PDA

View Full Version : 7 1/2 Furlong Distance at AQU

Zaf
04-29-2004, 11:36 PM
I noticed Wednesday the 8th at AQU was run at a distance of 7 1/2 F on the dirt. I have never noticed this distance at AQU before. Anyone have info on this ?

ZAFONIC

Tom
04-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Never seen this distance at any NYRA track. Why ther are running it is beyond me. Like on WOod day, they ran a 10.5 furlong race.
Sounds like the racing secretary is bored or has too much time on is hands.

cj
04-30-2004, 01:51 AM
Its the first one in at least 5 years!

OTM Al
04-30-2004, 08:48 AM
They said it was the first time ever. They're going to card a couple at Belmont as well. The idea is to bring sprinters and routers together. It's gimmicky, but why not. You have 5f, 5 1/2f, 6f, 6 1/2f, 7f, 8f, 8 1/2f, 9f, 9 1/2f all being run already. Guess which was the only distance missing. It's a rare distance also because many tracks can't run it based on their configurations, but with the mile chute at Aqueduct and Belmont, its an easy distance to set.

Valuist
04-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Somebody in their racing office doesn't like speed handicappers. They could've thrown us a bone and made that starter race on Wood day 1 1/8 miles so we could make a better number for the Wood. And now this moronic 7.5f race?? Gotta love Oaklawn's philosophy on sprints: other than an occasional 5.5f race, they're all 6 furlongs.

OTM Al
04-30-2004, 10:23 AM
One could say you've also gotta love Oaklawn's sense of tradition. Then again, how long was it before you were able to make any exotic bets there on a regular basis. I was just musing the other day that we as handicappers are always looking for and appreciative of new and innovative ways to look at races, but we generally scoff at any attempt at innovation from the track or a trainer. I applaud Aqueduct's attempt to shake the picture up a bit. They also ran optional claimers for the first time ever this winter. At least somebody there is trying to do something with the product. As for me, there are certain length races that make me feel uncomfortable as a handicapper. Anything under 6f to be precise. I have a simple answer to them when I see them in the program. Pass.

Valuist
04-30-2004, 10:37 AM
I spent some time at Oaklawn around '86 or so. I remember those days when the only gimmicks were a double and the "Classix". Fortunately, Cella has changed his thinking.

Is there really any reason to card a 7.5 furlong race? I can just hear these idiot trainers "well a mile is just too far and 7 panels just isn't enough." My advice to any trainer who says that is you better re-think your methods cause maybe the horse just flat out sucks.

Tom
04-30-2004, 10:51 AM
I always thought 7 furlongs was the compromise between sprints and routes.
I suspect 7.5 will be the distance that is still not long enough for plodding sprinters and still not short enough for tiring routers.
What's next, 7.4 and 7.6 furlong races?
Thunbs down to NYRA, and the hat stays put today.

OTM Al
04-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Like I said, I applaud the idea of shaking things up. That said, I do have to agree that it is kind of silly to run so many different distances. I really dislike anything below 6f. I won't bet them and think that if a 2 yo is not able to go 6f yet, he shouldn't be racing yet. 6f makes sence, as does a mile, 1/8 m, 1 1/4 m and 1 1/2 m. The rest are just peculiar to me. Turf sprints simply boggle my mind. But I don't have a problem with trying something new. Hey, I'd love to see some of the marathon distances brought back too. Bring some real distance racing back to these shores. Definitely would enjoy that more than 7 1/2 f.

Hosshead
04-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Tracks like to do anything that could possibly help create a Pic-6 carryover. Chaos races (7-1/2 furlongs) is one of the tricks in their bag.