PDA

View Full Version : Paco Lopez are you kidding?

TheEdge07
08-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Completely stopped riding the #1 horse at Monmouth in the 2nd.

camourous
08-23-2014, 03:33 PM
He wins a ton of races, but seems to not give any where near maximum effort more than half the time

Stillriledup
08-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Wow, that was ugly. You would have to think he's getting a 30 or 60 day suspension for that.

EMD4ME
08-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Wow, that was ugly. You would have to think he's getting a 30 or 60 day suspension for that.

My buddy who owns the horse was fuming. Said he told him to rate and make one move. He burned this horse in a 4 horse duel and refused to listen to instructions.

The stewards called him in and he said the horse didn't feel right late, hence why he stopped riding.

Stewards sent two vets out to check the horse out, couldn't find a thing wrong with him.

Stewards still said he will be placed on the vets list and must work under their watch.

Instead of suspending him a year, they are giving him credibility and siding with him. My friend was repulsed.

sammy the sage
08-23-2014, 09:10 PM
yep...they joined THe Arlington list today...they put up the supposed winner in the last race of the day w/NO photo or replay VERY quickly...only thing you got to see is the jockey praying who though he'd LOST...I thought I'd won...then a BIG smile on his face when posted...

mighta been a dead heat...he mighta won...he mighta lost...but hey....if you can't bother to even post a lousy photo...well...too bad...no more dinero from moi...

it's interesting tho...have complained about this before at other tracks...and at least a poster or two...(thanks CJ)...did find THE photo...except the last time I posted about Arlington as well...and oh well...

Stillriledup
08-23-2014, 09:23 PM
My buddy who owns the horse was fuming. Said he told him to rate and make one move. He burned this horse in a 4 horse duel and refused to listen to instructions.

The stewards called him in and he said the horse didn't feel right late, hence why he stopped riding.

Stewards sent two vets out to check the horse out, couldn't find a thing wrong with him.

Stewards still said he will be placed on the vets list and must work under their watch.

Instead of suspending him a year, they are giving him credibility and siding with him. My friend was repulsed.

That's incredible.

BIG49010
08-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Not to get completely off subject, but MTH today seemed to be less speed favoring than usual, and on these kind of days strange things seem to happen. Paco when the early speed is holding, wins with 4-5, when it's not some of rides look like what you describe.

nijinski
08-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Why isn't it possible the horse just didn't feel right under him ?
He's just a 3 yo that looks like he belongs with this class. One win
in 18 now 19 starts is not exactly a lock though.The horse could be
on the vets list for a reason .

nijinski
08-23-2014, 11:59 PM

Owner is listed as Gina Bentivegna you had me confused .

Stillriledup
08-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Why isn't it possible the horse just didn't feel right under him ?
He's just a 3 yo that looks like he belongs with this class. One win
in 18 now 19 starts is not exactly a lock though.The horse could be
on the vets list for a reason .

I'm going to ask you a question.

out of all the cheap claimers that are currently running in August of 2014 in the USA, what percentage of them feel "smooth" underneath their riders from start to finish in all the races they run in?

The next question is this.

If this particular horse "felt funny" at the wire the moment this guy stopped riding, did the horse feel incredibly smooth all the way until that very moment? It seems that he wants us to believe that what he felt at the wire was not the same as what he felt all the way around the track....because if the horse was "bumpy" or "not smooth" all the way, why not just finish the race considering he had already ridden the horse 999/1,000ths of the way already anyway?

If every jock riding every horse in America pulled up every horse that was anything less than "smooth as silk" we would have a lot more pullups i'd imagine.

nijinski
08-24-2014, 01:08 AM
[QUOTE=Stillriledup]I'm going to ask you a question.

out of all the cheap claimers that are currently running in August of 2014 in the USA, what percentage of them feel "smooth" underneath their riders from start to finish in all the races they run in?

The next question is this.

If this particular horse "felt funny" at the wire the moment this guy stopped riding, did the horse feel incredibly smooth all the way until that very moment? It seems that he wants us to believe that what he felt at the wire was not the same as what he felt all the way around the track....because if the horse was "bumpy" or "not smooth" all the way, why not just finish the race considering he had already ridden the horse 999/1,000ths of the way already anyway?

