PDA

View Full Version : Travers Day Card

Spiderman
08-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Good day for racing. Starting with the first race:

Race 1 - :5: extraordinary middle in first start was in/out late; better timed ride at reduced distance works for me
:8: closed well in last v. lone speed
:1: 900k purchase is training well
:7: 800k purchase is breaking the stopwatch in AM

Race 2 - :9: will benefit from fts was stretching stride at 5 1/2f will like distance, but 3-1 ml is underlay
:2: closed well at distance to consider for minor placing
:4: displayed late kick to miss place spot to runaway winner - value play at 10-1ml

Race 3 - :3: and :7: these two look to be better than rest. My preference for :7:

Race 4 - :6: moved too early in fts (same jockey who moved too early with :5: in today's first race)
:2: well-bred, 700k purchase has excellent workout pattern for fts

Race 5 - Anything goes kind of race in last leg of P4/5.
:2: Shepherd/Irad combo runner made up ground v. runaway winner. :6: Was impressive in maiden win on dirt at 1 1/8 miles; shortens, switches to turf, but gets new rider. Could be any kind of good horse.
:9: late to develop Shug runner closed well in return

Races 6 and 7 - Lunch time

lamboguy
08-23-2014, 10:37 AM
i am going with #5 FROSTED who has shown me some big time ability training in the morning. this horse looks like he is cut out to be a monster. i would check him out in the paddock and on the track before making a bet on him because this race is loaded up with horses that have already started that are good and FROSTED will have to be all there to beat these guys.

Cholly
08-23-2014, 10:41 AM
The 3rd is a good race for a price; on the 2012 Travers undercard Linda Rice put a $53 horse over in a SN1X turf route. Today Saltine Warrior should be winging easy early and may last--if I can get close to the M/L of 15-1, I'm on him.

thespaah
08-23-2014, 01:02 PM
I have to ask...
What are her credentials? Does she have experience as a handicapper or on the backstretch?
Reasons why I ask...
When they toss to her in the paddock, she starts out fine then gets to a point where it seems she starts searching for words.
Before anyone goes for their flame thrower, I am not criticizing. I am merely making an inquiry.

Spiderman
08-23-2014, 01:06 PM
She was raised in a family involved with thoroughbreds in Maryland. IMHO, she can differentiate speed, distance and turf types. Her best comments are for 2-3 yr olds.

lamboguy
08-23-2014, 01:13 PM
i am going with #5 FROSTED who has shown me some big time ability training in the morning. this horse looks like he is cut out to be a monster. i would check him out in the paddock and on the track before making a bet on him because this race is loaded up with horses that have already started that are good and FROSTED will have to be all there to beat these guys.ran very green and got second money to an experienced horse, should get the money next time, but no 7-1

bello
08-23-2014, 01:15 PM
She was raised in a family involved with thoroughbreds in Maryland. IMHO, she can differentiate speed, distance and turf types. Her best comments are for 2-3 yr olds.
Been watching Maggie since Colonial. Best body language reader I have ever seen. Mark her opinions down and if you truely follow them you will see what I mean. Sure, she is wrong at times, but surprisingly not too often. She will NOT typically handicap, but if she does not like one, it will likely not win. Wolfendale family been in racing for years in Maryland. I believe she majored in Broadcasting in college. She does stammer at times and at times words seem to get lost when she speaks....so what....her opinions are what counts. And she is also a down to earth person. Me and some friends have spoken to her at Saratoga and she is more that happy to speak to the folks who have questions or just want to say hello. I always had a negative bias to the woman paddock commentators who I often thought were hired as simply another pretty face....Maggie broke the mold with some rare insight.

PhantomOnTour
08-23-2014, 01:17 PM
i am going with #5 FROSTED who has shown me some big time ability training in the morning. this horse looks like he is cut out to be a monster. i would check him out in the paddock and on the track before making a bet on him because this race is loaded up with horses that have already started that are good and FROSTED will have to be all there to beat these guys.
When Lamboguy releases a positive opinion regarding a FTS it is best you listen.

However - no way he gets 2nd if the tragedy doesn't occur.
Still - he ran well

lamboguy
08-23-2014, 01:37 PM
When Lamboguy releases a positive opinion regarding a FTS it is best you listen.

However - no way he gets 2nd if the tragedy doesn't occur.
Still - he ran wellthis is the worst feeling that one can have when a young talented horse like LUDICROUS was, he gave his heart out and took a bad step. very sorry for the horse and all those involved with him.

Spiderman
08-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Was sad to see horse breakdown in 4th. His heart was in it.
Good to take break with winner in 5th.

zico20
08-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Was sad to see horse breakdown in 4th. His heart was in it.
Good to take break with winner in 5th.

There is 770,000 down the drain. Feel so sorry for the horse. I hope the owners are rich because that is a ton of money to lose. Yes, the horse was put down.

Robert Fischer
08-23-2014, 02:27 PM
R7- I have a "bet-against" Negative comment for the :1: Dear Mama, but she isn't taking any money.

thespaah
08-23-2014, 02:33 PM
this is the worst feeling that one can have when a young talented horse like LUDICROUS was, he gave his heart out and took a bad step. very sorry for the horse and all those involved with him.
Watched on TV....So it was total breakdown? I assume the horse was put down?

lamboguy
08-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Watched on TV....So it was total breakdown? I assume the horse was put down?very unfortunately

thespaah
08-23-2014, 02:43 PM
very unfortunately
Sh!t...I hate it.

