PDA

View Full Version : Castellano is impossibly good right now

Stillriledup
08-27-2014, 05:29 PM
Riding a horse called Bold Runner in the last race, shows nothing on paper, he gets this horse to the lead, takes big pressure, the speeds appear to collapse as the chalks sweep up, and here's Castellano just imploring this REALLY bad horse to the line and almost pulling off the win.

He was willing this horse, CARRYING this horse to the line.....and it was the last race of the day, he could have mailed in this ride, but stuck around to ride for a 2 for 49 trainer on a horse who shows zip.

That says a lot about what kind of rider and what kind of man he wants to be.

*as a side note, this trainer Anthony Quartarolo, who used to be a harness trainer and driver, seems to have the ability to secure Castellano's service on some really bad horses....this horse Castellano rode isn't the only AQ horse who shows nothing that he's been riding.

TheEdge07
08-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Riding a horse called Bold Runner in the last race, shows nothing on paper, he gets this horse to the lead, takes big pressure, the speeds appear to collapse as the chalks sweep up, and here's Castellano just imploring this REALLY bad horse to the line and almost pulling off the win.

He was willing this horse, CARRYING this horse to the line.....and it was the last race of the day, he could have mailed in this ride, but stuck around to ride for a 2 for 49 trainer on a horse who shows zip.

*as a side note, this trainer Anthony Quartarolo, who used to be a harness trainer and driver, seems to have the ability to secure Castellano's service on some really bad horses....this horse Castellano rode isn't the only AQ horse who shows nothing that he's been riding.

Imo Castellano has been the best rider in ny for a while and yes it includes when Ramon was riding..

aaron
08-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Imo Castellano has been the best rider in ny for a while and yes it includes when Ramon was riding..
And on what do you base that opinion on ?

TheEdge07
08-27-2014, 07:22 PM
And on what do you base that opinion on ?

watching races..just like your opinion...right?

Stillriledup
08-27-2014, 07:40 PM

That's a huge compliment to put JJC in the class of Ramon. I'm sure he would appreciate hearing that (and then probably tell you there's only one Ramon :D )

EMD4ME
08-27-2014, 08:02 PM
JC could never be Ramon. Never.

Ramon undressed Javier so many times, especially with the mental side of their tasks, it was embarrassing.

TheEdge07
08-27-2014, 08:05 PM
JC could never be Ramon. Never.

Ramon undressed Javier so many times, especially with the mental side of their tasks, it was embarrassing.

Ramon is a greatnrider..

I want Castellano on my horse in big races..

Tall One
08-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Castellano in the get out = in the money somewhere.

Stillriledup
08-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Castellano in the get out = in the money somewhere.

Its a rare thing to find a jock who rides as many great horses, wins as much purse money and is SO in demand to ride the hair off a cheap horse in the final race for a low pct barn.

Doesn't get better than that.

thaskalos
08-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Was Ramon getting these rave reviews when he was a regular at Delaware Park?

TheEdge07
08-27-2014, 08:29 PM

Oh oh, now you did it...

Thebigguy
08-27-2014, 09:57 PM

Im just getting my bets on paper right now. Same trainer/jockey combo in the 4th tomorrow. Im against.... But being against Javier does scare me.

Thebigguy
08-27-2014, 09:59 PM
That's a huge compliment to put JJC in the class of Ramon. I'm sure he would appreciate hearing that (and then probably tell you there's only one Ramon :D )

Its false though.

castaway01
08-27-2014, 09:59 PM

If you ever watched him ride at Delaware Park, he was 20 times better than any other rider there and it was obvious he was destined for great things at any track where he got decent horses to ride.

So, the answer is yes.

cj
08-27-2014, 10:04 PM

Of course, he was winning everything there. He was miles better than anyone else there and often made races unbettable. It was similar to Edgar Prado in Maryland, he won with MANY inferior horses than those his fellow riders were on.

EMD4ME
08-27-2014, 10:25 PM
The fact that were discussing this is a joke. To even put Javier in the same sentence as Ramon is INSULTING to Ramon.

overthehill
08-28-2014, 03:14 AM
castellano right now is a good as anyone i have ever seen ride with the exception of shoemaker, and possibly cordero and cauthen. i was just thinking today t he more than any jockey around gets his horse in whatever position the horse need to be in to win the race. he seems to be the only rider who can consistently get his turf horses to save ground from an outside post. Its not by accident that pletcher brown and maker all want him to ride their horses.

aaron
08-28-2014, 08:37 AM
I think Castellano is the best rider in racing today. Comparing him to Cordero,Bailey or Dominguez is just silly.

TheEdge07
08-28-2014, 08:52 AM
I think Castellano is the best rider in racing today. Comparing him to Cordero,Bailey or Dominguez is just silly.

Placing Dominguez with Codero and Bailey is plain silly..

biggestal99
08-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Q: How many horses win because of the jock?

A: very few.

If you pay more attention to the horse and less to the jock you will be better $$$$ off.

Allan

aaron
08-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Placing Dominguez with Codero and Bailey is plain silly..
That makes more sense than placing Castellano with Dominguez. Cordero and Bailey were the two best riders I have ever seen in NY. In my opinion Dominguez was on his way to being in their class,but his injury ended that quest.

