08-21-2014, 06:41 PM
https://twitter.com/Bayern_colt/status/502530797128396800

thespaah
08-21-2014, 06:53 PM
https://twitter.com/Bayern_colt/status/502530797128396800
Thanks

reckless
08-21-2014, 10:37 PM
At Parx today there were whispers that Cali Crome was a go for the Pa Derby.

An acquaintance said that a meeting was called for tomorrow (Friday).

Not a word about Bayern, though.

jettroofer
08-21-2014, 11:18 PM
They were talking about it today on hrtv. Apparently, they are offering the owners of Cheome a $50K additional appearance fee so it's $100k guaranteed. Lol. Coburn actually made a comment related to how good the money was that he couldn't turn it down. Lol. $100K? He could have sold this horse for $7M and he thinks $100K is good money?? These owners will ruin this horse.

thespaah
08-21-2014, 11:45 PM
They were talking about it today on hrtv. Apparently, they are offering the owners of Cheome a $50K additional appearance fee so it's $100k guaranteed. Lol. Coburn actually made a comment related to how good the money was that he couldn't turn it down. Lol. $100K? He could have sold this horse for $7M and he thinks $100K is good money?? These owners will ruin this horse.
They should take a page out of John Veitch's book.
When asked about Alydar continuing his racing and making money for the owners Veitch retorted ""Money?" Money is like snow. Once it's over three feet it doesn't matter anymore."

RacingFan1992
08-22-2014, 06:53 AM
"The money helped the decision," trainer Art Sherman told Dick Jerardi of the Philadelphia Daily News.

To hell with the well being of the horse when there is money involved.:rolleyes: Let the flood gates of opinions open.

rastajenk
08-22-2014, 07:42 AM
Is there something about running in Philadelphia that adversely affects the "well being of the horse?"

Redboard
08-22-2014, 09:23 AM
"The money helped the decision," trainer Art Sherman told Dick Jerardi of the Philadelphia Daily News.

To hell with the well being of the horse when there is money involved.

Yea, please explain how it's detrimental to the horse.

Tom
08-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Maybe he might get mugged in Philly? :rolleyes:

Valuist
08-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Is there something about running in Philadelphia that adversely affects the "well being of the horse?"

I was in the car and listening to the XM feed of the racing network and the two hosts (afternoon, not Byk) were just ripping the hell out of the owners for this decision. A caller pointed out that Will Take Charge used the race as a final prep for the BC Classic, and the hosts pretty much had to admit they just didn't like the owners.

thespaah
08-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Not really.
The $100k is a legit appearance fee. CC needs a race under him after the payoff to get ready for what is certainly going to be a trip to Santa Anita for the BC CLassic.
My preference would have been to see CC face older horses in the JCGC or some other 10F G1 for 3 yo & up

thespaah
08-22-2014, 11:38 AM
I was in the car and listening to the XM feed of the racing network and the two hosts (afternoon, not Byk) were just ripping the hell out of the owners for this decision. A caller pointed out that Will Take Charge used the race as a final prep for the BC Classic, and the hosts pretty much had to admit they just didn't like the owners.
The connections for CC have not exactly endeared themselves to the general racing fan.
Not the fault of the horse or the trainer though....

castaway01
08-22-2014, 12:06 PM

Sherman did interviews last month talking about running at Los Alamitos on September 20th in a race specially created for California Chrome in a prep for the Breeders Cup. Now the owners get offered $100,000 and they decide to throw those plans out and head for Pennsylvania. It makes the owners again look like they're making decisions without any logical plan. This horse had a lot of fans and I think those people want to see the horse treated the best way possible, not worrying about appearance fees when they'll make millions at stud anyway. For racing fans though, assuming Bayern shows up, we get a better matchup than Chrome having a 1-9 walkover at Los Al.

RacingFan1992
08-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Yea, please explain how it's detrimental to the horse.

They shake a bag of money in front of the owners and the owners say "Oh lets race there." I think castaway01 summarizes it the best.

Stillriledup
08-22-2014, 01:55 PM
They shake a bag of money in front of the owners and the owners say "Oh lets race there." I think castaway01 summarizes it the best.

Castaway's post is good.

I would suggest that its only not detrimental to the horse if they were, at least sort of, thinking about going there anyway. If this was a stop that the never even really considered, than you have to certainly question the way this horse is being managed.

Redboard
08-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Dick Jerardi wrote an article a month or so ago explaining that the PA derby has always been a possibility for Chrome, according to their connections. They hadn't committed to anything. And as far as money, gee, isn't that why people run their horses in a race? duh. This is horse racing. Parx has had that incentive ($50k for each TC race won) the last few years. Monmouth has a similar incentive for their Haskell, I believe, and I don't remember anybody here crying over that. Get over it people. No one has given one logical reason why it's bad for the horse, because there isn't any.

Tom
08-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Maybe when they shale that bag of money, the horse gets hit in the face with it?

I guess the bag of money they shake for the Travers doesn't count.