PDA

View Full Version : LLWS

raybo
08-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Little League World Series first round, Philadelphia's Mo'Ne Davis, one of only 2 girls in this year's Series, pitched a complete game shut out in the team's last game to get them to Williamsport, then today she pitched another complete game shut out in their first round game, against a veteran Tennessee team that also made it to Williamsport last year.

This young girl has 3 solid pitches (actually 4), a 70 mph 4 seam fastball (over 90 mph when converted to a 60 foot mound), 2 types of breaking balls (curve and slider), and a "splitter" off speed pitch. Threw less than 70 pitches in 6 innings with about 75-80% strikes.

She is a real "pitcher", who thinks and throws like a veteran. No fear by this young lady! Next start will probably be Monday, catch it if you get the chance!!

cj's dad
08-15-2014, 05:54 PM
How old is she? 12-14? No one should be throwing breaking balls at that young of age; no one. Her arm will be shot soon.

TJDave
08-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Her arm will be shot soon.

It's not like she's got a career in the bigs. :rolleyes:

raybo
08-15-2014, 11:06 PM
How old is she? 12-14? No one should be throwing breaking balls at that young of age; no one. Her arm will be shot soon.

She's 13, and they all throw junk by that age. I'm 66 and was throwing 5 pitches at 9. It's not like it's anything new. But, the difference with her is that she throws them with accuracy, working inside, outside, and varying speeds and delivery.

But, leave it to a horse player to put some kind of negative on pure talent. :bang:

raybo
08-15-2014, 11:09 PM

Well, it's a little early for making that kind of judgement, don't you think? High school coaches in Philly are watching her, with interest, already.

She also plays basketball well, and her long term goal is to play in the WNBA, so maybe we don't see her on the diamond as a pro, but rather on the court.

cj's dad
08-16-2014, 12:13 AM
But, leave it to a horse player to put some kind of negative on pure talent. :bang:

Your are 100% correct. When I saw Secretariat win the KD I knew he was a flash in the pan !:rolleyes:

Don't you know that women can do anything a man can do !!

magwell
08-16-2014, 01:12 AM
Except pee standing up.........:)

raybo
08-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Well, apparently, this forum is the wrong place to discuss anything new or different. I should have known better. Geez, you guys really need to find something better to do with your time. If you're so convinced that the female sex is so fragile and weak that you can project their impact in the future, maybe you haven't been paying enough attention. This is no longer just "a man's world", women are making inroads into almost everything one can imagine.

In the complete history of the LLWS there have been a total of 4 girls that made it to Williamsport. Not because they weren't talented enough but because they weren't supposed to be able to compete with the boys. Well, this young lady completely dominated the last two "boys" teams she faced, one of which has come back to Williamsport for the 2nd straight year. While she may not be the best pitcher this year, her performances thus far are certainly worthy of note. That was all I wanted to do here, note it, so if you're so chauvinist that in order to feel better about your "maleness" that you feel it's your duty to dismiss her talent, without even seeing her perform, then that says quite a bit about who and what you are. Hope you at least feel better about yourself now, even if it doesn't say much about your maturity.

098poi
08-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Except pee standing up.........:)

Actually they can, they just don't.

tucker6
08-16-2014, 07:19 AM
I saw highlights of her performance yesterday. Impressive. As for boys and girls competing together, at that age both sexes have approximately the same capabilities (especially pitching), but as soon as the boys hit puberty the gap starts to widen considerably.

MutuelClerk
08-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Amanda Whurlizer was way better and had a better coach.

jballscalls
08-16-2014, 11:09 AM
That was all I wanted to do here, note it, so if you're so chauvinist that in order to feel better about your "maleness" that you feel it's your duty to dismiss her talent, without even seeing her perform, then that says quite a bit about who and what you are. Hope you at least feel better about yourself now, even if it doesn't say much about your maturity.

It's a great story and she's seems like a great role model.

jballscalls
08-16-2014, 11:11 AM

my uncle Mel was a pitching coach for the yankees for a decade and he wouldn't even let his sons pitch at all until they were sophomores in high school. And only let them throw changes and fastballs til they were in college. Both boys played in the bigs, one of them had a long career and won titles with the Blue Jays.

I threw a bunch of dueces by age 14 and had elbow problems by age 17.

pains me to agree with you on anything, but here I must

raybo
08-16-2014, 12:10 PM
The advent of the slider relieved much of the bad stuff regarding throwing junk at a young age. Back when I was a kid, there was no slider, you threw wide hooking curve and drop balls that put a lot of stress on the shoulder and elbow. Sliders don't require all that much twisting of those joints. Wish sliders had been around back then, I may have lasted through high school. I peaked at 14-15 before the pain started, after that it was not pleasant.

Tall One
08-16-2014, 02:31 PM

:ThmbUp: :D

proximity
08-16-2014, 03:53 PM

it always bothered me though that buttermaker never developed kelly leak as a pitcher. when amanda starts to fade vs the yankees he has to go to rudi stein? :D

cj's dad
08-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Mo'ne pitches Wednesday evening @ 7:30

raybo
08-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Yeah, and a real thriller last night! Come from behind win in the 6th against a pretty good Texas team. Mo'ne got an RBI, although hitting is definitely not her forte, and played 3 different positions.

One more winnable game, IMO, and then they will probably play one of the international teams. They are at a different level again this year, of course when you get to play year round you should be better than those who don't.

RaceBookJoe
08-18-2014, 09:37 AM
The Las Vegas team has been on fire so far.

cj
08-18-2014, 09:48 AM
it always bothered me though that buttermaker never developed kelly leak as a pitcher. when amanda starts to fade vs the yankees he has to go to rudi stein? :D

That's awesome!

bks
08-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Great game last night (rooting hard for Philly). Shame for that shortstop from Texas, but hopefully he'll rebound next game.

proximity: It's long been well know that Buttermaker had "Pete Rose syndrome." Those games weren't on the up and up. C'mon now.

tucker6 wrote:
I saw highlights of her performance yesterday. Impressive. As for boys and girls competing together, at that age both sexes have approximately the same capabilities (especially pitching), but as soon as the boys hit puberty the gap starts to widen considerably.

Won't argue with you :) but one sport in which the gap unexpectedly widens more slowly is hockey. I used to operate a high school hockey magazine here in Philadelphia and I remember that at one point there were about 1,700 or 1,800 skaters across about 120 high schools in the Delaware Valley. 7 of them were girls (one was near the league lead in scoring for awhile and made an all-star team).

This wasn't AAA hockey, mind you. But it was eye-opening to see 16-year-old girls out there competing alongside their same-aged male classmates, and usually pretty darn well.

dav4463
08-18-2014, 09:22 PM
I went to a bar the other night and Little League was on the TV! I asked if there were any grownups playing some sport that we could watch. Heck, I could even watch cricket, rugby, ping pong or darts or something! I don't think Little League deserves to be on TV anyway, much less at a bar!

raybo
08-18-2014, 09:54 PM
I went to a bar the other night and Little League was on the TV! I asked if there were any grownups playing some sport that we could watch. Heck, I could even watch cricket, rugby, ping pong or darts or something! I don't think Little League deserves to be on TV anyway, much less at a bar!

Wow - no comment. :confused:

cj
08-19-2014, 01:02 AM

I'm no fan of the way it is covered now, just seems weird. I still remember when all we used to get was a tape delayed final on ABC.

KingChas
08-19-2014, 06:08 AM
I asked if there were any grownups playing some sport that we could watch.

Being a Phillies fan..... :sleeping:

These little league games I have watched so far are more exciting, than the grown men I have tried to watch play
( :ThmbDown: ) this year.

NJ Stinks
08-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Yea, Las Vegas was the better team. But....

The home plate umpire was quite capable of turning any hitter into a bad sport. (It seemed like somebody told him ESPN had to get to the Dodger game pronto.)

MutuelClerk
08-21-2014, 07:46 AM
Little kids on ESPN is like Chester The Molester at a Boy Scout Meeting. Can't watch.

KingChas
08-21-2014, 08:48 AM
9000 more fans than the Phillies drew Wednesday.

Valuist
08-21-2014, 09:45 AM
The Jackie Robinson West team (Chicago) takes on Philly. Both teams have one thing in common: one loss in the tourney, and both to the same team (Las Vegas), who pretty much look like the class of the US teams.

bks
08-21-2014, 10:39 AM
The Jackie Robinson West team (Chicago) takes on Philly. Both teams have one thing in common: one loss in the tourney, and both to the same team (Las Vegas), who pretty much look like the class of the US teams.

Las Vegas was -600 last night. They were -180 on an alt 2.5 run line, so they are regarded as the dominant team by far.

raybo
08-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Las Vegas was -600 last night. They were -180 on an alt 2.5 run line, so they are regarded as the dominant team by far.

Yeah, they are tough, sooner or later, if you don't score some runs, they will get hot and beat the crap out of you. Their pitching ain't bad either!

cj's dad
08-21-2014, 02:51 PM
The young girl was interviewed Tuesday on ESPN - I thought that was a bit much !

proximity
08-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Being a Phillies fan..... :sleeping:

These little league games I have watched so far are more exciting, than the grown men I have tried to watch play
( :ThmbDown: ) this year.

as ridiculous as this sounds, the team seems to be getting better. consecutive series wins vs the mariners, cardinals, and now the red hot nationals. should have won that series against the giants too. (there was a pathetic inning in the saturday game where the giants scored on two balls that didn't leave the infield) and revere sneaking up on the batting title!!!

dav4463
08-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Little kids on ESPN is like Chester The Molester at a Boy Scout Meeting. Can't watch.

So you get where I'm coming from here! :D It just doesn't feel right in a bar!

cj's dad
08-26-2014, 11:31 PM
So you get where I'm coming from here! :D It just doesn't feel right in a bar!

See post #32- it just does not seem right !