If every jock riding every horse in America pulled up every horse that was anything less than "smooth as silk" we would have a lot more pullups i'd imagine.[/QUOTE

I honestly cannot answer that without speaking to him . I would say it's like
wearing red flags on your sleeves if you stop like that on a favorite for no
reason . His percentage indicates a better rider than that . I honestly don't
know the reaon for this ride .
Why not finish the race ? Maybe the horse was out of wind or his frog was
sore only the owner and Farro know .

Like Eddie Arcaro once said when asked why he didn't move up ." What ? and leave the horse behind " ;).

tampahorseplayer
08-24-2014, 01:25 AM
Ride to the finish unless theres something drastic going on not you feel "weird" In japan if they dont ride to the finish and the vet clears the jockey gets fines and days. Cant believe the stewards just brused it off, thats why most have no trust of those in control. People are betting on him, this looks as if your not wanting to get a spot for a specific reason (memories of tampa and judice and derek bell reminds me of this type of thing) I didnt bet it but if I did Id want a real explanation, especially the owner/trainer.

nijinski
08-24-2014, 02:09 AM
Ride to the finish unless theres something drastic going on not you feel "weird" In japan if they dont ride to the finish and the vet clears the jockey gets fines and days. Cant believe the stewards just brused it off, thats why most have no trust of those in control. People are betting on him, this looks as if your not wanting to get a spot for a specific reason (memories of tampa and judice and derek bell reminds me of this type of thing) I didnt bet it but if I did Id want a real explanation, especially the owner/trainer.

I hear and understand the frustrations on this matter . I'd like to believe
he was protecting the horse but we really don't know .

Perhaps in Japan the fines and days are not easily appealed . Here the court judges are sympathetic to the jocks , so the stewards can have
their hands full and tied .

Situations like this perhaps with enough complaints , should at least warrant
full disclosure .

Stillriledup
08-24-2014, 03:00 AM

Perhaps in Japan the fines and days are not easily appealed . Here the court judges are sympathetic to the jocks , so the stewards can have

full disclosure .

Jocks are paid to ride, which means they need to ride to the wire. We can't have jocks just arbitrarily pulling up horses on whims. Picking and choosing which horse feels "funny" is not what i want to see. If you don't want to ride the horse all the way, give up the mount to someone who does.

TravisVOX
08-24-2014, 07:36 AM
A review of the publicly available rulings from this season would show that the stewards at Monmouth Park take this stuff seriously.

Some_One
08-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Jocks are paid to ride, which means they need to ride to the wire. We can't have jocks just arbitrarily pulling up horses on whims. Picking and choosing which horse feels "funny" is not what i want to see. If you don't want to ride the horse all the way, give up the mount to someone who does.

I actually agree with SRU here for once, the other thing I was thinking is if you think the horse is wrong, aren't you putting the others at risk but not pulling up? In HK, I'm pretty sure a blatant disregard for orders will also get you suspended, but like others have said, the tracks don't seem to want to punish trainers/jockeys, just the bettors.

EMD4ME
08-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Owner is listed as Gina Bentivegna you had me confused .

Yes Eric's wife's name is Gina.

EMD4ME
08-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Update : my buddy said Paco was fined $5000.00

Shemp Howard
08-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Take a look at Race #3 Saratoga today.

WHat was that jockey doing on the 4?

Stillriledup
08-24-2014, 04:24 PM

This makes no sense. Either he did something wrong or he didn't and if he did, which the fine seems to suggest, he needs at least 30 days too.

affirmedny
08-24-2014, 08:31 PM
yep...they joined THe Arlington list today...they put up the supposed winner in the last race of the day w/NO photo or replay VERY quickly...only thing you got to see is the jockey praying who though he'd LOST...I thought I'd won...then a BIG smile on his face when posted...

mighta been a dead heat...he mighta won...he mighta lost...but hey....if you can't bother to even post a lousy photo...well...too bad...no more dinero from moi...

it's interesting tho...have complained about this before at other tracks...and at least a poster or two...(thanks CJ)...did find THE photo...except the last time I posted about Arlington as well...and oh well...

