PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul on Missouri Riots

Ocala Mike
08-15-2014, 09:07 AM
I don't know how far he's going in 2016, or whether he's just pandering to minority voters, but at least his anti-big government views on the militarization of our police forces seem consistent. I never understood how all the haters of big government always give a pass to big military and, now, big police. The same people who decry big brother government always seem to reflexively rally around the police in any controversy where they are accused of being out of touch with the community they are to "protect and serve."

Tom
08-15-2014, 09:18 AM
We don't.
We give respect where it is due.

Our troops are A-1.
Most of our military brass are.....brass-holes.
Our CNC certainly is.
Having anything less than the absolute bet military possible is unacceptable.

In this case, the sides are rioting mobs and police trying to protect the innocent. This is where the conservative philosophy of accountability come to play.

If that cop is found responsible, he should get the max, no doubt.
But rioting and looting have no place in the process.

Ocala Mike
08-15-2014, 10:19 AM
This is where the conservative philosophy of accountability come to play.

But rioting and looting have no place in the process.

And I agree that rioting and looting have no place in the process, but peaceful assembly/ protest against a perceived injustice does have a place. As far as accountability, again, it's a great philosophy but it needs to extend to both sides. I fail to see how destroying tv cameras and lights and failing to disclose the identity of the police officer involved until public pressure came to bear conforms to that philosophy.

Tom
08-15-2014, 10:52 AM
That is a different philosophy.
That one is common sense.
You want to give the man's name and address to a mob.
I could agree to give out his name, if they were dealing with sane, civilized people.

But they are not.
For the most part yes, but they some seriously deranged people there.

RunForTheRoses
08-15-2014, 01:53 PM
I don't know how far he's going in 2016, or whether he's just pandering to minority voters, but at least his anti-big government views on the militarization of our police forces seem consistent. I never understood how all the haters of big government always give a pass to big military and, now, big police. The same people who decry big brother government always seem to reflexively rally around the police in any controversy where they are accused of being out of touch with the community they are to "protect and serve."

You should read the posts on this site for a different non mainstream position:
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/

Clocker
08-15-2014, 02:22 PM
I never understood how all the haters of big government always give a pass to big military and, now, big police.

This is a sweeping generalization unsupported by fact. A large number of people that believe in small government believe that a smaller, more efficient military is the correct policy. Few on the right except the neo-cons, now discredited over their Iraq policy, would support a militarized local police.

TJDave
08-15-2014, 02:44 PM
What did Rand Paul say?

_______
08-15-2014, 03:51 PM
What did Rand Paul say?

http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/

RunForTheRoses
08-15-2014, 04:10 PM

Groveling for the African American vote should he make it t the big showdown with Hilary or whomever else in Nov 2016.

Clocker
08-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Groveling for the African American vote should he make it t the big showdown with Hilary or whomever else in Nov 2016.

Paul's political philosophy is straight libertarianism, as learned at the knee of his father. His position on this issue is right out of the libertarian play book, which is one reason I doubt that he ever has a serious chance at the GOP nomination, let alone the White House.

As some have noted this week, if Paul ran against Hillary, he would be running to the left of her on foreign policy issues. That would not sell well with the right wing.

TJDave
08-15-2014, 04:28 PM

Brilliant!

Two questions:

Does Rand Paul know he said this?

Will he deny he said what he said?

TJDave
08-15-2014, 04:29 PM

How many African Americans read Time?

RunForTheRoses
08-15-2014, 04:43 PM
How many African Americans read Time?

Das Raciss!

Clocker
08-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Does Rand Paul know he said this?

You mean the Time opinion piece that he wrote and signed?

TJDave
08-15-2014, 04:59 PM
You mean the Time opinion piece that he wrote and signed?

Yes.

I believe he has a cadre of all different stripes of writers filed away for occasions such as this.

I think he's a Stepford politician.

classhandicapper
08-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Paul's political philosophy is straight libertarianism, as learned at the knee of his father. His position on this issue is right out of the libertarian play book, which is one reason I doubt that he ever has a serious chance at the GOP nomination, let alone the White House.

As some have noted this week, if Paul ran against Hillary, he would be running to the left of her on foreign policy issues. That would not sell well with the right wing.

This is 100% accurate.

I'm sure there are a few areas where Rand is more pragmatic than his father because he wants to go further politically, but this is straight out of the libertarian play book. Libertarians are to the right of the republicans on the Fed, markets, economics, the role of government and to the left of the democrats on foreign policy, police, NSA etc....

Tom
08-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Politics is not linear, it is circular.
The farther you go to the right, the closer you get to the left.