PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry Indicted

jballscalls
08-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Rick Perry indicted for three things

1. Coercion
2. official oppression
3. uhhhh...ummm I'm blanking

I don't even know what all this means, just everyone on the old twitter is talking about it

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/rick-perry-indicted-for-lehmberg-veto-threat/ng3zF/?ecmp=statesman_social_twitter_2014_sfp

jballscalls
08-15-2014, 07:23 PM
So Perry tries to run off a DA who gets DWI's and that's a bad thing?

Greyfox
08-15-2014, 07:28 PM
So Perry tries to run off a DA who gets DWI's and that's a bad thing?

He should have suspended her with pay.

What he did was beyond that.

fast4522
08-15-2014, 07:33 PM
And there are those who doubt a public flogging was not in order.

horses4courses
08-15-2014, 07:37 PM
And there are those who doubt a public flogging was not in order.

For Perry?
I'd pay to see that. :jump:

fast4522
08-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Being the consummate liberal, you know I was not referring to the Governor.

JustRalph
08-15-2014, 08:25 PM
This is going to be interesting. They are getting back at him by sabotaging his White House run.

It's easy to get the indictment. He says he's within his right to veto under his exec authority for any reason. I think he's right. But a jury is now going to decide.

But it kills his Prez campaign which was their real goal. Unless he can get it tried super fast. Look for delays on the prosecutors side.

Btw, notice the late Friday announcement.......

http://youtu.be/xxX-qhJTfkI

Check her out

ArlJim78
08-15-2014, 08:34 PM
What a sweetheart, makes Rob Ford look rather respectable.

ArlJim78
08-15-2014, 08:41 PM
lol, at one point in that video they had her restrained with the full Hanibal Lector set-up! ladies and gentlemen, meet your district attorney.

Tom
08-15-2014, 11:25 PM
sabotaging his White House run.

I thought he did that himself?
The last thing we need is retread losers trying for another bite of the apple.

dartman51
08-15-2014, 11:40 PM
This is going to be interesting. They are getting back at him by sabotaging his White House run.

It's easy to get the indictment. He says he's within his right to veto under his exec authority for any reason. I think he's right. But a jury is now going to decide.

But it kills his Prez campaign which was their real goal. Unless he can get it tried super fast. Look for delays on the prosecutors side.

Btw, notice the late Friday announcement.......

http://youtu.be/xxX-qhJTfkI

Check her out

You like late Friday announcements? Try this one.
http://news.investors.com/politics-andrew-malcolm/081514-713401-obama-libya-9-11-airplane-hijackers.htm

This should make the Libs feel all warm and fuzzy. :rolleyes:

JustRalph
08-16-2014, 12:05 AM
If local radio is any indication, this thing is bringing out the knives everywhere. I heard two state senators vow to cut all funding off to the city of Austin in the next session.

This thing is blowing up huge.

ArlJim78
08-16-2014, 12:33 AM
talk about theater of the absurd, this woman headed up the Public Integrity Unit. :lol:

PhantomOnTour
08-16-2014, 12:35 AM
I thought he did that himself?
The last thing we need is retread losers trying for another bite of the apple.
Like John McCain?

johnhannibalsmith
08-16-2014, 12:48 AM
Like John McCain?

Have you ever read Tom's McCain rants? They may be some of his best.

You can't fix stupid.
McCain is for it.
Boehner is for it.
Pelosi is for it.
Obama is for it.

Do the math.

You can't unite the republican party - far too many a***** in it.
The leadership is a disgrace - they as much the enemy as the dems are.
Boehner, McCain......losers. 100% losers.

Can we send McCain home now?
He is non-essential personnel.

Fossils like he and McCain have no place in government.
This is why we support TP candidates - get rid of deadwood

Losers like Boehner and McCain will be purged and then there will be two parties

McCain was done after 1947.

Aqueduct's closing will be announced.

John McCain will embarrass himself yet again by opening his mouth.

John McCain looked shovel ready

I thought she was the stronger half of the ticket.
Since then, McCain has convinced me I was right.

McCain told reporters he had learned nothing.

That's what Sarah told him.

That's from results 1-25 of 348 search references to McCain. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PhantomOnTour
08-16-2014, 12:54 AM
I think this country is ripe for a third party

Tom
08-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Like John McCain?

McCain committed political suicide, than, annoyingly, came back from the dead as a political zombie. Palin was the strength of that ticket.

Still, given the choice of McCain of the Ass Clown, it was a no-brainer.
McCain's best feature was that he was not Obama.

Tom
08-16-2014, 10:21 AM

1947 and shovel ready, can't decide which is my favorite.
Thanks John, made my morning! :lol:

I think there was one around the 1947 post where Eichmann was leading McCain in the polls.

nearco
08-16-2014, 11:14 AM
lol, at one point in that video they had her restrained with the full Hanibal Lector set-up! ladies and gentlemen, meet your district attorney.

This isn't about Rosemary Lehmberg. It is much deeper than that. Perry is in deep shit here for what he tried to do.

