PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Saturday

lamboguy
08-16-2014, 07:45 PM
this has to be the best year that i have ever seen for Saturday racing. hard to pick though, but its exciting racing.

my hat goes off to the new racing secretary there for being innovative and filling up the cards with very solid challengers.

next year i know its not going to be that easy so i am glad they started on the right foot and maybe they can keep it going.

Tom
08-16-2014, 07:48 PM
I thought the card sucked wind.
Didn't bet a penny on it.

This has been the worst meet I can remember, going back to 1977.
Not even bothering to download the cards anymore.

Bluto Blutarsky
08-16-2014, 08:56 PM

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”

― Plato

Tom- 64,924 posts and counting...

SandyW
08-16-2014, 10:57 PM
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”

― Plato

What if I told you that TOM is not the LONE RANGER in his thinking when talking about the garbage that SARATOGA is giving the players this meet.

PS: How was that great $300,000 four horse race that they gave the players today. I want to know who can call this great racing ??????????

pandy
08-16-2014, 11:09 PM
I thought it was a very good card Saturday and I had a huge day, also had a huge day Thursday. Overall, I think the cards are just about what I like. I like competitive but not impossible cards, there is still plenty of value to be had. Dream Saturday ($29) was a huge overlay today, he raced against a severe bias at Gulfstream last start, was getting positive trainer and rider changes and his last two speed figures were strong, and, he was the system play using my Pace Shape Method from my book, Pace Handicapping Longshots (after Crafty Dreamer was scratched).

PhantomOnTour
08-16-2014, 11:16 PM
I thought it was a very good card Saturday and I had a huge day, also had a huge day Thursday. Overall, I think the cards are just about what I like. I like competitive but not impossible cards, there is still plenty of value to be had. Dream Saturday ($29) was a huge overlay today, he raced against a severe bias at Gulfstream last start, was getting positive trainer and rider changes and his last two speed figures were strong.
Or you could just note that he is trained by Dick Dutrorrrrrrrrr, I mean Michelle Nevin
;)

Tom
08-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Empty vessels?
Like your head maybe?
Sorry I don''t agree with your opinion of Saratoga, but not agreeing with you is usually the smart thing to do.

+1

JustRalph
08-16-2014, 11:31 PM

― Plato

Tom, lacking wit? Yeah right........ :bang:

Tom
08-17-2014, 12:03 AM
I thought it was a very good card Saturday and I had a huge day, also had a huge day Thursday. Overall, I think the cards are just about what I like. I like competitive but not impossible cards, there is still plenty of value to be had. Dream Saturday ($29) was a huge overlay today, he raced against a severe bias at Gulfstream last start, was getting positive trainer and rider changes and his last two speed figures were strong, and, he was the system play using my Pace Shape Method from my book, Pace Handicapping Longshots (after Crafty Dreamer was scratched).

Glad you hit, but I think using BRIS speed ratings is the path to the poor house - they are bad.

the little guy
08-17-2014, 02:04 AM
Tom, you know I really like you, but when you post such silliness you just become a parody of yourself.

You only have one life. Enjoy it.

porchy44
08-17-2014, 07:31 AM
There have been so many days this meet after scratches there only remains 5-6 horses in the race. This is a deal breaker for me.

jk3521
08-17-2014, 07:42 AM
It's simple. The players who are winning this meet like it, the players ,like me, who are not , dislike it. Human nature! :) One "boxcar" win and I'll be a fan :D .

pandy
08-17-2014, 08:00 AM
Glad you hit, but I think using BRIS speed ratings is the path to the poor house - they are bad.

In my new book, SPEED and CLASS HANDICAPPING: A step-by-step Speed Handicapping System, I'll show how to win consistently using the Bris figures and past performances, but the methodology can be easily adapted to the Beyer or Equibase speed figures. Personally, I think the Beyers are the best, but my book doesn't put you on the horse with the best last race figure, or best recent figure, but shows how to use speed figures in a way that makes them a powerful handicapping tool. As we know, many, if not most, underlays are overbet because of the last race speed figure. This is not the best way to use these ratings. But, with the proper perspective, they are a potent.

