PDA

View Full Version : 50 cent Trifectas and PK3s

horses4courses
08-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Does anyone have a statistical breakdown on the lower denom wagers?

I used to think that the lower the betting increment, the better for the player.
Now I'm not convinced, as I think handle has either remained constant on these
wagers, or even dropped some. If that's the case, then payoffs suffer.

Lower minimums has to mean more winning tickets.
Handle must rise to compensate, or am I wrong?

sammy the sage
08-20-2014, 10:09 PM
anything THAT takes THE government hands outta THE till is a GOOD thing...ie...signers...less of... ;)

however...THE idiot dime super players who take 5 mins at the machine to wage $2.60...those people actually decrease handle immensely as they block access to people wanting to be more quickly...can't tell ya how much they've SAVED me... :lol: :D ;)

horses4courses
08-20-2014, 10:29 PM
anything THAT takes THE government hands outta THE till is a GOOD thing...ie...signers...less of... ;)

however...THE idiot dime super players who take 5 mins at the machine to wage $2.60...those people actually decrease handle immensely as they block access to people wanting to be more quickly...can't tell ya how much they've SAVED me... :lol: :D ;)

Like it :cool:

Stillriledup
08-21-2014, 02:23 AM
I don't have any data to back this up, but it just seems that its a lot harder to get a 1,000 tri for 1 dollar (500 for 50 cents) at the 50 cent tracks.

Boxing 10 horses at a 1 dollar tri track is 720....which very few can afford. A 50 cent box is 360, still hard to afford, but much more affordable.

tanner12oz
08-21-2014, 05:48 AM
I don't have any data to back this up, but it just seems that its a lot harder to get a 1,000 tri for 1 dollar (500 for 50 cents) at the 50 cent tracks.

Boxing 10 horses at a 1 dollar tri track is 720....which very few can afford. A 50 cent box is 360, still hard to afford, but much more affordable.

without a doubt its harder. I hate the .50 cent bets..in the old $1 min days you could have middle priced horses that were challenging to get in a ticket now that everyone's ticket has twice as many combos those 5-1 shots play like chalk....you gotta get really crazy to blowup all the tix nowadays

thespaah
08-21-2014, 06:22 PM
I still maintain it's all relative.
The min is immaterial.
Here' why.....If one is concerned the dime base payoff is going to be low should he hit the bet, then why not increase your base. Instead of dime supers, bet 20-30 40 or 50 cent supers....
Same for trifectas. If the 50 cent base is going to take from your anticipated payoff, bet in $1 increments.
yes, there are more people in the pool with winning wagers, but if you're betting twice the money ( trifectas) or 3 to 5 times their bet in the supers, who cares?

Poindexter
08-21-2014, 06:58 PM
I guess what is happening is that if a track used to have a $1 pick 3 and sold $100,000 tickets, but they now have a 50 cent pick 3 and the pool is still $100,000, there are now double the combinations being bet, which makes the pools more efficient(the chance that a combo might be under bet goes down). So basically most combinations will pay around what they should (25 to 30 % above a parlay) instead of certain combinations being way over bet(below a parlay) and other combinations being way under bet(paying double the parlay amount). The net effect to the public is the same, but if you are a bettor that focuses on horses the public tends to miss, you would prefer the higher bet amounts, because your "value" plays will get better value with less combos being bet.

tanner12oz
08-21-2014, 07:08 PM
I still maintain it's all relative.
The min is immaterial.
Here' why.....If one is concerned the dime base payoff is going to be low should he hit the bet, then why not increase your base. Instead of dime supers, bet 20-30 40 or 50 cent supers....
Same for trifectas. If the 50 cent base is going to take from your anticipated payoff, bet in $1 increments.
yes, there are more people in the pool with winning wagers, but if you're betting twice the money ( trifectas) or 3 to 5 times their bet in the supers, who cares?

because a dime super hit 10 times would still pay less if it was a dollar min and you hit it once

iceknight
08-21-2014, 08:05 PM

Boxing 10 horses at a 1 dollar tri track is 720....which very few can afford. A 50 cent box is 360, still hard to afford, but much more affordable. That's really good handicapping though!

Stillriledup
08-21-2014, 08:19 PM
That's really good handicapping though!

I could box 10 in a 9 horse field and still lose. Or, i'll win and they'll DQ me for "interference". :D

Stillriledup
08-21-2014, 08:23 PM
I guess what is happening is that if a track used to have a $1 pick 3 and sold $100,000 tickets, but they now have a 50 cent pick 3 and the pool is still $100,000, there are now double the combinations being bet, which makes the pools more efficient(the chance that a combo might be under bet goes down). So basically most combinations will pay around what they should (25 to 30 % above a parlay) instead of certain combinations being way over bet(below a parlay) and other combinations being way under bet(paying double the parlay amount). The net effect to the public is the same, but if you are a bettor that focuses on horses the public tends to miss, you would prefer the higher bet amounts, because your "value" plays will get better value with less combos being bet.

Good post Poiny, i agree.

Also, to add, its "cheaper" to get to the top of the odds board.

taxicab
08-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Does anyone have a statistical breakdown on the lower denom wagers?

I used to think that the lower the betting increment, the better for the player.
Now I'm not convinced, as I think handle has either remained constant on these
wagers, or even dropped some. If that's the case, then payoffs suffer.

Lower minimums has to mean more winning tickets.
Handle must rise to compensate, or am I wrong?
This is a pretty good post...
In terms of how the public "plays" smaller increments,believe it or not they hit the chalk harder.
Go figure....