Let me give you some background.

TX is overwhelming conservative/republican state...... except for an island of liberal/democratic/progressive politics right in the middle, Travis Co/Austin.

The DA for Travis Co heads up a Public Integrity Unit. The PIU is what got Tom DeLay indicted and has gone after other elected officials for corruption/abuse of power. The Republicans in Texas HATE, like REALLY REALLY HATE, the PIU. They would love to see it curbed, have it's wings clipped. Problem is that Travis Co is a blue county, and will almost always return a Democrat for DA.

So along comes Rosemary Lehmberg the Democrat DA for Travis Co. She gets arrested for DUI and a pretty damning video to go along with it. Everybody is aghast after seeing the video. Initially, the general consensus among most people in Travis Co after first seeing it is the video is that Lehmberg should resign. Then someone goes, er wait a minute, if Lehmberg resigns, Perry get's to handpick an appointee to fill out the remaining 3 years of her term. This would be like Christmas in July for the Republicans. They were practically rubbing their hands with glee. Now was their chance to take over the PIU, maybe outright kill it.
Once the reality sank in that Perry would be appointing her successor, people asked her to not resign and serve out her term until the next election cycle, when the people of Travis Co would pick her successor (she has already agreed to not run for reelection, and she wouldn't have been reelected anyway).
Now, this pissed Perry/Republicans off, as they were sure she would resign. So instead, Perry decided he would abuse his office to try to threaten her into resignation.

This is not about wanting to keep Lehmberg, it is about not letting Perry bully the people of Travis Co into allowing him to put one of his cronies in charge of the PIU.

JustRalph
08-16-2014, 11:44 AM
The governor has the authority to veto anything he wants.

He didn't abuse his power, he did all this in the open and in public. He is exercising his authority over an obviously tainted office.

When Austin is broke, there will be revenge. Let them try to indict the State Senate et al......

Greyfox
08-16-2014, 11:48 AM

He didn't abuse his power, he did all this in the open and in public. He is exercising his authority over an obviously tainted office.

When Austin is broke, there will be revenge. Let them try to indict the State Senate et al......

He should have suspended her with pay until proven guilty.
Anything beyond that was an abuse of power.

I have a problem though with how did a video like the one below ever go viral on the internet?
Why was it allowed to be made in the first place?
Whoever released it should be canned too.

s7y7oJ266qI

nearco
08-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Austin broke? You wish. Austin is a boom town pal. People can't move to Austin fast enough.... something like 180 people a day.

Perry has no authority to force an elected official to resign. Coercion of a public servant is a 3rd degree felony under state law.

There is no statute in Texas law that says she has to resign. He tried bully boy tactics. The jury will decide if he broke state law with his attempts at coercion.

nearco
08-16-2014, 12:04 PM

He has no authority to suspend her. He is not her boss.

JustRalph
08-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Jail records are public records. Including video. All you have to normally do, is request it. Sometimes they fight it, but not often. Normally the request is made by news crews, attorneys etc. the standard used to be "public interest" not sure what it is now.

It might have been smuggled out, but the news would have probably received it anyway

Tom
08-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Is there a bridge into Austin?
'cause if there is, Chris Christie could help Perry out a lot!

Greyfox
08-16-2014, 12:07 PM
He has no authority to suspend her. He is not her boss.

Who is her boss?

Every civil servant has a boss.

Greyfox
08-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Jail records are public records. Including video. All you have to normally do, is request it. Sometimes they fight it, but not often. Normally the request is made by news crews, attorneys etc. the standard used to be "public interest" not sure what it is now.

It might have been smuggled out, but the news would have probably received it anyway

If that's the law, that's the law.
It doesn't make it morally right and it seems like a beyond the envelope invasion of privacy to me.

nearco
08-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Who is her boss?

Every civil servant has a boss.
The voters of Travis County. She is an elected official, not appointed.

Greyfox
08-16-2014, 12:15 PM
The voters of Travis County. She is an elected official, not appointed.

No right of recall eh?

Seems to me that the citizens there need a mechanism to suspend anyone charged with a felony (DUI).

JustRalph
08-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Austin broke? You wish. Austin is a boom town pal. People can't move to Austin fast enough.... something like 180 people a day.

Perry has no authority to force an elected official to resign. Coercion of a public servant is a 3rd degree felony under state law.

There is no statute in Texas law that says she has to resign. He tried bully boy tactics. The jury will decide if he broke state law with his attempts at coercion.

I'm not referring to Austin proper. I'm referring to the threat by State Senators to cut off State funds to Austin. I heard it from two of them on radio last night. I don't think they can sell the entire body, but if they could, "The City of Austin" could be in a world of hurt.

Btw, by Statute in Texas the Governor is "The Chief Budget Officer" I think we are going to hear that phrase a lot

nearco
08-16-2014, 12:28 PM
No right of recall eh?

Seems to me that the citizens there need a mechanism to suspend anyone charged with a felony (DUI).

