PDA

View Full Version : My lucky day....

1st time lasix
08-12-2014, 11:52 AM
After a couple of glorious days in Chicago...visiting Wrigley field and Arlington Park...I grabbed the form to kill time on the solo three-hour plane ride back home. I studied the last six races the following upcoming day at the Spa. Upon landing... I decided to take that turn left toward the local simulcast facility to watch the races unfold...rather than go home. Well....thanks to a Asmusson first-time starter....a thrilling winning photo finish....and a paint-scraping ride by Castellano on "I Spent It" ....I found myself alive in the final leg of the pick six on my $160 ticket. Either the one or the eight would give me the best reward of my handicapping life. For the first time....I found myself too nervous to even sit down. The gate opened and the field was a blur. The eight was hung out in traffic and was clearly not going to be a factor. The red blanket was tucked in third behind two other entries setting a relatively slow pace--- so my heart was in my throat. Would he get there??? The final two furlongs seem to be run in slow motion. In the final 20 yards..the 1-Day's Ride" gave me my day to remember by "getting up just in time". Six winners in a row! Earlier I cashed a big super with that Asmusson 27-1 shot on top.... and now I had the coveted Pk six! My biggest day ever! Big smiles:) Plenty of tips and drinks all around. The day will serve as a memory "eraser' for all those tough beats...lost photos...steward take-downs...and lousy rides. Very happy. My ship finally came in.....:cool:

Exotic1
08-12-2014, 12:05 PM
After a couple of glorious days in Chicago...visiting Wrigley field and Arlington Park...I grabbed the form to kill time on the solo three-hour plane ride back home. I studied the last six races the following upcoming day at the Spa. Upon landing... I decided to take that turn left toward the local simulcast facility to watch the races unfold...rather than go home. Well....thanks to a Asmusson first-time starter....a thrilling winning photo finish....and a paint-scraping ride by Castellano on "I Spent It" ....I found myself alive in the final leg of the pick six on my $160 ticket. Either the one or the eight would give me the best reward of my handicapping life. For the first time....I found myself too nervous to even sit down. The gate opened and the field was a blur. The eight was hung out in traffic and was clearly not going to be a factor. The red blanket was tucked in third behind two other entries setting a relatively slow pace--- so my heart was in my throat. Would he get there??? The final two furlongs seem to be run in slow motion. In the final 20 yards..the 1-Day's Ride" gave me my day to remember by "getting up just in time". Six winners in a row! Earlier I cashed a big super with that Asmusson 27-1 shot on top.... and now I had the coveted Pk six! My biggest day ever! Big smiles:) Plenty of tips and drinks all around. The day will serve as a memory "eraser' for all those tough beats...lost photos...steward take-downs...and lousy rides. Very happy. My ship finally came in.....:cool:

Congrats, great to hear. Go celebrate.

Ocala Mike
08-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Well deserved kudos! Still waiting for my ship to come in; hopefully, it will not be the Costa Concordia or some other cruise line ship where everone on board gets dysentery.

Augenj
08-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Watch out. You might get shunned in the bar like Richard Dreyfuss did in Let It Ride. :D Congratulations. :ThmbUp:

bks
08-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Awesome, FTL!

Cholly
08-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Cool story, congrats on the hit!

How 'bout letting us in on how your $160 ticket was structured...

pacer
08-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Great job enjoy

Zydeco
08-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Congrats!!

PICSIX
08-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Nice :ThmbUp:

stringmail
08-12-2014, 01:35 PM
In the final 20 yards..the 1-Day's Ride" gave me my day to remember by "getting up just in time".

..now THAT is living right. In all of the excitement, were you aware of what happened at the end of that race?

Great hit.

Wickel
08-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Wow! What a day, indeed. Hope you experience many more.

Appy
08-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Great! Love to hear the happy hits, and TWO biguns in one day is a real whizzer.

Excepting when someone has done a tapdance on the ALL button...

1st time lasix
08-12-2014, 03:29 PM
thanks guys....admit I was in a bit of a daze for 24 hours. Deposited the track check for the pick six {net of witholding} today. Kept the cash from the other to spread around a bit. My co-workers...favorite waiter...dry cleaning lady..ticket puncher....even the parking garage gate-keeper got a "bump." For a guy like me with a "bet small...to win big" strategy in pick 4's, 5's and 6's....the droughts between drinks are sometimes long. The near misses are sometimes painful. I have been bulldog- like persistant in getting better at both handicapping and ticket structure. Nice when luck and skill intersects now and then. :ThmbUp: Good luck to all!

Stillriledup
08-12-2014, 03:34 PM
Congrats FTL, this is a hit to remember, awesome stuff!! :ThmbUp:

RaceBookJoe
08-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Love hearing things like this, congrats !!!

jahura2
08-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Great job FTL, its nice when our hard work, persistence and loyalty to the game pays off.

RunDustyRun
08-12-2014, 04:13 PM
as a pick 5 player myself, I certainly understand the long droughts and near misses...to hit a pick 6 makes it all worthwhile...congrats!

Stillriledup
08-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Great job FTL, its nice when our hard work, persistence and loyalty to the game pays off.

The pick 6 is SO hard to hit, but to hit it for less than 200 is fantastic handicapping and ticket structuring for sure. Its great to see a smaller player hit one of these.

MOG4023
08-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Great Job L1,

Kind of makes it all worth while.............Kinda of... wait - ****in hell it validates all we do.

Keep going while your confidence is strong....(same wagering level of course)

thespaah
08-12-2014, 05:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43NA22EXrIY

rrpic6
08-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Big Congrats 1st time lasix! The euphoria is quite intoxicating! Nothing quite like it. "Trotter" in "Let it Ride" had it, and now "You are walking tall". Thanks for sharing a great story. All the long, hard, lonely hours of burying your head in the DRF or BRIS bears its fruits!

RR

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2014, 10:57 AM
After a couple of glorious days in Chicago...visiting Wrigley field and Arlington Park...I grabbed the form to kill time on the solo three-hour plane ride back home. I studied the last six races the following upcoming day at the Spa. Upon landing... I decided to take that turn left toward the local simulcast facility to watch the races unfold...rather than go home. Well....thanks to a Asmusson first-time starter....a thrilling winning photo finish....and a paint-scraping ride by Castellano on "I Spent It" ....I found myself alive in the final leg of the pick six on my $160 ticket. Either the one or the eight would give me the best reward of my handicapping life. For the first time....I found myself too nervous to even sit down. The gate opened and the field was a blur. The eight was hung out in traffic and was clearly not going to be a factor. The red blanket was tucked in third behind two other entries setting a relatively slow pace--- so my heart was in my throat. Would he get there??? The final two furlongs seem to be run in slow motion. In the final 20 yards..the 1-Day's Ride" gave me my day to remember by "getting up just in time". Six winners in a row! Earlier I cashed a big super with that Asmusson 27-1 shot on top.... and now I had the coveted Pk six! My biggest day ever! Big smiles:) Plenty of tips and drinks all around. The day will serve as a memory "eraser' for all those tough beats...lost photos...steward take-downs...and lousy rides. Very happy. My ship finally came in.....:cool:AWESOME!! I'm late to this party, but I remember the very first time I was alive in the Pick 6 going into the last leg, hitting the first five legs on a measly ticket (I want to say I only spent $16 on the ticket, but it might have been a bit more...definitely no more than $50...and it wasn't a chalk-fest either).

I remember it clearly...a cold, February day at Aqueduct back in the early 90s...like you, when it was post-time for that final leg, I was a nervous wreck...I believe also, like you, I was alive to two horses in the final leg, but unlike you, the best I could finish was third...what a thrill that was nonetheless at that time in my early horseplaying life.

Mr_Ed
08-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is one cool read. Until I can hit the 'BIG' one, the best I can do is dream vicariously thru posters.

Anyway, you mentioned the huge super you hit earlier on the card.

How much 'hedging' did you do on that last P6 race?

Steve 'StatMan'
08-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Congrats 1XL!

rubicon55
08-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Congratulations, that SoCal win in the 7th shook off a lot of tickets, good job :ThmbUp:

1st time lasix
08-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is one cool read. Until I can hit the 'BIG' one, the best I can do is dream vicariously thru posters.

Anyway, you mentioned the huge super you hit earlier on the card.

How much 'hedging' did you do on that last P6 race? Good question. *****Since i was alive in the pick four to several...I looked long and hard at the ones I didn't have in the time after the "will pay" numbers were available. In this case I bought a 3 dollar exacta- "all" with my two "live" horses second underneath. I then bought another 5 dollar exacta ticket that read my two main back ups with my more likely 1 horse underneith. Of course this only pays off if my selections run second. I also bought two straight up 15 dollar win tickets on the two i felt were most likely to upset my applecart. The total "hedge" was only about sixty or seventy bucks. If they came in ---i would just be covering my total expenses for the sequence. {$164 plus the hedge} Have had that happen a couple times.....it sucks. In this case i happened to squeeze out my big winner. :jump: By the way--- the horse that came in second was not one that I had the win ticket on. If he had held on to win...I only would have had the 3 dollar exacta. Indeed it was my lucky day.

cato
08-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Fantastic story and results! Congratulations!

NJ Stinks
08-20-2014, 01:41 AM
Great news for sure, 1st Time Lasix! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

As an aside, nice to see your perseverance in heading to the OTB from the airport was amply rewarded! :cool: