PDA

View Full Version : Oaks, Derby undercards

Valuist
04-29-2004, 01:49 PM
I give an A to the Oaks undercard. I must admit I'm very disappointed in the Derby undercard. Sure, some great horses like Azeri and Congaree but from a betting perspective, the non-Derby races aren't great betting races. In the 5th you have Congaree at 4-5 in the ml, the 6th is a 2YO stake (why not run the 2YOs as the 1st race of the day not to wreck Pic 3s,4s,6s??) the 7th has a Frankel horse at 6-5 in the morning line and the 8th has Azeri. I have no problem sitting out the Azeri and Congaree races but I hate seeing so many of the Pic 3s become unplayable. The day to fire the heavy ammo is Friday, not Saturday.

ceejay
04-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Actually, I think that Azeri could be vunerable sprinting 1-turn off a carrer-best Beyer over a new (perhaps sloppy) surface. But if you like her and Congaree you could turn the P6 into a P4 (or P3 if you like Frankel's horse in the 7th).

The Woodford Reserve looks like an excellent betting race.

OTM Al
04-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Best race on Saturday that is not the Derby....AQU 8th, the Withers Stakes (Gr 3) for 3 yo. Two Down Automatic, Redskin Warrior, Shaniko, and the quickly developing Forest Danger. Throw in Medalist and One Tough Dude and you've got a pretty competitive little race to watch before the Derby goes off.

Valuist
04-29-2004, 05:49 PM
And toss in Saratoga County in the Withers. Looks like there is some early speed in there. I'm not a fan of Redskin Warrior; big numbers on the inner are fraudulent, IMO. Forest Danger may be favored off that big 7f race but that was a lightning fast speed favoring track. Shaniko could be tough; I can see the Lexington becoming a key race, and if it is, look out for Saratoga County.

cj
04-29-2004, 05:57 PM
I don't think the Withers is so great, it features a horse who will be 3-5 and most likely win.

Valuist
04-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Here's a memo to Churchill Downs: cut out these early post times!

Racing at 10:00 Central or 8:00 in Vegas? That's ridiculous. They start even earlier on Thanksgiving weekend. They will miss out on a lot of offtrack handle by doing that. Many people don't realize they are starting that early and will walk into their OTB/track and see its the 5th race. And another thing for the deep thinkers at CDI, must we wait so long between races??? The game really shouldn't be that difficult to run but you guys make it that way.

Tom
04-30-2004, 09:49 AM
With so much racing this weekend, I can't understand TVG...some hours, they will onyl be showing 3 races! Yikes!
This is roughly the same old crap as 20 years ago, going to one Track and wating 20 minutes between races.
I shudder to think what horrendously stupid commentary the talking heads will fill the racing void with.
Almost makes me think it would worth it to go to the track and sit in the simulcast area.
TVG........it's the HORSES stupid :mad:

Valuist
04-30-2004, 10:00 AM
I was going to take a half day today and go out and bet the Oaks card....until I realized I would miss half the card.

I'm new to TVG so I haven't been too critical YET but it does seem like they could show more races. On a day like today, if they have some dead time in the afternoon, they should re-run some of the CD stakes that were run earlier.

Tom, only problem with the simulcast area is that it will be twice as crowded as usual today and about ten times that tomorrow.

OTM Al
04-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Going to have such a problem until the industry gets its act together. Should have learned the lesson from baseball. They all thought regular TV broadcasts would ruin their gate, but instead it made the product accessable to more fans and increased attendance. This is the answer to the monetary problems in racing. Get the product out there for all to be able to see on a regular basis. Create racing fans. Slot machine money is not the answer.

BillW
04-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Tom
With so much racing this weekend, I can't understand TVG...some hours, they will onyl be showing 3 races! Yikes!
This is roughly the same old crap as 20 years ago, going to one Track and wating 20 minutes between races.
I shudder to think what horrendously stupid commentary the talking heads will fill the racing void with.
Almost makes me think it would worth it to go to the track and sit in the simulcast area.
TVG........it's the HORSES stupid :mad:

For a greater appreciation of TVG coverage, just switch on ESPN2's "Breakfast at Churchill". The host just mis-pronounced Steve Asmussen's name. The "u" was pronounced as the "o" in mother. I've never heard anyone blow that one.
I must admit though, that I am much more enlightened about the ladies' hat makers in the area. :D

Bill

Tom
04-30-2004, 10:43 AM
ESPN......at last, employment opportunities for the bottom 10% of the graduating classes! :D

chickenhead
04-30-2004, 10:44 AM
I agree, the 8,9,10 P3 could offer tons of value, everyone and their momma will single Azeri. I wish it was a stronger field, but I am thinking about playing everyone in the 8th, hoping for the big upset, like the 5 winning, single to the 1 in the 9th, to about 10 horses in the Derby. $70 bet, all I need is the single to come in in the 9th.

Anybody here handicap the 9th yet? Like/dislike Perfect Soul in that spot?

Can anybody here tell me what the pick 3 with the Derby as the last leg paid off over the last few years?