TheEdge07
08-28-2014, 09:25 AM
That makes more sense than placing Castellano with Dominguez. Cordero and Bailey were the two best riders I have ever seen in NY. In my opinion Dominguez was on his way to being in their class,but his injury ended that quest.

Disagree..

Codero along with Bailey were riding against hall of famers day in and out..
Ramon was riding against a very weak ny jockey circuit..Thats a fact.

Money on the line Castellano 7 days a week.And like one insider was quoted yesterday on twitter when ask the question and whos opinion is value by many it isnt close.

aaron
08-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Disagree..

Codero along with Bailey were riding against hall of famers day in and out..
Ramon was riding against a very weak ny jockey circuit..Thats a fact.

Money on the line Castellano 7 days a week.And like one insider was quoted yesterday on twitter when ask the question and whos opinion is value by many it isnt close.
Ramon was riding against a jockey colony,that included Castellano and nobody was close to Ramon. The jockey colony currently competing isn't a great colony.I agree Castellano is #1,but the rest are mostly poor journeyman and a few young riders who will get better.

TheEdge07
08-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Ramon was riding against a jockey colony,that included Castellano and nobody was close to Ramon. The jockey colony currently competing isn't a great colony.I agree Castellano is #1,but the rest are mostly poor journeyman and a few young riders who will get better.

Are you saying Ramon is also better rider then John Velasquez?

aaron
08-28-2014, 11:24 AM
I don't even think it is close between Ramon and John Velasquez. Velasquez,once was a terrific jockey. In my opinion,he hasn't been a great rider for years.

mannyberrios
08-28-2014, 11:51 AM
I don't even think it is close between Ramon and John Velasquez. Velasquez,once was a terrific jockey. In my opinion,he hasn't been a great rider for years.
WHAT! John Velasquez is and will always be a great jockey

aaron
08-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Watch his rides on a consistent basis. If he still was a great rider,he would be challenging for the rider lead at Saratoga. I'm not saying he doesn't give great rides on occasion,but the consistent day in day out great ride,does not happen.

EMD4ME
08-28-2014, 02:21 PM

Proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Castellano just put one cat's chance on the lead in the 4th at the Spa. Not a bad move, as he took no prisoners. Sadly, no one told this overrated 'name' that once you take no prisoners, that means you KEEP THE LEAD AT ALL COSTS, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'VE LEAD FOR A MODERATE HALF.

He fell asleep late backstretch and currently they are putting some clothes back on him as he was stripped naked by the legendary Chris Decarlo...

The fact anyone hear could possibly even consider this overrated jockey to be anything above average, shows how poor your talent recognition is.

Keep admiring Javier... it's embarrassing.

EMD4ME
08-28-2014, 02:22 PM

Mr. Four wide? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another, I will never be as good as Ramon, overrated 'name'.

EMD4ME
08-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Are you saying Ramon is also better rider then John Velasquez?

I will say an EMPHATIC yes to that. No discussion needed.

EMD4ME
08-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Q: How many horses win because of the jock?

A: very few.

If you pay more attention to the horse and less to the jock you will be better $$$$ off.

Allan

Agreed but Ramon was the first jockey in my lifetime that I ever saw to actually elevate a horse BIG TIME.

Stillriledup
08-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Castellano just put one cat's chance on the lead in the 4th at the Spa. Not a bad move, as he took no prisoners. Sadly, no one told this overrated 'name' that once you take no prisoners, that means you KEEP THE LEAD AT ALL COSTS, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'VE LEAD FOR A MODERATE HALF.

He fell asleep late backstretch and currently they are putting some clothes back on him as he was stripped naked by the legendary Chris Decarlo...

The fact anyone hear could possibly even consider this overrated jockey to be anything above average, shows how poor your talent recognition is.

Keep admiring Javier... it's embarrassing.

I have to disagree, i liked the ride, that's a LONG race, you can't battle for the final 5 furlongs and expect to hold on...if he came back up the rail to win, he would have been hailed as a genius. I didnt think he was going to be on the lead, i liked him to sit off the 1 and 3 who i figured would battle it out, but his horse was very sharp today and broke running so he didnt want to get in the way and he just let him roll.

The horse was just not good enough, if he would have battled trying to hold the lead, he's nowhere.

TheEdge07
08-28-2014, 02:54 PM
I will say an EMPHATIC yes to that. No discussion needed.

I understand your a Ramon fan.

John Velasquez in his prime was better then Ramon...But your a fan which is stands for fanatic..totally understand...

In the 80's at Santa Anita every race..

Stevens
Valenzuela
Mccarron
Eddie D
Pincay
Shoemaker
Toro
Alex Solis in his prime

And you want to place Ramon with the all time greats-- 5 horse field in mid December on the inner track riding against Cornelio Velasquez..

Ramon wasnt as good as Chris Antley.

Stillriledup
08-28-2014, 02:56 PM

John Velasquez in his prime was better then Ramon...But your a fan which is stands for fanatic..totally understand...

Top jocks who are riding for Pletcher are always going to look better than they really are.

Its like Tom Brady. As good as he is, Belichick makes him look much better.

Mineshaft
08-28-2014, 03:32 PM
The fact that were discussing this is a joke. To even put Javier in the same sentence as Ramon is INSULTING to Ramon.

Wow are u serious? The only reason Ramon won so much in NY he was riding a 2/5 shot every race.

Give Ramon a 15/1 shot and Castellano a 15/1 shot and i will take Castellano every freakin day of the week.