Not4Love
08-17-2014, 08:59 AM
I agree with Tom. Compare the race card of today with 10,20,30 years ago. It's so obvious. The lowest claiming levels have dropped over the years to a new low of $16,000 and maybe 10 last year. What about allowance NW4X? Anyone remember these. That race hasn't filled in 10 years. Optional claiming allowance? This is something that had to be dreamed up just to fill a card. Oh...non winners of 2L or 3L. Just 10 years ago these didn't exsist. Why???
Why??? BECAUSE THE HORSES WERE BETTER . Anyone who disagrees is either too young to remember or doesn't have a clue.

burnsy
08-17-2014, 09:34 AM
There have been so many days this meet after scratches there only remains 5-6 horses in the race. This is a deal breaker for me.

This is a problem at all the major tracks but you gotta roll with it. There's no denying the best horses and competition are here. I had a tough time yesterday but this meet has been good to me. I play exactas and some of the short fields are easy picking if you concentrate. I hit one that paid 49.60 in a 5 horse field with chalk on top. The 300,000 dollar race with 4 horses paid 40.80. I didn't have it yesterday but c'mon 4 horses with chalk on top and people are bitching? Sometimes I load up on these giveaways. When people bitch about these, I try to make them a positive in my wallet.......and sometimes it ain't that hard if you are thinking instead of complaining. Its so competitive there are not that many 11 dollar exactas......

Tom
08-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Tom, you know I really like you, but when you post such silliness you just become a parody of yourself.

You only have one life. Enjoy it.

I do. At Monmouth and Woodbine.
Not so much Toga and AP.
You know I respect you a lot, but I just cannot get excited over Toga anymore.

burnsy
08-17-2014, 10:24 AM
.......and I didn't even bring up the Alabama yesterday. I didn't have it, kind of whiffed yesterday.....but look at those pay offs with the most likely winner of the day on top......... 9 horse field, chalky, chalk on top....big balloons. The whiners are the ones that will never get a piece of that.

SandyW
08-17-2014, 12:13 PM
In my new book, SPEED and CLASS HANDICAPPING: A step-by-step Speed Handicapping System, I'll show how to win consistently using the Bris figures and past performances, but the methodology can be easily adapted to the Beyer or Equibase speed figures. Personally, I think the Beyers are the best, but my book doesn't put you on the horse with the best last race figure, or best recent figure, but shows how to use speed figures in a way that makes them a powerful handicapping tool. As we know, many, if not most, underlays are overbet because of the last race speed figure. This is not the best way to use these ratings. But, with the proper perspective, they are a potent.

Where can I get this book and what is the exact title of the book?

thespaah
08-17-2014, 10:49 PM

Wow....Just wow...

thespaah
08-17-2014, 10:51 PM
What if I told you that TOM is not the LONE RANGER in his thinking when talking about the garbage that SARATOGA is giving the players this meet.

PS: How was that great $300,000 four horse race that they gave the players today. I want to know who can call this great racing ??????????
I will ask...Who are we to expect great racing..Every card. Every race?
When were any of us promised "perfect"?

thespaah
08-17-2014, 10:54 PM
And your opinion of let's say this year's Del Mar, Arlington, Monmouth meets is ?

SandyW
08-18-2014, 12:13 AM
And your opinion of let's say this year's Del Mar, Arlington, Monmouth meets is ?

Del Mar, Monmouth, pretty good.
Arlington just fair.

pandy
08-18-2014, 06:23 AM
Where can I get this book and what is the exact title of the book?

Thanks for your interest. The book is not finished, I just got the cover art back. Here is the link:

http://www.handicappingwinners.com/longshotbook.htm

Tom
08-18-2014, 07:31 AM

Not playing Del Mar anymore - stopped with the turf debacle.
AP is not on my usual list. I pllyed it Saturday and was not impressed.
Monmouth is my go to track at the moment.

What difference does it make?
It is MY opinion of the tack, no one else;s.

1st time lasix
08-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Not playing Del Mar anymore - stopped with the turf debacle.
AP is not on my usual list. I pllyed it Saturday and was not impressed.
Monmouth is my go to track at the moment.

What difference does it make?
It is MY opinion of the tack, no one else;s. *****yes...we all love those Jersey bred races along with the 2L and 3L races that seemed to dot each day's pick five. I play Monmouth too.... but comparing the overall racing at Monmouth favorably over the meet at Saratoga has to be some type of joke. To each his own. Some prefer watching truck-pulls and home shopping network to American football too.

Tom
08-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Excuse me for having an opinion.
But you must have missed the NY Breds and NW2 that keep showing up in NY.
Myself, have no use for NY Bred races, 2yos races, or turf sprints.

But I should still play Saratoga for the name?

:kiss: MA