won his first race. It was great to see.

I asked him, who is this new apprentice Lanci kid?. He cracked up and said " "yeah, I wish, maybe 40 years ago". He was having a great time.

Smoking Green is the horse. I believe that was his second win in a row on him. He is in on 8/29 at Ct. Going off 9/5!

menifee
08-29-2014, 02:03 AM
Fancy Howard Lanci is a legend. Arrested 24 times and still out there trying to make a living. Former drug addict, but would not take money to fix races at CT when this was common. Jockey colony there in the 90's didn't like him because he would not tie up horses to fix races - said he was dangerous and tried to get him banned from the track. Covered in T.D. Thornton's book.

castaway01
08-29-2014, 08:27 AM

For someone who is endlessly posting brainless garbage, I shouldn't be surprised, but how do you not bother to even take the time to look up Lanzi's history before you single him out? Are you just that ignorant? He's been riding for nearly 40 years and has had a lot of interesting and tough times in his life. Between the addiction battles and the race fixing (which he wouldn't take part in when others did), really strange choice for someone of your alleged deep and vast knowledge of the game (haha) to not know a thing about and just laugh at.

bello
08-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Fancy Howard Lanci is a legend. Arrested 24 times and still out there trying to make a living. Former drug addict, but would not take money to fix races at CT when this was common. Jockey colony there in the 90's didn't like him because he would not tie up horses to fix races - said he was dangerous and tried to get him banned from the track. Covered in T.D. Thornton's book.

Well he was certainly a hit at Charles Town a couple of weeks ago. Looks like he is starting a new life. In the winners circle with his wife and kids, hands up in the air after the win in celebration. Lots of accolades from all on his walk back to the jocks room, and holding his age quite well. Does not at all look like a washed up jock to me in his ride nor in his attitude. I wish him the best. Spoken from a washed up horse player. I wish I looked that good.

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 01:20 PM
For someone who is endlessly posting brainless garbage, I shouldn't be surprised, but how do you not bother to even take the time to look up Lanzi's history before you single him out? Are you just that ignorant? He's been riding for nearly 40 years and has had a lot of interesting and tough times in his life. Between the addiction battles and the race fixing (which he wouldn't take part in when others did), really strange choice for someone of your alleged deep and vast knowledge of the game (haha) to not know a thing about and just laugh at.

Um, his record said 40 000. That's what i posted about. I never said he was a bad guy or a good guy or any kind of guy.

Does it matter if Mother Teresa is 40 000 or OJ Simpson is 40 000? The topic is about a jock who's had 40 rides and 0 in the money finishes. Not about "interesting" or "Tough" Times.

We all have interesting times in our lives and most of us have tough times too, but i'm not sure what that has to do with a 40 000 record.

If a jock doesn't want to get posted about and discussed, maybe he or she should try finishing at least 3rd once.

I find it fascinating that someone can have 40 rides in a row at a minor league track and not ONE 3rd place finish. Im sorry if you feel offended, if you wanted to start a topic about Lanci and his interesting life, why didn't you?

TonyK@HSH
08-29-2014, 03:37 PM
While it is true that Howard has not won at Pen this year- the following should be noted.

1) Howard is heavy (tacks about 124) and therefore draws no live mounts.
2) All riders should note how hard Howard rides- no easing up at the wire even when helplessly beaten. Howard rides all his mounts a stride or two PAST the finish line similar to the way Pete Rose always ran out a ground ball.

More successful riders can learn from him

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 03:50 PM
While it is true that Howard has not won at Pen this year- the following should be noted.

1) Howard is heavy (tacks about 124) and therefore draws no live mounts.
2) All riders should note how hard Howard rides- no easing up at the wire even when helplessly beaten. Howard rides all his mounts a stride or two PAST the finish line similar to the way Pete Rose always ran out a ground ball.

More successful riders can learn from him

Hopefully this thread may shine some light on him and he can get some mounts who could run. Maybe someone there can throw him a bone and put him on a live one?

Mineshaft
08-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Hopefully this thread may shine some light on him and he can get some mounts who could run. Maybe someone there can throw him a bone and put him on a live one?

Tubby might have a few live ones for him.

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Tubby might have a few live ones for him.

Lets do this!

Lets make PA the place where jocks get mount

Shemp Howard
08-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Owner's Day @Penn might be a good place for Lanci to pick up a live mount or two. Full fields and jocks in demand, so I've read.

tanner12oz
08-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Um, his record said 40 000. That's what i posted about. I never said he was a bad guy or a good guy or any kind of guy.

Does it matter if Mother Teresa is 40 000 or OJ Simpson is 40 000? The topic is about a jock who's had 40 rides and 0 in the money finishes. Not about "interesting" or "Tough" Times.

We all have interesting times in our lives and most of us have tough times too, but i'm not sure what that has to do with a 40 000 record.

If a jock doesn't want to get posted about and discussed, maybe he or she should try finishing at least 3rd once.

I find it fascinating that someone can have 40 rides in a row at a minor league track and not ONE 3rd place finish. Im sorry if you feel offended, if you wanted to start a topic about Lanci and his interesting life, why didn't you?

but if he is winning at other tracks is it really a record of futility?

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 09:13 PM
but if he is winning at other tracks is it really a record of futility?

Depends on how you want to look at it.

Stillriledup
09-05-2014, 09:20 PM
FANCY DID IT!!!

8th race tonight riding Big Bad Bubba!

Finished 3rd!!