Did the same thing today. No replay of the stretch run immediately after the last race, Just a camera shot of the winner galloping back until they put up the numbers. Simulcast TV presentation is horrible.

EMD4ME
08-30-2014, 02:43 PM

full disclosure .

Anyone who's been around this game long enough can smell a stiff job in .00000000005 seconds. Do I have proof of what I'm about to say. Absolutely not. But that my friend, was a stiff job at the wire.

No money hungry jock will pull up a horse 17 yards out because he feels funny, they will ride his ass off till the wire and then pull up after the money is made. Especially with a horse on the lead with 17 yards to go.

Stop living in a Pollyanna horse is racing is honest world.

gheuks
08-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Not a bad day for Paco at the spa today.. Won the prioress and Woodward.

Stillriledup
08-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Not a bad day for Paco at the spa today.. Won the prioress and Woodward.

Coincidentally, neither of those mounts felt "funny" at the wire.

drylee
08-31-2014, 10:03 AM
Farros must not be too upset with Paco, he rides their horse in the Turf Monster at Parx on Monday.

DJofSD
08-31-2014, 10:25 AM

I'm curious to know, is this owner also the trainer? If not, who is the jock suppose to listen to the most, the owner or the trainer?

Also, did a vet of the owner's/trainer's choosing examine the horse?

thaskalos
08-31-2014, 12:47 PM

Hush hush and on the QT...

Stillriledup
09-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Hate to drudge up old topics, but watching the 7th race today at Parx, Paco rode the rail horse To Commercial. A front running sort at 6-1, she was tiring at the wire while fighting to hold onto 3rd, Paco stopped riding her with maybe 10 yards to go in the race and then realized it was too soon to stop riding and he made sure she held 3rd. Now, he didnt cost his mount a board spot, but his inclination was to stop riding.

Did this filly "feel funny" too? Because if we are to believe that he only stops riding horses who "dont feel right" we have to believe this mare also had something wrong late.

As far as the original post in this thread, did we ever find out if that horse failed a vet inspection immediately after the race?
Did that horse race back?

TravisVOX
09-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Hate to drudge up old topics, but

:lol:

Stillriledup
09-15-2014, 04:30 PM

I put that in there specifically for you Trav, i knew you'd like that :D

Stillriledup
11-22-2014, 05:50 PM
paco just got outridden with a far superior horse in the Delta Jackpot for 1 milllion. Not sure how a 10 horse gets to save ground and this guy, from post 3, is out in the middle of the track.

letswastemoney
11-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Ocho Ocho Ocho had nice speed figures in his sprint races. There wasn't enough evidence that Mr. Z was better on paper.

Stillriledup
11-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Ocho Ocho Ocho had nice speed figures in his sprint races. There wasn't enough evidence that Mr. Z was better on paper.

Im just talking about how it played out.

Chad Brown had a horse today at Parx that is 5 lengths better than Ocho3, not impressed with Ocho, he's just a horse, nothing special. GREAT win for Jim Cassidy, they came here and needed to save every inch of ground to win, couldn't have been trained or ridden any better.

lamboguy
11-22-2014, 05:55 PM
aside from riding the horse great, i have to give Smith's agent credit for picking the winner over the Lukas horse. no way in life would i have ever got off MR Z for OCHO

Stillriledup
11-22-2014, 05:59 PM
aside from riding the horse great, i have to give Smith's agent credit for picking the winner over the Lukas horse. no way in life would i have ever got off MR Z for OCHO

Mike rode a filly for Cassidy earlier in card, it might have been a "package deal".

cj
11-22-2014, 06:03 PM
paco just got outridden with a far superior horse in the Delta Jackpot for 1 milllion. Not sure how a 10 horse gets to save ground and this guy, from post 3, is out in the middle of the track.

Can't say it was Paco's fault the others left the rail wide open for the 10 horse. I'd say more Smith got lucky and Paco didn't. The difference was the ride, but I'm not putting that one on Lopez.

Track Phantom
11-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Superb ride by Smith. Horse doesn't win without that ride. Mr. Z. had a tough early trip but Lopez did nothing wrong. Silly to say he did.

Ocho Ocho Ocho is bred to be a superstar. 3rd dam is Personal Ensign.

Valuist
11-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Far Right was making a big move on far turn when he got stopped. He ended up re-rallying for 3rd. With the camera angles, it was tough to DQ the winner, but I think with a clear run, Far Right nails both the top two.

Stillriledup
11-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Far Right was making a big move on far turn when he got stopped. He ended up re-rallying for 3rd. With the camera angles, it was tough to DQ the winner, but I think with a clear run, Far Right nails both the top two.

Lanerie should have muscled his way thru, he rode like this was a cheap race, you don't stand up like that in a million dollar race when you're full of run, if you elect to make that move on the backstretch, you know that it might come to being in very tight on the bullring, esp into the turns, he made the decision and then didn't follow thru.

affirmedny
11-23-2014, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=lamboguy]aside from riding the horse great, i have to give Smith's agent credit for picking the winner over the Lukas horse. no way in life would i have ever got off MR Z for OCHO[/QUOTE

maybe Lukas remembered the ride Smith gave MR Z in the breeder's cup

Stillriledup
09-29-2015, 03:00 PM
Pretty 'interesting' ride by Paco in the 5th today at Parx, he outbreaks the field but instead of going on with it, he wrangles the horse back into all sorts of traffic and eventually gets up to win by a small margin with a horse who would have won easy had he just went to the lead (after the quick break) like he was supposed to. Amazing the guy took a horse who was 5 to 10 lengths the best and managed to win by a nose, great job Paco and you guys wonder why we bag on jocks all the time.

v j stauffer
09-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Pretty 'interesting' ride by Paco in the 5th today at Parx, he outbreaks the field but instead of going on with it, he wrangles the horse back into all sorts of traffic and eventually gets up to win by a small margin with a horse who would have won easy had he just went to the lead (after the quick break) like he was supposed to. Amazing the guy took a horse who was 5 to 10 lengths the best and managed to win by a nose, great job Paco and you guys wonder why we bag on jocks all the time.

Like he was supposed to? You never cease to amaze. Then you post to rip a guy who WON the friggin race.

Man you have GOT to get yourself a life.

thaskalos
09-29-2015, 03:06 PM

He probably thought that a nose victory would be rewarded about as much as a run-away win.

Stillriledup
09-29-2015, 03:18 PM
He probably thought that a nose victory would be rewarded about as much as a run-away win.

Yes, congrats on almost getting this horse beat and needing a lucky head bob to get the win.

Stillriledup
09-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Like he was supposed to? You never cease to amaze. Then you post to rip a guy who WON the friggin race.

Man you have GOT to get yourself a life.

He walked to the front in 2 steps and then dragged the horse back into all sorts of traffic, did you even watch the race?

ReplayRandall
09-29-2015, 03:31 PM
He walked to the front in 2 steps and then dragged the horse back into all sorts of traffic, did you even watch the race?

I got this one Vic......Scoreboard Baby!!

Stillriledup
09-29-2015, 03:39 PM
I got this one Vic......Scoreboard Baby!!

3CClOsC26Lw

no breathalyzer
09-29-2015, 07:26 PM
:lol: i have to watch this one a couple more times before i comment

no breathalyzer
09-29-2015, 07:33 PM
i didn't pay attention to this sh**hole today but if the track was playing like it has been ( favoring speed) then this ride gets even an extra downgrade ... this is not the first time Paco has done this recently either. not sure whats going on there. i will remind you guys this was 7500 nl2 race with a 25 and 50 split... again a top jock with absolutely no clock in his head or does he need a drug test?

Stillriledup
09-29-2015, 07:36 PM
i didn't pay attention to this sh**hole today but if the track was playing like it has been ( favoring speed) then this ride gets even an extra downgrade ... this is not the first time Paco has done this recently either. not sure whats going on there. i will remind you guys this was 7500 nl2 race with a 25 and 50 split... again a top jock with absolutely no clock in his head or does he need a drug test?

It's just typical of the riders in today's game not being able to think or change plans on the fly.