Mineshaft
08-28-2014, 03:34 PM

In the 80's at Santa Anita every race..

Stevens
Valenzuela
Mccarron
Eddie D
Pincay
Shoemaker
Toro
Alex Solis in his prime

And you want to place Ramon with the all time greats-- 5 horse field in mid December on the inner track riding against Cornelio Velasquez..

Ramon wasnt as good as Chris Antley.

Bingo we have a winner...........................

Mineshaft
08-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Castellano 265 win at Toga. Nuff said

Ramon could even be the valet for Castellano

Stillriledup
08-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Castellano 265 win at Toga. Nuff said

Ramon could even be the valet for Castellano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHjiPtbivA
Who could ever forget this? :D

EMD4ME
08-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Not being fanatical or biased. Ramon is hands down the better rider (he is the definition of intelligent, Javier is not. Ramon had the best hands by a mile, Javier's hands or no match for Ramon's. Ramon obviously studied the pp's prior to every race, Javier obviously does not. ) not saying Javier is terrible. He's above average. But he has never been better than Ramon at any point in his career.

It's not hard to compare the two, they both ran on the same circuit for years. Who undressed who time and time again? The answer is right there.

Yes Ramon's career was cut short but in the time god blessed us with his ONE OF A KIND TALENTS, jeez, he ran circles around Javier.

EMD4ME
08-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Top jocks who are riding for Pletcher are always going to look better than they really are.

Its like Tom Brady. As good as he is, Belichick makes him look much better.

JV in his prime added very little value to a horse. It was simple... all out drive preacher's 2yo's wire to wire & 3 wide press with the best horse in the race.

I'd venture to say half his wins came that way. Not exaggerating.

EMD4ME
08-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Ramon didn't just ride 2/5 shots, Ramon MADE horses 2/5. The only jockey in the last 20 years to clearly and unquestionably move a horse up with his prepared intelligent mind and best in the world soft hands.

aaron
08-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Ramon didn't just ride 2/5 shots, Ramon MADE horses 2/5. The only jockey in the last 20 years to clearly and unquestionably move a horse up with his prepared intelligent mind and best in the world soft hands.
Also,Ramon won on more over bet horses than anybody. It was not his fault,the public made some of his 2-1 shots 2/5 but he still won on them.

TheEdge07
08-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Also,Ramon won on more over bet horses than anybody. It was not his fault,the public made some of his 2-1 shots 2/5 but he still won on them.

And of course the 2/5 shots had nothing to do with the chemist trainer...

mannyberrios
08-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Watch his rides on a consistent basis. If he still was a great rider,he would be challenging for the rider lead at Saratoga. I'm not saying he doesn't give great rides on occasion,but the consistent day in day out great ride,does not happen.
Velasquez doesn't mount as much as in years past, to me may be is close to retirement. I understand what you are saying, but still he a great jockey

thaskalos
08-28-2014, 07:56 PM
IMO...there isn't a nostril's-worth of difference between the top 5 jocks in the country.

mannyberrios
08-28-2014, 07:58 PM
IMO...there isn't a nostril's-worth of difference between the top 5 jocks in the country.
Thank you for that post

Stillriledup
08-28-2014, 09:15 PM

What if i said that there might be a difference with certain rider styles that fit specific horses. What if a horse needs to be ridden a specific way to show his best and one jock is better at that type of ride than another?

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 12:34 AM

Very true, they are all slightly above average at best. If Ramon was still around, there would be a mile and a half between him and all others.

Great point thaskalos ;)

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 12:38 AM
Thank you for that post

They're isn't one well above the rest, why? Because none of them have the brains, talent, preparation, hands and intuition of Ramon Dominguez to be able to soar above their peers. Of course they take turns kinda sorta sometimes a little bit more than their plain Jane peer, go back and forth, because they are all average Joe shmos who don't posses any exceptional talent.

To those that actually and truly know NY racing inside out, Ramon has no peer. Period. Never did.

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 12:39 AM
Very true, they are all slightly above average at best. If Ramon was still around, there would be a mile and a half between him and all others.

Great point thaskalos ;)

Funny...I remember very well when Ramon was a dominant force at Delaware Park. He might have won a ton of races...but no one ever mistook him for one of the very best jockeys in the country. As I recall...they called him a "big fish in a small pond". :)

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 12:44 AM
And of course the 2/5 shots had nothing to do with the chemist trainer...

Let me answer you this way... we all know who Ramon's former agent is managing. Tell me..... is that jockey absof*****lutely dominating and undressing his peebrain competitors like Ramon did?

An EMPHATIC, NO. Must we really try and compare a true genius and superstar to these average mental midgets?

You guys are giving credit to broken clocks who are right twice a day. I am soooooo not exaggerating, Ramon's win's were all proactive, ingenious and because of him. Most of these average shmos win a race despite their average talent.

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 12:49 AM
Of course, he was winning everything there. He was miles better than anyone else there and often made races unbettable. It was similar to Edgar Prado in Maryland, he won with MANY inferior horses than those his fellow riders were on.

When Ramon was in Delaware Park...did YOU consider him one of the country's best jockeys?

cj
08-29-2014, 12:51 AM
When Ramon was in Delaware Park...did YOU consider him one of the country's best jockeys?

Yes, and when he moved to New York out was a profitable opinion for a few months.

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 12:59 AM
Yes, and when he moved to New York out was a profitable opinion for a few months.

Well...you were in the minority. I remember those days well...and Ramon's name seldom(never?) came up when "great jockeys" were being discussed. That's why I asked earlier if he was being nationally showered with rave reviews when he was at Delaware. From what I remember...he was viewed as another Russell Baze.

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:01 AM
Funny...I remember very well when Ramon was a dominant force at Delaware Park. He might have won a ton of races...but no one ever mistook him for one of the very best jockeys in the country. As I recall...they called him a "big fish in a small pond". :)

No offense to the masses but it takes a genius to recognize a genius....

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 01:03 AM
No offense to the masses but it takes a genius to recognize a genius....

I would agree with you...but I am reminded that you also considered Tom Durkin to be another "genius". :)

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 01:06 AM
If you ever watched him ride at Delaware Park, he was 20 times better than any other rider there and it was obvious he was destined for great things at any track where he got decent horses to ride.

So, the answer is yes.

To be honest...Dominguez got more than his fair share of "decent horses" in Delaware...

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:07 AM
And to be clear, YES I did and I made a killing when he first moved to NYRA.

He is the first jockey who I have ever paid attention to in all my years of playing horses. I bet horses, biases, trainers and trip notes. Jockeys are all similar to me (except for very few cases).

AFTER him, they are all stupid, brain dead, can't spell their last names, wide loving on gold rails, rail hugging when the rail is dead, never tuck when it's appropriate, have no clue who the speeds are, have no idea how the track is playing, don't know what day it is average joes. (being nice and holding back).

That man was a certified genius on a horse. Couldn't out pump another jockey, couldn't out whip them but was hands down better than everyone else on the track with him. What does that tell you????

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 01:09 AM
And to be clear, YES I did and I made a killing when he first moved to NYRA.

He is the first jockey who I have ever paid attention to in all my years of playing horses. I bet horses, biases, trainers and trip notes. Jockeys are all similar to me (except for very few cases).

AFTER him, they are all stupid, brain dead, can't spell their last names, wide loving on gold rails, rail hugging when the rail is dead, never tuck when it's appropriate, have no clue who the speeds are, have no idea how the track is playing, don't what day it is average joes. (being nice and holding back).

That man was a certified genius on a horse. Couldn't out pump another jockey, couldn't out whip them but was hands down better than everyone else on the track with him. What does that tell you????

Bailey was "brain dead" on a horse?

Come on now...get serious.

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:09 AM
I would agree with you...but I am reminded that you also considered Tom Durkin to be another "genius". :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:bang: :bang: :bang:

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:10 AM
Bailey was "brain dead" on a horse?

Come on now...get serious.

Absolutely not, I loved JD. I'm talking who Ramon rode against in his lifetime. JD was gone when Ramon came to NY.

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Absolutely not, I loved JD. I'm talking who Ramon rode against in his lifetime. JD was gone when Ramon came to NY.

Come to think of it. I sincerely thought Jerry was the one and only genius on a horse (prepared, thought every what if scenario through before the gates opened, memorized all silks of all horses in a race, pretended to not speak Spanish when he did LOL etc)

Then I watched Ramon from up close and he made Bailey look like JD was a short length behind him (compliment to RD and JD).

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 01:16 AM

You said that, in all the years that you've participated in this game...you never paid attention to jockeys until Dominguez came around (post #58). And here I thought that you were a seasoned player. In the rich history of this game...Ramon Dominguez was the only jockey who was worthy of being "noticed" by you?

And I thought for a moment that you were a serious guy...

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:18 AM
You said that, in all the years that you've participated in this game...you never paid attention to jockeys until Dominguez came around (post #58). And here I thought that you were a seasoned player. In the rich history of this game...Ramon Dominguez was the only jockey that was worthy of being "noticed" by you?

And I thought for a moment that you were a serious guy...

Yes, besides Cordero and bailey, they are all comparable.

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:22 AM
Especially in the last 20 years, they are getting more average, more average and more average. I say average being polite. If I was betting cali 20 years ago, that's a little different as that was a deep colony. You didn't really make a mistake if you bet a horse with Mc, Delhyse, PVal or Pincay on him/her.

But since bailey retired, give me one jock who consistently day in, day out, was hands down better then Ramon????

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Yes, besides Cordero and bailey, they are all comparable.

Let's see now:

According to EMD4ME...Durkin is the best race announcer ever...and Dominguez, Cordero and Bailey are the game's only note-worthy jockeys.

It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to figure out that EMD4ME is a New Yorker... :)

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:31 AM
Durkin is bettor than TD.

I complimented cali's old time jocks.... see prior post.

And yes, I am a new Yorker who's smart enough to know that after ramon, this entire colony could ride at prairie meadows and have the same impact. They are replaceable average joes.

If I was a true new Yorker, id say, Javier is better than mikey, JV is better than bejarano etc. I'm not saying that. I'm actually attacking the entire NY colony as forget them the day they retire average Joes.

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 01:37 AM
Durkin is bettor than TD.

I complimented cali's old time jocks.... see prior post.

And yes, I am a new Yorker who's smart enough to know that after ramon, this entire colony could ride at prairie meadows and have the same impact. They are replaceable average joes.

If I was a true new Yorker, id say, Javier is better than mikey, JV is better than bejarano etc. I'm not saying that. I'm actually attacking the entire NY colony as forget them the day they retire average Joes.

When I hear Cordero mentioned, but Shoemaker is forgotten...then I got my doubts...

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:41 AM
God willing, I'm alive another 25 years, I guarantee you, I will never forget how amazingly consistent and awesome Ramón Dominguez was. Will I be able to name the other jocks from his era? Hopefully not as they are your quintessential overrated pea brains and I want to forget most of them.

I take notes on every single NYRA race. Do you know what I call a super perfect ride in my notes? "ramon ride"....

Do you know how often I see a Ramón ride? Rarely but almost often enough. Do you know how many times it's just a pure coincidence and not because of the jock's proactive behavior? Almost all the time!!!

How do I know that? Because as you watch replays over and over you realize that it's more bout being forced to be in a perfect position (off a 4h duel on a closer's track, laying outside because he has to not because he wants to) VS. Me seeing the jock purposely being in that position.

When Ramon rode, you could see from his hold right after a break that he was purposely rating and taking a certain spot. You would purposely see him following a certain horse or avoiding certain 'Cover'. When ramon was riding, you'd see him busting the gate and quarter horsing a stalker to the lead on a speed track in RACE 2!!!!! Before anyone knew the track was biased.

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:43 AM
When I hear Cordero mentioned, but Shoemaker is forgotten...then I got my doubts...

I bulked him in with the Cali jocks. Forgive me. Again I'm talking about the last 10-15 years. Not forever (when comparing ramon to others). I've always bet NYRA, so most Cali jocks were talented in my eyes but 1 didn't stand out over their other peers. colony was deep, I give that credit.

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 01:49 AM
God willing, I'm alive another 25 years, I guarantee you, I will never forget how amazingly consistent and awesome Ramón Dominguez was. Will I be able to name the other jocks from his era? Hopefully not as they are your quintessential overrated pea brains and I want to forget most of them.

I take notes on every single NYRA race. Do you know what I call a super perfect ride in my notes? "ramon ride"....

Do you know how often I see a Ramón ride? Rarely but almost often enough. Do you know how many times it's just a pure coincidence and not because of the jock's proactive behavior? Almost all the time!!!

How do I know that? Because as you watch replays over and over you realize that it's more bout being forced to be in a perfect position (off a 4h duel on a closer's track, laying outside because he has to not because he wants to) VS. Me seeing the jock purposely being in that position.

When Ramon rode, you could see from his hold right after a break that he was purposely rating and taking a certain spot. You would purposely see him following a certain horse or avoiding certain 'Cover'. When ramon was riding, you'd see him busting the gate and quarter horsing a stalker to the lead on a speed track in RACE 2!!!!! Before anyone knew the track was biased.
I bet NY too...and I also watch replays. I thought Dominguez was great...but to say that he was the only noticeable jockey in recent years is a hyperbole. I owned an Illinois-bred up until 2010...and if I had my pick of a jockey at that time...I would have chosen Garrett Gomez. Of course...my horse was a closer... :)

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:49 AM
I'll put it this way. I've had $51,000 riding on a single ride. Ramon's horse blew the start, he could not tuck from post 9 going two turns on the turf due to circumstance but he never panicked and used his ramon hands to relax the horse. He tucked at the 3/4, stayed covered up and buried till the 1/4, eased out and brought the gravy home.

I didn't even like the horse he was on but HE made the horse win.

No other jock in NY on the last decade has done that consistently or even remotely close to as many times as ramon.

They are all broken clocks who sometimes might be right 5x a day vs. 2 a day. Ramón was right 23 times day out of 24.

There is zeroooooooooooo comparison.

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:52 AM
I bet NY too...and I also watch replays. I thought Dominguez was great...but to say that he was the only noticeable jockey in recent years is a hyperbole. I owned an Illinois-bred up until 2010...and if I had my pick of a jockey at that time...I would choose Garrett Gomez. Of course...my horse was a closer... :)

I liked go go. He was very good on closers. I would take ramon on any and every closer over anyone. Don't hate me for it. He was simply the best rating and finishing. Ramon reminds me of the most interesting man in the world, he was sooooo good, he didn't need the whip. Not kidding. All ramon did, was release the reigns. Whip was just a steering mechanism to move in or out in stretch traffic.

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 01:54 AM
I liked go go. He was very good on closers. I would take ramon on any and every closer over anyone. Don't hate me for it. He was simply the best rating and finishing. Ramon reminds me of the most interesting man in the world, he was sooooo good, he didn't need the whip. Not kidding. All ramon did, was release the reigns. Whip was just a steering mechanism to move in or out in stretch traffic.

Hate you?

I may disagree with fellow Greeks...but I can never hate them. Especially if they bet big...

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:56 AM
And he didn't need Todd's 2yo's or chad's horses to rack up wins. Answer this... who did ramon ride first call for? no one one..... he didn't have 30% wins lined up automatically thru shear quantity of rides.

His wins were proactive intelligent efforts compared to other's wins despite themselves.

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:58 AM
Hate you?

I may disagree with fellow Greeks...but I can never hate them. Especially if they bet big...

I meant that figuratively teacher ;) not literally.

Besides, ramon is not here to defend his talents, in a weird way, I feel passionately about him, someone should stand up for him as he never received the accolades that he deserved.

His peers got way more recognition than he did and that quite frankly sucks.

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 02:03 AM
You'll like this one.... as you're a zenyatta fan...

Who else other than Ramón wouldve gotten Gio Ponti almost home free in the 2009 breeders cup classic????

JV????? Hilarious........JV would've been 4w throughout in fear of a breakdown and his career ending. Would've flattened out to 7th.

Javier? He would've followed the wrong horse around the far turn... finished 5th in traffic.

Only Ramon.

How about little mike and his win? Only with Ramon.

I've never seen a better jock, receive such few quality horses to ride in BIG races.... never.

It just goes to show you, not even some top quality horsepeople knew how good he was.

It takes a genius to know a genius, I'm telling you...............

Not saying I am one, not saying you're not one or others here aren't one, just saying not everyone is a genius. If everyone was, there would be no average people.

His talents were not fully appreciated by everyone.

Finally, as I'll stop here, I'm insulted anyone and I mean anyone would compare Javier to ramon. A huge slap to Ramón's face....

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 02:35 AM
What if i said that there might be a difference with certain rider styles that fit specific horses. What if a horse needs to be ridden a specific way to show his best and one jock is better at that type of ride than another?
I might agree with you...if you can prove to me that one jockey is CONSISTENTLY better at giving a particular type of ride to a particular type of horse. From what I see...the top jockeys are taking turns beating one another, with a wide variety of rides.

TheEdge07
08-29-2014, 09:33 AM

Who else other than Ramón wouldve gotten Gio Ponti almost home free in the 2009 breeders cup classic????

JV????? Hilarious........JV would've been 4w throughout in fear of a breakdown and his career ending. Would've flattened out to 7th.

Javier? He would've followed the wrong horse around the far turn... finished 5th in traffic.

Only Ramon.

I've never seen a better jock, receive such few quality horses to ride in BIG races.... never.

It just goes to show you, not even some top quality horsepeople knew how good he was.

Not saying I am one, not saying you're not one or others here aren't one, just saying not everyone is a genius. If everyone was, there would be no average people.

Finally, as I'll stop here, I'm insulted anyone and I mean anyone would compare Javier to ramon. A huge slap to Ramón's face....

How about the other rides he gave Gio Ponti?I counted at least 2 where he absolutely cost GP wins..Do they count?

6 wide move in the Arlington million.
And with my own eyes Rosemary beat Ramon in a stretch duel in Tampa.
fanatics forget

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 01:11 PM
I might agree with you...if you can prove to me that one jockey is CONSISTENTLY better at giving a particular type of ride to a particular type of horse. From what I see...the top jockeys are taking turns beating one another, with a wide variety of rides.

None of this can be proved, horse betting is a game of "Feel" and observation. Sorry Gus. :(

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:21 PM
How about the other rides he gave Gio Ponti?I counted at least 2 where he absolutely cost GP wins..Do they count?

6 wide move in the Arlington million.
And with my own eyes Rosemary beat Ramon in a stretch duel in Tampa.
fanatics forget

Are you talking about the race where the leader was up 5 into the far turn with 8, Count them :1: :2: :3: :4: :5: :6: :7: :8: horses were lined up in a wall, creating a massive second flight on the far turn? Are you talking about the race where Ramón had gio ponti on the rail TILL the 3/8 (unlike his counterparts who are hustling 4-5-6 wide INTO the far turn..) AND then made what looked to be the intelligent inside out (he had to go 6 wide as again there were 8 horses stacked on the far turn in that race) sweep?

Are we talking about that race?

So, watch the replay again, what did you want him to do after tucking to the rail and keeping his over hyped 'champion that he helped make a champion' tucked and relaxed till the 3/8? Did you want him to follow the dead inside flow (the 5 horse?). Did you want him to follow the 2 and lose 8 lengths?

He rode that race to the best of the circumstance. The 2 was a better horse.

I love logic. Some call me Spock. Please humor me and tell me what you would've done differently in that race.... logically of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yA-MF8nGCY

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 01:29 PM
I think we can all agree Gio Ponti was an over rated horse (meaning he wasn't a wide dan or a true champion). Ramón's rides made Gio Ponti who he was. Any other jock and that horse doesn't have the resume he ended up having. Again, he's the only jockey in the last decade plus to move a horse up CONSISTENTLY.

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find a bad ride by Ramón. Happened to all of them. I can pick out 7000 at bats where Jeter made an out.....

Point here is we're talking about which jock was consistently above and beyond their peers. Not by accident, not because they rode the best horse but because of their ability to watch replays effectively , have a Frieken brain, forecast many what if scenarios (what if horse 1&2 don't break well, what if horses 3&4 go early etc.), utilize their world class hands and uncanny timing to be above and beyond the rest of the pack.

Mineshaft
08-29-2014, 03:08 PM

Only Ramon.

Good Rider? yes

Great Rider? No

TheEdge07
08-29-2014, 03:14 PM
I'll put it this way. I've had $51,000 riding on a single ride. Ramon's horse blew the start, he could not tuck from post 9 going two turns on the turf due to circumstance but he never panicked and used his ramon hands to relax the horse. He tucked at the 3/4, stayed covered up and buried till the 1/4, eased out and brought the gravy home.

I didn't even like the horse he was on but HE made the horse win.

No other jock in NY on the last decade has done that consistently or even remotely close to as many times as ramon.

They are all broken clocks who sometimes might be right 5x a day vs. 2 a day. Ramón was right 23 times day out of 24.

There is zeroooooooooooo comparison.

Now we finally have our answer...Ramon bagged him 51,000...

Mineshaft
08-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Now we finally have our answer...Ramon bagged him 51,000...

Yep he hit 51K and fell in love with Ramon

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 03:52 PM

If he hit a pick 4 or pick 5 with Ramon as the final leg, maybe he should be as in love with the other jocks who won earlier in the sequence?

TheEdge07
08-29-2014, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=Stillriledup]If he hit a pick 4 or pick 5 with Ramon as the final leg, maybe he should be as in love with the other jocks who won earlier in the sequence?[/QUOTE

Its hard to fall in love with the ny jock colony back when Ramon was riding..

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=Stillriledup]If he hit a pick 4 or pick 5 with Ramon as the final leg, maybe he should be as in love with the other jocks who won earlier in the sequence?[/QUOTE

Its hard to fall in love with the ny jock colony back when Ramon was riding..

You mean Junior Alvarado, Cornelio V and the "Irad Brothers" aren't loveable characters? :D

TheEdge07
08-29-2014, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=TheEdge07]

You mean Junior Alvarado, Cornelio V and the "Irad Brothers" aren't loveable characters? :D

Dont forget Alan Garcia..

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 04:58 PM

NOT. Fell in love with Ramón in 04. Hit for 51K on April 17, 2010. I actually beat a 2/5 Ramón horse with Eleni's hope at 20/1 (mike luzzi up I believe). Ramon's horse was 2/5 only because Ramón was up. His horse actually was a pos I hated.

So no boys, it's not because Ramón made me 51K. It's because he was so damn good. If anything, his horses got pounded so much, I'd bet against them due to lack of value most times.

Nice try...

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 05:29 PM

NOT. Fell in love with Ramón in 04. Hit for 51K on April 17, 2010. I actually beat a 2/5 Ramón horse with Eleni's hope at 20/1 (mike luzzi up I believe). Ramon's horse was 2/5 only because Ramón was up. His horse actually was a pos I hated.

So no boys, it's not because Ramón made me 51K. It's because he was so damn good. If anything, his horses got pounded so much, I'd bet against them due to lack of value most times.

Nice try...

Sounds like love to me :D

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 06:26 PM
I won't deny it. I love Ramon's riding talent. The man was one of a f'n kind. I am sure, I will never see his talents again.

What I miss the most is the supreme confidence in my belly as the gate is loaded, knowing he is on my horse (if I needed his horse of course).

Now all I get is agida, grief, vomit in my mouth as I watch one pin brain after the other go around a circle and hope they don't f*** it up.

I swear to god, I really have no clue who's riding what horse in each race, they are all interchangeable.

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 06:33 PM
I won't deny it. I love Ramon's riding talent. The man was one of a f'n kind. I am sure, I will never see his talents again.

What I miss the most is the supreme confidence in my belly as the gate is loaded, knowing he is on my horse (if I needed his horse of course).

Now all I get is agida, grief, vomit in my mouth as I watch one pin brain after the other go around a circle and hope they don't f*** it up.

I swear to god, I really have no clue who's riding what horse in each race, they are all interchangeable.
Have you ever thought of starting a Ramon Dominguez fan club...as a way of giving something back?

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 06:36 PM
I have not. Its a great idea. I wish I knew how, can you help???

Actually, in the VIP room at Belmont, there already exists a Ramón fan club. Guys who bet 10,000 to win no longer make those bets as often as before. For one simple reason, Ramón is retired. I'm not kidding. As much as they love a horse, there isn't a single rider in the continental U.S. that you would want on your horse over Ramón, hence the reduction in dollar amounts of bets in many cases.

There already is a fan club.

thaskalos
08-29-2014, 06:49 PM
I have not. Its a great idea. I wish I knew how, can you help???

Actually, in the VIP room at Belmont, there already exists a Ramón fan club. Guys who bet 10,000 to win no longer make those bets as often as before. For one simple reason, Ramón is retired. I'm not kidding. As much as they love a horse, there isn't a single rider in the continental U.S. that you would want on your horse over Ramón, hence the reduction in dollar amounts of bets in many cases.

There already is a fan club.
These guys who were betting $10,000 to win on Ramon...are they working "straight" jobs now? :)

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 06:58 PM
These guys who were betting $10,000 to win on Ramon...are they working "straight" jobs now? :)

Hilarious buddy....

One player in particular is profitable consistently all year, only bets to win and rarely to place. Bets 2,000 to 20,000 to win (20,000 only on huge handle days). He bets horses, not jocks. However, if Ramón was on his horse, no fear of the jock f***ing it all up. Hence, the higher wager if the pool allowed for it.

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Now that there is no super jock out there, he fears the jock f***ing it all up, hence the lower amount of 20,000 win wagers.

EMD4ME
09-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Another MASTERFUL MOVE BY THE 'LEGENDARY CASTELLANO' in today's first at the SPA. I bet the winner and I want to give this terribly overrated average Joe a sincere thank you for vacating the perfect pocket (behind a 3 horse duel) at the 9/16......because of his second to none intelligence, my horse found the pocket, sat chilly around the far turn as the top 3 were all in shooting their last ounces of energy, my horse angled out and won.

As I walked out of the room at Belmont, I heard loud profanities directed at the legendary Castellano. "he's the biggest overrated piece of garbage mental midget that I have ever seen on this circuit!! How could he vacate the pocket?????".

I just laughed....

Again, for anyone to compare this mental midget to Ramón, is insulting.

I don't remember Ramón making elementary school mistakes like this, ever.

EMD4ME
09-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Can we change this thread to Castellano is impossibly terrible right now???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stillriledup
09-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Can we change this thread to Castellano is impossibly terrible right now???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or change the first word of the Title to Bejarano.

thaskalos
09-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Or change the first word of the Title to Bejarano.

There you go! Improvisation! :ThmbUp:

DeltaLover
09-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Have you ever thought of starting a Ramon Dominguez fan club...as a way of giving something back?

Emerald is certainly the most enthusiastic Ramon's fan I have ever met. He can very well become the president of this kind of a club, which, I have to admit, I might be joining as well :)

EMD4ME
09-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Emerald is certainly the most enthusiastic Ramon's fan I have ever met. He can very well become the president of this kind of a club, which, I have to admit, I might be joining as well :)

Remember when they played the national anthem at aqueduct and I would sing the last line ....."and the hooooome of Raaaaaamooooooonnnn" :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you soon Delta, Aqueduct will be here before we know it.

thaskalos
09-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Remember when they played the national anthem at aqueduct and I would sing the last line ....."and the hooooome of Raaaaaamooooooonnnn" :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you soon Delta, Aqueduct will be here before we know it.

I might have to come out there so I could set you guys straight about some things...

Tom
09-01-2014, 09:43 PM
I think we can all agree Gio Ponti was an over rated horse

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

taxicab
09-01-2014, 11:14 PM
King Javier:

http://www.saratogian.com/sports/20140901/javier-castellano-finishes-atop-jockey-standings

http://www.drf.com/news/castellano-breaks-dominguezs-earnings-record

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82890/javier-castellano-earns-first-eclipse-award

http://youtu.be/nDpt69CuXIU

sammy the sage
09-01-2014, 11:23 PM
"Banana Thief"....my comments to the naysayer's :lol:

EMD4ME
09-01-2014, 11:41 PM
King Javier:

http://www.saratogian.com/sports/20140901/javier-castellano-finishes-atop-jockey-standings

http://www.drf.com/news/castellano-breaks-dominguezs-earnings-record

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82890/javier-castellano-earns-first-eclipse-award

http://youtu.be/nDpt69CuXIU

If Ramón rode first call for Chad or Todd, he would've been a 50% jockey.... 50% PERCENT.

If Ramón rode for Chad or Todd or any top stable, he would've shattered the earnings record.

Keep touting Javier, I'll just keep taking the money.

He is completely overrated.

A mental midget.

EMD4ME
09-01-2014, 11:43 PM
I might have to come out there so I could set you guys straight about some things...

Just don't come Dec 16-25. I heard Aqueduct will be closed for ten days :(

EMD4ME
09-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Just saying he's no Wise Dan, that's all. And that without Ramon's talents his career is half what it was, that's all.

taxicab
09-01-2014, 11:58 PM
If Ramón rode first call for Chad or Todd, he would've been a 50% jockey.... 50% PERCENT.

If Ramón rode for Chad or Todd or any top stable, he would've shattered the earnings record.

A mental midget.
Ramblings of a madman.
You haven't got a clue....

EMD4ME
09-02-2014, 12:04 AM
Ramblings of a madman.
You haven't got a clue....

I dare you to sit down and watch 300 replays with me. This is not a madman talking. I've handled 500k a year for years and have been profitable without rebates in many.

Javier is an overrated jock. His success proves nothing. He's an average jock who doesn't take full advantage of the talent of his mounts and he is taking advantage of an extreeeeeeeemely average riding colony. The last 10 years are probably the weakest in terms of jockey talent.

Javier should be more consistent and more successful with the talent he rides. Look at race 1 today. That is a true indication of who you are defended so vehemently.

Just because he bats 20% and is a top earner doesn't make him a legend or a top performer.

Give Stewart Elliot Javier's mounts, same results. Give Ramón his mounts, Holy Sheeeet.... records are shattered.

taxicab
09-02-2014, 12:23 AM
I dare you to sit down and watch 300 replays with me. This is not a madman talking. I've handled 500k a year for years and have been profitable without rebates in many.

Javier is an overrated jock. His success proves nothing. He's an average jock who doesn't take full advantage of the talent of his mounts and he is taking advantage of an extreeeeeeeemely average riding colony. The last 10 years are probably the weakest in terms of jockey talent.

Javier should be more consistent and more successful with the talent he rides. Look at race 1 today. That is a true indication of who you are defended so vehemently.

Just because he bats 20% and is a top earner doesn't make him a legend or a top performer.

Give Stewart Elliot Javier's mounts, same results. Give Ramón his mounts, Holy Sheeeet.... records are shattered.
Blah...
Blah....
Blah.....
500 dimes.....whatever.
I know......you were doing turn times when you were 4 years old.
A hundred people thanked you personally.....
You hit 9 out of 10 at Penn.....for a cool 10k profit.
P-6's coming from everywhere.
You're the hero of every story....
Just because you say it doesn't mean people have to believe you.

PaceAdvantage
09-02-2014, 12:40 AM

A mental midget.This is becoming rather distasteful...time to close the thread...