PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Tom Schell and Thank You Pace Advantage

Si2see
08-10-2014, 08:15 PM
For any of you who would care to read below this is our journey with Tom and Lisa. For anyone who doesn't want to read this much, why are you on a message board :cool:

May 12th 2006
We claimed a horse named Sea Chest. It was the first horse my partners Dan, Rick, and I had ever owned. I was 20 years old and they trusted me with 3 grand each, which I then sent to Tom. I had never met Tom or Lisa in person. I had honestly never heard of him or Calder other than seeing it on early in the day at our local otb. There was something about him that gave me two feelings...
Trustworthy and Worthy of a chance. I felt like he only needed a few star horses to put his stable on the map ( which at the time I thought that would be an easy task :lol: )

Jan 12th 2007
Silversandsoftime ( R.I.P big guy ) won our first race as owners. Tom and I agreed we needed to get him back on the turf. He wasn't given much of a chance that day and went off at 46-1. Dan and I were at our local otb in Richmond, VA. The place was packed, and when silver ran to the lead 5 wide all you could hear is us yelling, and all you could see is me leap into Dan's arms ( I was about 225 at the time and he lifted me like I was a cardboard box :D )
We cashed some serious wagers that day. $3 trifecta, $1 trifecta, Win wagers everywhere. We walked out with about 10k in our pockets that day. The best part about it all was Dan ran back to the window as they were loading in the gate and bet a $5 win ticket for the teller. When he finished first and we cashed our tickets she was crying her eyes out she was so happy for us, and the fact that she just won almost as much as she would make that week working part time. We then sold silver after a little bit of negotiating. Silver ended up losing an eye after an incident leaving the starting gate. He was given some time off, and the owner decided to sell him cheap after his first start back. Tom called Dan and I and pleaded with us we had to buy him back. We did and he won 2 more races for us.

11-29-2007
We claimed Judge's Case. Tom talked us into claiming him as a 10 year old at calder for 5k. After the race the trainer told us he never thought anyone would claim Judge, and that he had only ran him to become eligible to claim. We decided to run Judge for 16k his next start, where he closed on the outside and won by a neck. Later that winter he was claimed away at tampa.Dan and I did the only thing we could possibly do claim him back. We wanted to be the people who retired the old warrior. Judge is lucky enough to be living at the greatest thoroughbred retirement farm Old Friends in Kentucky. We go visit him every Keeneland meet.

2008. The economy crashes. All of our disposable income is basically non existent but we hang in there with a horse or two with Tom for a couple of years.

11-29-2011 ( I never realized until writing this exactly 4 years after after we claimed Judge )
I wanted to get back into the game, I pmed PICSIX because I had seen him post in a thread that he was interested in partnering in a few horses.
We have been through some horses in the last few years. We have had a blast doing it, and have built a bond and a great friendship.

Feb 10th 2012
Bossman Blue's was our first winner together first start off the claim. He was claimed away that day.

Today
We purchased Spectacular Me privately last year and since then we've had some ups and downs with her ( She enjoys running first or last !! Also some of you might remember how devastated we were when she was Disqualified at calder a few months ago )
Mike and I originally liked her for a turf horse, but for many months Calder would not run turf sprints. We finally got her on the turf at gulfstream last month where she ran second in what seemed to be a very classy race.
Today she won at gulfstreams co-feature allowance race and gave us our biggest purse win that I can remember.

None of this would have been possible without this website. Pace advantage introduced us many years ago, and without it this wouldn't be possible.

Finally I want to thank Tom and Lisa for giving me many thrills over the years. Even when times are tough, I can always look forward to one of our horses running, and after all these years, I feel like Tom Schell is on the map.

Jason

sammy the sage
08-10-2014, 08:21 PM
great story!

and yes...T.S seems to be a man of great integrity...and that's a hard find these days!

Grits
08-10-2014, 08:23 PM
What a fine story of some great experiences. There's joy in doing such things as those you love, and too, with others who share that love. Thanks for this glimpse of your journey. Congratulations to fine owners, a fine trainer, and a fine website host.

sammy the sage
08-10-2014, 08:28 PM
yes Grits..you be correct..fine website host as well...sure we've had a few dust-ups along the way...and will probably again ;) ...ps...that's pace and I; not you...or maybe we did...still all in all...it's good 90% of the time...and that's HIGH marks...believe me...being in retail...you'd love to have 100%....ain't happening...... :lol:

EMD4ME
08-10-2014, 08:30 PM
very happy for you. Many more memories to come!

thespaah
08-10-2014, 08:50 PM
For any of you who would care to read below this is our journey with Tom and Lisa. For anyone who doesn't want to read this much, why are you on a message board :cool:

May 12th 2006
We claimed a horse named Sea Chest. It was the first horse my partners Dan, Rick, and I had ever owned. I was 20 years old and they trusted me with 3 grand each, which I then sent to Tom. I had never met Tom or Lisa in person. I had honestly never heard of him or Calder other than seeing it on early in the day at our local otb. There was something about him that gave me two feelings...
Trustworthy and Worthy of a chance. I felt like he only needed a few star horses to put his stable on the map ( which at the time I thought that would be an easy task :lol: )

Jan 12th 2007
Silversandsoftime ( R.I.P big guy ) won our first race as owners. Tom and I agreed we needed to get him back on the turf. He wasn't given much of a chance that day and went off at 46-1. Dan and I were at our local otb in Richmond, VA. The place was packed, and when silver ran to the lead 5 wide all you could hear is us yelling, and all you could see is me leap into Dan's arms ( I was about 225 at the time and he lifted me like I was a cardboard box :D )
We cashed some serious wagers that day. $3 trifecta, $1 trifecta, Win wagers everywhere. We walked out with about 10k in our pockets that day. The best part about it all was Dan ran back to the window as they were loading in the gate and bet a $5 win ticket for the teller. When he finished first and we cashed our tickets she was crying her eyes out she was so happy for us, and the fact that she just won almost as much as she would make that week working part time. We then sold silver after a little bit of negotiating. Silver ended up losing an eye after an incident leaving the starting gate. He was given some time off, and the owner decided to sell him cheap after his first start back. Tom called Dan and I and pleaded with us we had to buy him back. We did and he won 2 more races for us.

11-29-2007
We claimed Judge's Case. Tom talked us into claiming him as a 10 year old at calder for 5k. After the race the trainer told us he never thought anyone would claim Judge, and that he had only ran him to become eligible to claim. We decided to run Judge for 16k his next start, where he closed on the outside and won by a neck. Later that winter he was claimed away at tampa.Dan and I did the only thing we could possibly do claim him back. We wanted to be the people who retired the old warrior. Judge is lucky enough to be living at the greatest thoroughbred retirement farm Old Friends in Kentucky. We go visit him every Keeneland meet.

2008. The economy crashes. All of our disposable income is basically non existent but we hang in there with a horse or two with Tom for a couple of years.

11-29-2011 ( I never realized until writing this exactly 4 years after after we claimed Judge )
I wanted to get back into the game, I pmed PICSIX because I had seen him post in a thread that he was interested in partnering in a few horses.
We have been through some horses in the last few years. We have had a blast doing it, and have built a bond and a great friendship.

Feb 10th 2012
Bossman Blue's was our first winner together first start off the claim. He was claimed away that day.

Today
We purchased Spectacular Me privately last year and since then we've had some ups and downs with her ( She enjoys running first or last !! Also some of you might remember how devastated we were when she was Disqualified at calder a few months ago )
Mike and I originally liked her for a turf horse, but for many months Calder would not run turf sprints. We finally got her on the turf at gulfstream last month where she ran second in what seemed to be a very classy race.
Today she won at gulfstreams co-feature allowance race and gave us our biggest purse win that I can remember.

None of this would have been possible without this website. Pace advantage introduced us many years ago, and without it this wouldn't be possible.

Finally I want to thank Tom and Lisa for giving me many thrills over the years. Even when times are tough, I can always look forward to one of our horses running, and after all these years, I feel like Tom Schell is on the map.

Jason
Great story. MY favorite part is where you claimed back Judge's Case just so you could retire the horse to Old Friends...Classy move. Just classy.

elhelmete
08-10-2014, 09:22 PM
A few dozen more owner-trainer combos like this and racing is saved.

thespaah
08-10-2014, 09:32 PM
A few dozen more owner-trainer combos like this and racing is saved.
:1: :ThmbUp: :jump:

Mineshaft
08-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Thats what im talking about. Great story........

nijinski
08-10-2014, 09:58 PM
What a fine tribute to the Schells and to Pace Advantage .
Many more years of happiness and success to Jason !

Thank You also for helping JC to have a good retirement !

HuggingTheRail
08-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Great post....continued success and enjoyment in the future!! :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
08-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Jason,

Great to read about your experiences in the game and with Tom and Lisa. And thanks for the kind words about this website. They mean more than you know! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Exotic1
08-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Jason,

Wow, Great post. Continued success and good luck. Wonderful acknowledgment to PA.

KidCapper
08-11-2014, 03:48 PM
That was a great read. Enjoyed it! :ThmbUp:

iceknight
08-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Lovely heartfelt story. Kudos to all and am very happy to have discovered this site a few years ago too!

onefast99
08-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Good to see you gave the retired horses a good home. Here's to a lot more success to a nice group!:ThmbUp:

ArlJim78
08-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Good story. Your enthusiasm sure comes through.
Makes me want to rush out and get involved as an owner.
It's got to be a thrill.

CryingForTheHorses
08-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Thank you Jason,Very nice of you to tell all about our journey,It hasnt been easy but the end result is you and Dan,Mike were all striving for the same thing,Honesty in a trainer,Horses that could hopefully win and having a lot of fun..This is really what the game is meant to be like.Codos on your filly winning her 6th race for you guys and yesterdays being a 39k pot.Not bad for a little filly that was raised in a stall with a goat and 2 chickens ,sold to a sucker for 4.5 k..Guess he is the sucker for giving up on her.We love her.Thank you PA for putting up all these years with my rants and for having the site that attracts so many good people.Her name is Spectacular Me guys and yes she is living up to her name.

PICSIX
08-12-2014, 01:07 PM

May 12th 2006

Jan 12th 2007

11-29-2007

Feb 10th 2012

Today

Jason

Great job Jason. I really can't add much to what you've stated. It's awesome to have met you, Tom and Lisa through this site...we've become good friends and I'm sure that will continue in the future.

It has been a great ride so far with ups and downs along the way. The ups are way out front, by the full length of the stretch! :ThmbUp:

I would like everyone to know that we also retired a great old warrior named Riversrunrylee to Old Friends as well and we look forward to seeing him and Judge when we visit Kentucky.

Mike