PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Sarurday, August 9

Teach
08-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Race One:

The opener is an allowance sprint that’s loaded with early-speed types. In this classic “tortoise or the hare,” I’m opting for the “tortoise,” :6: Quick as a Bunny. The Ian Wilkes-trainee is retreating from the rye-grass and is back running on the main. The A.P. Indy-bred filly is also turning back a couple panels. I believe, “the Frenchman,” Julien Leparoux (he’s admittedly having a less-than-stellar meet), will have a lot of tiring speed to take a shot at as the fillies reach that final panel. Ian Wilkes is very good with beaten favorites and also turf to dirt. Others: :5: Miss Electronica; :4: Wraith; :7: Silver Union.

Race Two:

In this seven-panel maiden-claimer I’m opting for :7: Madd Exchange. The Danzig-bred colt barely missed breaking his maiden in a six-panel sprint at Monmouth about a month ago. The added panel should help. The colt now drops in for a tag. Frankly, I’m a bit concerned about the pilot, John Velazquez. “Johnny V.” has tailed off some since his torrid beginning. He appears to have the horse; he just needs to provide the chauffeur service. Oh, the trainer is Todd Pletcher. Pletcher is excellent when going from maiden-special to maiden claiming. Also: :6: Eight Cents; :3: Nicholson; :4: Percy’s Ambition.

Race Three:

:5: Storm looks like the horse to beat here in this turf-route allowance. This Artie Schiller-bred gelding is a perfect three for three on the lawn. He has the support of the razor-sharp duo of Javier Castellano and trainer Todd Pletcher. Pletcher is excellent in conditioning horses that have won their last. Though not a lead-pipe cinch, this El Prado-bred should prevail here. Others: :4: March Reward; :1: Lurego; :10: Make a Decision.

Race Four:

In this maiden-special sprint, I’m going with the outside horse, a 2-year-old Maria’s Mon-bred colt, :8: Dada Maino. There’s that dynamic duo again: Javier Castellano and Todd Pletcher. Trainer Pletcher is excellent with maiden-specials. I also like the recent “bullet” work. The colt should have a clear shot from his outside post. Others: :3: Requite; :4: Da Jenius; :6: Call Daddy.

Race Five:

In this 7-furlong claimer I’m going with :2: Quiet Power. This Fappiano-bred gelding is trained by “Chip” Dutrow, the son of the late trainer, Richard E. Dutrow, Sr. The Danzig-bred gelding is turning back more than a panel off his last start, a frankly abysmal effort in which the gelding finished a Manhattan city-block behind the winner. However, a new day. Fast-forward two months. The gelding’s chances improve in this company. Can “Dick” Sr.’s son saddle the winner? As the song said “…it’s been a long, long, time” (about a year) between wins. Others: :4: Dr Disco; :7: Pretension; :3: Star of New York.

Race Six:

In this maiden-special turf route my pick is the :8: Zippity City. I’m most impressed with this 2 year-olds morning works: July 31st at Belmont, four panels in 47:3 handily from the gate and July 13 at Belmont, four panels again in :47.3 breezing from the gate. Both were “bullets”. Yes, jockey Joe Rocco, Jr’s riding record is far from stellar, but trainer George Weaver’s having a solid meet. The colt does have decent turf pedigree. In any event, the colt’s worth a look, both on the tote and on the track. Others: :7: Designed for War; :3: Dubai Sky; :5: Fowler Avenue.

Race Seven:

In this 7 furlongs allowance, non-winners of two, I’m going with a longshot try: :5: Native Hero. This 3-year-old Fusaichi Pegasus-bred gelding was coming menacingly five wide into the lane; the gelding simply ran out of real estate and finished second a length and a-half behind the winner. Oh, two recent “bullet” works impress me. So too do the training skills of Bob Barbara (he doesn’t saddle many, but he has the knack of conditioning a winner). Add to that the fact that “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario, is in the irons. Rosario has been steadily picking up the pace as we move into the midway point of the meet. Also: :4: Groupthink; :1: Sioux; :6: Station Chief.

Race Eight:

In this turf allowance route for state-breds I’m going with :6: Wake Up In Malibu. This Malibu Moon-bred gelding is stretching out a couple panels on the lawn; that should be to his liking. It’s Joe Rocco, Jr. for George Weaver. This gelding was a solid second at six panels in his last about a month ago. Any slight improvement… Oh, I’m particularly impressed with the gelding’s morning work-tab: two back-to-back “bullets,” one on the dirt, one on the lawn. Others: :2: Analysis; :10: Giant Jo; :4: Archer Hill.

Race Nine:

In this allowance turf sprint, my choice is :1: Richies Sweetheart. The In Excess-bred filly should be out and going from her hedge position and saying: "catch me if you can". The filly did just that at her most recent start in Chicago-land about a month ago. The pilot is the meet’s leading rider: Javier Castellano. The trainer is Larry Revelli. Rivelli campaigns around the US and Canada, but particularly in the Midwest. He’s very good with shippers and winners of their last race. Others: :2: Kiss Me Lola; :5: Jitney; :7: Runway Ready.

Race Ten:

The Grade II FourStarDave at a mile on the turf. My pick is :2: Seek Again. The Speightstown-bred colt was third to Real Solution in the Grade I Manhattan about a month ago at Belmont. Prior to that the colt was second to Wise Dan in the Grade I Turf Classic at CD in early May. The colt bobbled at the start in that one but still only missed by a head to the aforementioned winner. The chestnut colt has hit the tote in seven out of eight lifetime tries on the turf. Joel Rosario rides for the Hall of Fame trainer, Bill Mott. Others: :1: Silver Max; :3: Jack Milton; :6: Grand Arch.

Race Eleven:

In the finale, a maiden-special turf route, I’m shooting for the upset. I’m looking for telephone numbers, exponentially. I want the only live ticket! Yes, I’m taking a shot with a roan filly that just might, on her best effort, get all the enchiladas. I want the dinero, Euros, rupees, zlotys. My pick is - tympani - :9: Pure of Spirit. Yes, I know. A jockey who isn’t exactly setting the world on fire.; However, I like the breeding. I particularly like Purim-bred horses. Dynaformer’s no slouch, either. Yes, admittedly, this is a gambler’s throw. Hey, “you pay your nickel, you take your chance.” Barclay Tagg owns and trains this first-time starter. Now for the more logical: :3: Coronette; :6: Forensic; :4: Siren’s Assault

Redboard
08-09-2014, 04:46 PM
$0.50 Pick 4
R8: 4,6
R9: 1,10
R10: 1,2,3
R11: 6,9
--------------
$12