Clocker
08-23-2014, 02:45 PM
I always had a negative bias to the woman paddock commentators who I often thought were hired as simply another pretty face....Maggie broke the mold with some rare insight.

I find Dawn Lupul who covers Woodbine for TVG to be one of the best on the subject.

thespaah
08-23-2014, 02:47 PM
K..I was not questioning her expertise.
It's more or less her presentation.
I study people. And when someone starts searching for words, they start losing me.
That's why I asked.
Perhaps she should try to condense her commentary. JMHO.

Robert Fischer
08-23-2014, 02:48 PM
R7- I have a "bet-against" Negative comment for the :1: Dear Mama, but she isn't taking any money.

late scratch

Spiderman
08-23-2014, 03:11 PM
K..I was not questioning her expertise.
It's more or less her presentation.
I study people. And when someone starts searching for words, they start losing me.
That's why I asked.
Perhaps she should try to condense her commentary. JMHO.

More often, she gets perplexed when following-up on comment from guys in the booth, Serling and company. She should decide which horses to comment on without a lead-in from handicappers and also, to limit comments to appearance, confirmation, distance type - both positive and negative.

Spiderman
08-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Missed two chalky winners in races 6 and 7. Noted that two of the three turf races were won by close attendance to early pace. It gets that way when turf is changing from soft to firm. Here's the start of 2nd half of today's card:

Race 8 - :4: no bargain at 2-1, but has racing style and class to take it. Using steeplechase to straight turf :10: underneath for nifty exacta

Spiderman
08-23-2014, 03:49 PM
P4 begins with Race 9. Could be chalky, but will include a few upsetters for value:

Race 9 - Only speed in race is cheap :6: who I will not include on ticket. Best play at current 9-2 is :4: who has ability and John Velasquez to guide near front. Will also use overbet #7

Race 10 - See no reason why :8: will not roll-by these again. Race is loaded with speed and newcomer to graded stakes :7: will have plenty of company on frontend.

Race 11 - Again, blazing speed duel is expected. Taking two closers: :2: and :5:

Race -12 - Spreading with :2: , :7: best of the top three ml choices and using promising :4: and :5: who have tremendous upside potential.

Spiderman
08-23-2014, 04:04 PM
P4 begins with Race 9. Could be chalky, but will include a few upsetters for value:

Race 9 - Only speed in race is cheap :6: who I will not include on ticket. Best play at current 9-2 is :4: who has ability and John Velasquez to guide near front. Will also use overbet #7

Race 10 - See no reason why :8: will not roll-by these again. Race is loaded with speed and newcomer to graded stakes :7: will have plenty of company on frontend.

Race 11 - Again, blazing speed duel is expected. Taking two closers: :2: and :5:

Race -12 - Spreading with :2: , :7: best of the top three ml choices and using promising :4: and :5: who have tremendous upside potential.

Drats!!!!

Spiderman
08-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Race 10- Sticking with :8: to sweep past hot pace. Added sharp :3: for exacta and box.

Robert Fischer
08-23-2014, 04:30 PM
King's Bishop looks wide open to me.

:6: Fast Anna or :7: Big Beast could run away

or it could really collapse and set up for :3: Myositis Dan or :8: Coup de Grace

I didn't even mention :2: Wildcat Red

tough race

pk3 36/4/bayern

Robert Fischer
08-23-2014, 04:37 PM
rats

Stillriledup
08-23-2014, 04:39 PM
King's Bishop looks wide open to me.

:6: Fast Anna or :7: Big Beast could run away

or it could really collapse and set up for :3: Myositis Dan or :8: Coup de Grace

I didn't even mention :2: Wildcat Red

tough race

pk3 36/4/bayern

that was amazing, only in NY can a 7 furlong race be run like its a mile and a half.

Spiderman
08-23-2014, 04:41 PM
rats

:7: stayed off hot pace and :6: blazed away. I guess "rats" means that you didn't bet it. :8: had a tough trip between horses on backstretch and nowhere to go in stretch = Drats!!!!! again

Robert Fischer
08-23-2014, 04:42 PM
that was amazing, only in NY can a 7 furlong race be run like its a mile and a half.

Does that foreshadow the Travers scenario at all?

Not saying Fast Anna is in Bayern's class, but we could be looking at similar trips.

If so, who plays the role of Big Beast?

Robert Fischer
08-23-2014, 04:45 PM
:7: stayed off hot pace and :3: blazed away. I guess "rats" means that you didn't bet it. :8: had a tough trip between horses on backstretch and nowhere to go in stretch = Drats!!!!! again

I went horizontal when I should have at least thrown something down on the exacta and tri.

Thought catching the :6: at the front of that pick3 looked like value.
There was some mid-pack traffic there for sure.

Spiderman
08-23-2014, 04:50 PM
I went horizontal when I should have at least thrown something down on the exacta and tri.

Thought catching the :6: at the front of that pick3 looked like value.
There was some mid-pack traffic there for sure.
Good luck with the rest of ticket.

cutchemist42
08-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Over the Ballerina/Travers, I got a DD of :6: :8: // :2: :6: