PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Selections: Monday, August 11

Teach
08-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Race One:

In the opener, a 6 and ½ furlong sprint for a tag of 20k, I’m going with :7: Midnight Missile. Yeh, I know. Look, I make no bones about it; I’m looking for value. I just can’t be wagering “a bob or two” (shilling) on even-money shots, especially in races where there’s the possibility of an upset. What can I say in affirmation about this A.P. Indy-bred (Seattle Slew) 4-year-old gelding? Well, let me start by saying that the only prior time that this gelding dropped in for a tag, late March at Aqueduct in 25K claiming company, the gelding won. The jockey then, as he is now: Manny Franco. Charlton Baker owns and trains. Baker is very good with horses entered in a claiming race; he also does well in races in which horses are cutting back from a route to a sprint. Others: :1: Dedicated Deal; :4: Silver Morgan; :5: Awesome Heart.

Race Two:

I can hear track announcer Tom Durkin now: “ Battle Axe shot out of the gate like a cannon. As the field moves into the far turn that’s Battle Axe by three widening lengths…and at the wire, it’s Battle Axe. An impressive performance by this first-time starter.” Frankly, I like the turf pedigree on both sides of this New York state-bred filly, :1: Battle Axe. Although this filly’s morning work-tab is mediocre, I like the fact that trainer Gary Contessa has worked the filly on the grass at Saratoga‘s “Oklahoma” training track. Yes, I know, Gary is only seven percent with first-time starters; yet there are always exceptions. It’s just that I believe that if this filly is who I think she is (based on her turf lineage), she’s most capable of winning at first asking. Others: :2: Skinner Box; :6: Smilingsundae; :3: Loon River.

Race Three:

In this claiming route on the main, I’m opting for :1: Wealth To Me. In the irons is apprentice Cecily Evans who’s been moving her tack between Penn National and Delaware Park. Her mount here is the 7-year-old Tapit-bred gelding, Wealth To Me. The roan gelding ships in from Stanton, DE where a little over a month ago the gelding prevailed over a six-horse field in an optional claimer. The gelding’s trainer, Dane Kobiskie, is good with both shippers and second starts off a layoff. The router’s recent morning work-tab has been good. Others: :5: Moe Man; :6: Chairman Now; :2: Rooster Cruiser.

Race Four:

In this maiden-claiming New York state-bred turf route I’m picking :9: Rontos New York. The Forty Niner-bred gelding just missed in his last in this company a few weeks ao. Any slight improvement… Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises his ride for trainer Rudy Rodriguez. Rodriguez is very good with maiden-claimers. My only major concern is that there are no published works. Yet, the gelding has hit the board in three out of four turf tries. Others: :1: Downgoesfrazier; :7: Chasin Chama; :5: East Bay Lodge

Race Five:

In this maiden-claiming sprint I’m going with :1: Seeker. The Danzig-bred gelding is turning back over two panels after an abysmal finish at Belmont at the end of June; a race in which the gelding contended early but simply ran out of gas. Oh, this gelding has performed well at Saratoga where he’s had a first and a third in three tries. Again, the recently claimed gelding should appreciate the shorter distance. Jose Lezcano is in the irons for Bruce Brown. Others: :2: Buckeye Heart; :7: Attractive Ride; :5: Hillswick;

Race Six:

In this maiden-claiming sprint, I’m giving the edge to :6: Forest Boy. The Forestry-bred gelding had one try over the sloppy Saratoga surface about two weeks ago but could do no better than fourth. The gelding now gets a rider change to the red-hot Cornelio Velasquez; David Jacobson trains. Prior to coming East, the gelding had been doing reasonably well for trainer John Sadler out on the West Coast. Certainly not a lead-pipe cinch, but I believe this gelding has a shot here in what I believe to be a wide-open race. Others: :7: Perfect Danger; :5: Bird Now; :4: Gentrify.

Race Seven:

In this claiming turf sprint, I’m picking :2: Thisdanseistaken. This Stormy Atlantic-bred chestnut mare has been very competitive perambulating on the lush lawns of our Mid-Atlantic states over the past few months. The mare now brings her turf pedigree to upstate New York. The mare certainly fits well with these although she was beaten by weaker in her last. Rosie Napravnik rides for trainer Hugh McMahon. McMahon is very good with shippers and horses entered in claiming races. A sharp work about a week ago signals readiness. Others: :8: Persnickity; :4: Be My Love; :3: Chelsea Road.

Race Eight:

In the Tenski Stakes, an ungraded turf route to be contested over the distance of one mile on “The Spa’s” Inner Turf Course for a purse of 100k, my selection is: :3: Walk Close with Irad Ortiz, Jr. This Tapit-bred, Christophe Clement-trainee has won every one of her three lifetime starts. All three have been on the lawn and at this general distance. I must admit that her wins, at least two of them, have not been for the faint of heart - by a nostril in her last two. Her last win was in an ungraded stakes downstate at Belmont in late June. Trainer Christophe Clement does a very well with horses entered in these ungraded stakes; he also does well with winners of their last race. The filly had a recent solid work in which she "drilled" five panels in a tick under a minute. Others: :2: Sweet Acclaim; :9: Hillhouse High; :5: Zinzay.

Race Nine:

In the finale on the Monday card, a claiming turf sprint, I’m going with :5:
Spa City Treasure. This lightly-raced 5-year-old Shakespeare-bred gelding could do little against better at Belmont back nearly two months ago. The gelding now drops back into the “selling ranks”. Against this company, at this distance, this gelding has a chance. Trainer Rick Violette, Jr. does well with sprints and also horses who’ve been away from the track for awhile. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Others: :7: Eternal Bull; :8: Captain Keon; :6: Giant Slayer.