PDA

View Full Version : LYELL CREEK......

racingrev
04-30-2004, 07:06 AM
:) The Greatest Trotter ever produced in the Southern Hemisphere, Lyell Creek regained his Title as the King of Australasian Harness Racing with the best win of his entire career in the Gr I Rowe Cup at Alexandra Park, Auckland, New Zealand.

After beginning fairly from a standing start in the two mile event Lyell was positioned in 6th place on the cones by race driver Anthony Butt.

Suddenly with 2 laps to go, he angled into the 1 out and 1 back trail...Inched around the outside to take the lead at the bell lap and then proceeded to demolish the best that Australia and New Zealand could serve up to him.

At the post, the Champion 10 year old, who campaigned in Sweden, the United States and Canada before returning home, was an amazing 7 and 3/4 lengths in front of his nearest rival.. And...Under a hold.

I have been following and broadcasting harness racing since the early 1980's and have never seen such a performance...

He surely is the Harness Racing version of the late Persian Punch.

GOD Bless and Long Live LYELL CREEK...

sq764
05-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Anthony Butt... Isn't he the one that tried his hand at Northfield Park and got his 'butt' handed to him?

racingrev
05-09-2004, 11:53 AM
All I can say is that I've bee calling races in New Zealand for 5 years and to my knowledge, the only time A Butt, has been out of the Southern Hemisphere it has been with Lyell.

And of course history now tells us that he kicked plenty of Canadian and US BUTT...:D

sq764
05-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Well, Anthony Butt didn't kick US and Canadian butt, the horse and Ron Pierce did :-)

InsideThePylons-MW
05-11-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by racingrev
All I can say is that I've bee calling races in New Zealand for 5 years and to my knowledge, the only time A Butt, has been out of the Southern Hemisphere it has been with Lyell.

And of course history now tells us that he kicked plenty of Canadian and US BUTT...:D

Anthony Butt came to North America about 5 or 6 years ago with a freak In The Pocket filly named Undercover Lover. She raced many times with good results against the best over here. This was what put him on the map in North America. When Butt came with Lyell, he was already a known commodity because of her.

sq764
05-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Well they must not have had that much confidence in him, since they chose to put Pierce on the horse in all the big US races.

netherworld
05-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Here's a replay:

http://203.97.9.107/Videos/2004/04/30/20040430-00211-0100.wvx

Exactaman
05-11-2004, 12:50 PM
that was cool. he made them look pretty silly.

Irish
05-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Well, well, well racingrev,

How delightful to find you here, extolling the awesome ability of Creek The Freak.

Wasn't he something else on Rowe Cup night??? Very glad I made the trek to see him.

Lyell goes round at Addington (in New Zealand's South Island) tomorrow night - Friday 14th - and again at Rangiora on May 29th.
So we shall see him twice more before he goes for a well earned spell.

racingrev
05-12-2004, 11:35 PM
:D Hope to see more of you here in Pace Advantage...The topics are excellent and the posters well versed in the various subjects.

Your input would be great...

BTW....If I'm allowed to be jealous...I am of your up coming trip...Have a great time....

mrp
05-13-2004, 06:33 PM
:) Thanks everyone for the update on Creek the Freak! I had the pleasure of seeing him up close and in person at the Meadowlands when he was here.. A. Butt was friendly and interesting to talk to, the Freak had his own Fan club traveling with him, it was real nice to see. It's always good to hear about a great horse, continuing on a Great career!! Mitch

sq764
05-13-2004, 08:29 PM
I admire your infatuation for the horse.

But he is not great by any means..

Just my opinion..