There is no statewide law covering right of recall in Texas. I believe it varies from municipality to municipality

Robert Goren
08-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Perry's indictment is political bullshit by a renegade democratic DA in safe district. I put in class of political shenanigans with things like impeachment of Clinton.

dartman51
08-16-2014, 01:31 PM

I have a problem though with how did a video like the one below ever go viral on the internet?
Why was it allowed to be made in the first place?
Whoever released it should be canned too.

s7y7oJ266qI

Would you have the SAME problem, if that was Perry in that chair?

dartman51
08-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Is there a bridge into Austin?
'cause if there is, Chris Christie could help Perry out a lot!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Greyfox
08-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Would you have the SAME problem, if that was Perry in that chair?

I'd have the same problem if it were anyone in that chair.

JustRalph
08-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Perry's indictment is political bullshit by a renegade democratic DA in safe district. I put in class of political shenanigans with things like impeachment of Clinton.

Short, sweet, to the point :ThmbUp:

Tom
08-16-2014, 03:43 PM
If that's the law, that's the law.
It doesn't make it morally right and it seems like a beyond the envelope invasion of privacy to me.
Public employees have no right to privacy - WE pay them, WE have the right to know hat goes on. You want privacy, get a private job.

Spiderman
08-16-2014, 04:04 PM

You can't fix stupid.
McCain is for it.
Boehner is for it.
Pelosi is for it.
Obama is for it.

Do the math.

Losers like Boehner and McCain will be purged and then there will be two parties

That's from results 1-25 of 348 search references to McCain. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me know if you find this one: "I'll know corporations are people when Texas executes one."

Greyfox
08-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Public employees have no right to privacy - WE pay them, WE have the right to know hat goes on. You want privacy, get a private job.

Wakey, wakey.:rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to the employees.

Greyfox
08-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Wakey, wakey.:rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to the employees.

She was arrested as a private citizen, right?

reckless
08-16-2014, 07:26 PM

Committing perjury and trying to fix a court case were the reasons Bill Clinton, the serial sex offender and deviant, was impeached.

Clinton's impeachment was not political shenanigans, such as the indictment of both Gov. Perry and Rep. Tom Delay. The latter was found not guilty.

Tom
08-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Save your breath - libs have immunity to facts.
They will follow Clinton - any Clinton over a cliff.
Libs cannot ever accept that one of their own is wrong.

sammy the sage
08-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Save your breath - libs have immunity to facts.

Libs cannot ever accept that one of their own is wrong.

to bad you DON'T HAVE very good reading comprehension skills...our OWN Robert Goren just ADMITTED it was a lib. MISTAKE... :lol: :D :rolleyes: :faint:

by the way in LEAST anybody forgets...I detest/despise BOTH sides...and have BASHED BOTH w/equal delight... :p ;)

classhandicapper
08-17-2014, 09:54 AM

You can't fix stupid.
McCain is for it.
Boehner is for it.
Pelosi is for it.
Obama is for it.

Do the math.

I'm disappointed in Tom on this subject. He's getting soft. :lol:

McCain is the only major politician I know of that is totally incompetent in business and economics and even more incompetent in his area of supposed expertise in foreign policy. How he rose within the republican party (other than war hero status) is a mystery to me. He should have been retired decades ago. Obama is a nightmare of incompetence that I could easily say even worse things about, but at least he's going away soon. McCain is like a zombie.

JustRalph
08-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Rick Perry's mug shot

Clocker
08-19-2014, 11:18 PM
I think that if the people of Austin want to have a blathering drunk for a D.A., that's fine, as long as they pay for her salary, staff, and expenses.

dartman51
08-19-2014, 11:37 PM
These people keep trying, I guess they think "3rd time is charm". They tried with Tom Delay, and 20 years ago they tried it with Kay Bailey Hutchison. Both cases went down in flames. :eek:

Clocker
08-20-2014, 02:24 PM
It appears that several grand jurors broke the law to explain their decision to the Houston Chronicle. (http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/08/19/several-perry-grand-jurors-broke-the-law-to-explain-why-they-think-perry-broke-the-law/)

JustRalph
08-20-2014, 06:16 PM
It appears that several grand jurors broke the law to explain their decision to the Houston Chronicle. (http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/08/19/several-perry-grand-jurors-broke-the-law-to-explain-why-they-think-perry-broke-the-law/)

Sounds like a change of venue and prosecutions are indeed in order

Clocker
08-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Sounds like a change of venue and prosecutions are indeed in order

One of the jurors is a Democratic activist (http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/08/20/surprise-perry-grand-juror-is-also-a-partisan-democrat-activist/) and a delegate to the state Democratic convention.

JustRalph
08-20-2014, 09:44 PM
One of the jurors is a Democratic activist (http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/08/20/surprise-perry-grand-juror-is-also-a-partisan-democrat-activist/) and a delegate to the state Democratic convention.

Lots of talk on radio here that a judge might throw the indictments away before any trial. I'm about to listen to three hours of local radio here in Dallas, while at the wife's Rest. Should be interesting.