View Full Version : Speed and Class Harness Track Rankings

pandy
08-28-2014, 06:26 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/pandolfo-ranking-bias-and-class-ratings

arno
08-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Pandy

Thanks for the ratings.
I'd only disagree with one track's ratings.
Philadelphia in both speed and class.

I don't think it's as speed favoring as Yonkers even though the Yonkers of today is not the Yonkers of yesteryear.

In class to me Mohawk/Woodbine is classier than Philadelphia.
Otherwise you are spot on with all the other tracks.

pandy
08-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Thank you.

LottaKash
08-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Thank you.

You can thank me too Pandy, because "thank you" for publishing that stuff....Always good to refresh the page from time to time, in this game....:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

LottaKash
08-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Pandy

Thanks for the ratings.
I'd only disagree with one track's ratings.
Philadelphia in both speed and class.

I don't think it's as speed favoring as Yonkers even though the Yonkers of today is not the Yonkers of yesteryear.

In class to me Mohawk/Woodbine is classier than Philadelphia.
Otherwise you are spot on with all the other tracks.

Arno, I am trying to pick a fight here...heehee..

I disagree with your disagreement about Chester....I think that Pandy had it right....Front end horses dominate that place....And, in my handicapping I try to use that to advantage...Sure enough, as any track. there will be days or even a block of time, where the engine wouldn't be the most desirable place to be, but overall, at Chester "speed kills"...

The other thing about Wdb/Mhk....If this were last year or earlier I would agree very much about the WEG circuit...But, as I see it these days, the talent pool for good overnite horses has certainly dwindled big time as of lately.... In fact they have lowered the NW$-minimum down to NW $2,5k Last 5, which is pretty low when you compare it to other tracks that have been perceived as "less classy".... I use to play the WEG almost always as my first choice track each nite....Not so any longer....This year Mohawk in particular ( as well as many other tracks this time of year) has had way too many races carded for NW 2/3 LT and 2yo races.....Way too many for me...I may get a play or two each nite there, but honestly not much more.....

Bottom line, The WEG can't hold a candle to Chester, classwise, any longer...I would lower the class number by '2"

Sad for me is that The Big-M was always in the competition for me with the WEG, and now they are both much lower on my choice of handicapping tracks....Especially M1 where the "Race Secretary now" does the Handicapping for you...

My faves are The Meadows, Pocono Downs, and Chester, and now Scioto Downs on the weekends....They are all tracks that have the right balance of speed and pace....You can win on the engine, but if not there, and your play is getting around the last corner with good lick you get there "first" as well running from thataway....

"Must have Balance, Daniel-San"....

pandy
08-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Thank you.

pandy
08-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Harrah's Philly has changed the past few years, much more speed favoring than it was the first couple of years there. Considering the quality of horses and drivers, it's surprisingly boring racing.

LottaKash
08-28-2014, 10:31 PM
Harrah's Philly has changed the past few years, much more speed favoring than it was the first couple of years there. Considering the quality of horses and drivers, it's surprisingly boring racing.

Sadly yes...

Still, on some days when the Whales and/or Sharks seem to be missing, you can find a goody or two sometimes....I am surprised sometimes about that Bob..

RaceTrackDaddy
08-28-2014, 10:40 PM
The only thing I would add is to give The Red Mile two different ratings. One would be for the most of the year where the cushion is high enough to hurt front end speed.

Once the conditioners of the Little Brown Jug moved their operation to the Red Mile, that track will lose about 4 inches of cushion or more in the first pass of the Grader.

Learned my lesson the hard way. Think that that same crew did the remake of the Meadows a year or two ago when they redid the whole track.

arno
08-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Lotta

If someone else posted I might think they are trying to pick a fight.

When you post I listen.

Maybe I should stop making WEG circuit my first choice.
It has been hurting my wallet last 2 years.

mrroyboy
08-29-2014, 01:14 PM
It seems to me that ALL mile/3/4 tracks have gone down in class lately both US and Canada. Anyone notice this?
Anyway Pandy how about a follow-up article with revised track speed figures? Seem the next step after class????

pandy
08-30-2014, 03:44 PM
I need to update them first, but it's a good idea.