PDA

View Full Version : POV: 15 to Life - Kenneth's Story

PhantomOnTour
08-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Aired Tues night on PBS about a young man in Florida who committed 4 armed robberies at age 14 and was sentenced to 4 consecutive life terms.

The US Supreme Court has since ruled that kids are different and must be given a second chance....so what do you think is a fair sentence for Kenneth?
At the time of filming he had served 11yrs, and was in the process of being re-sentenced to something less than life.

I will spare you the direct and indirect circumstances, and just say that he admitted to his role in the robberies and takes full responsibility.

What would you give him?
free him now?
10yrs?-20?-30?-40?

johnhannibalsmith
08-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Aired Tues night on PBS about a young man in Florida who committed 4 armed robberies at age 14 and was sentenced to 4 consecutive life terms.

The US Supreme Court has since ruled that kids are different and must be given a second chance....so what do you think is a fair sentence for Kenneth?
At the time of filming he had served 11yrs, and was in the process of being re-sentenced to something less than life.

I will spare you the direct and indirect circumstances, and just say that he admitted to his role in the robberies and takes full responsibility.

What would you give him?
free him now?
10yrs?-20?-30?-40?

I'd like to know more about Kenneth before making a decision like that.

His background, family, mental acuity, etc.

But off the bat I don't like the sound of someone only a year into his teen years summarily determined to be a lost cause.

PhantomOnTour
08-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Okay, here's some info about Kenneth (and it's nothing unique):

>poor kid, very poor
>mom a drug addict who was gone for long amounts of time
>no father in his life
>sister was already a mother at age 15 and Kenneth often watched the child while she worked (and mom was absent)
>committed all the crimes with a 24yr old
>accomplice had a gun - Kenneth did not
>his main role was recon, lookout, money grabber (but he did rough up some female victims)

He has been a model prisoner (whatever that is) for 11yrs and gotten his GED.

Tom
08-07-2014, 10:56 PM
40 years sounds good.
You list a lot of things that really have nothing to do with the fact that he pointed a gun at four different people.

What list can you make about them?

He has been a model prisoner - leave it that way.
He gave his rights to freedom the first time he pointed a gun.
Thee more times, sucks to be him.

johnhannibalsmith
08-07-2014, 11:25 PM
You list a lot of things that really have nothing to do with the fact that he pointed a gun at four different people...

Well, except that one of those things that he listed explicitly stated that he was NOT armed.

I don't like zero tolerance policies, mandatory sentencing, dopey three strikes laws, or anything that removes discretion and common sense from people when the goal is justice.

In this case, if the facts as presented are accurate, then I'd vote for release almost as soon as possible.

In the context of the environment that I grew up, I did some of the stupidest things consistent with dumb kids. In his environment, he did the same. The things that I did then, I did because I was a dumb kid that simply did not appreciate the full effect of actions. I'm surely glad that my stupidity was confined to a life that did have parents and stability and consequences and help and guidance and all the things that help a young person learn from mistakes.

From the sounds of it, he's the 1% that may have actually been rehabilitated - probably in part because of the fact that he was simply immature and grew up and realized he was just a dumb kid.

He's been behind bars for years and years, he lost his childhood, but probably spared his future. He sounds like he has tried to redeem himself.

Good luck Kenneth, spread the word on the outside to kids that are just like you were and headed down the path.

TJDave
08-08-2014, 12:21 AM
I watched the program. I won't give it away but I can't say I disagree with the resentencing.

PhantomOnTour
08-08-2014, 12:31 AM
I watched the program. I won't give it away but I can't say I disagree with the resentencing.
I think the Judge handed down a just sentence, and I can't disagree with his decision either.

Tom
08-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Well, except that one of those things that he listed explicitly stated that he was NOT armed.

Hitler didn't lite the ovens either.
He and his accomplish are interchangeable.
Leaving him in prison spreads a better word - you play, you pay.

Robert Fischer
08-08-2014, 01:01 AM

What would you give him?
free him now?
10yrs?-20?-30?-40?
I don't know.

He's an unfortunate victim of his adverse environment. He would have had to be an incredible, incredible individual to have left home at age 12-14 or whenever he began to be heavily brought into that lifestyle by his family.

I just don't realistically see a way for him to go back into society after living that lifestyle for a few years, and then being incarcerated for another 15? years.

I don't have a good answer for this question.

nijinski
08-08-2014, 01:17 AM
I saw this on PBS and had mixed feelings . It's a sad life from beginning
to now .
The problem I see is coming out to no employment so he faces a tough
road ahead .
How do you give a guy like this a supervised structured life back on the
streets .
I almost want to see it happen but is our system prepared to do right by
him and the public ?
Tough call .

Dahoss2002
08-08-2014, 02:23 AM

All things considered, hard but fair. Like he said himself, at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel now.

Tom
08-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Oh come on.....millions of people come from the same environment and do NOT go robbing people at gunpoint.

This guy is not worth saving - worry about the 99% who did not make the choice he made.

Using a gun in a crime one time should be mandatory life.

PhantomOnTour
08-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Kenneth Young was re-sentenced to four concurrent 30yr terms, which means he will be out around 2030.

Sounds about right to me - he and his accomplice terrorized some young ladies during these crimes and that cannot be excused.

thaskalos
08-08-2014, 05:27 PM
How old is Kenneth now?

PhantomOnTour
08-08-2014, 06:45 PM
How old is Kenneth now?
He was approx. 26yrs old when this was filmed, so I would guess him to be 27-28 now.

cj's dad
08-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Who is going to hire this person? What does he do when he is released into society and has zero income? Does he regress back to his previous ways to have $$$ in his pockets? How many more have to have a gun pointed at them by an accomplice of his? Really, what is the upside to releasing him back into society ?

I'm open to others thoughts.

PhantomOnTour
08-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Who is going to hire this person? What does he do when he is released into society and has zero income? Does he regress back to his previous ways to have $$$ in his pockets? How many more have to have a gun pointed at them by an accomplice of his? Really, what is the upside to releasing him back into society ?

If he were an adult when he committed these crimes, I would say "See ya pal"...but he was 14yrs old.

I just cannot condone condemning a 14yr old to life in prison...NO WAY

You cannot keep a man incarcerated for life because you deem him unemployable.

Tom
08-08-2014, 11:04 PM
There is no upside, other than we stop paying for him.
That is why prisoners should be forced to labor to pay for their room and board.
No work, no eat.Get out of line, no food.
Don't shape up, sleep on the floor.

PhantomOnTour
08-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Upside?

C'mon y'all...it's not about upside.
It's about a guy who will serve his time and then, BY LAW, be released into society.

What about his rights?
"Sorry sir - we know you served your time, but we see no upside to releasing you. So back to your cell forever!"

Tom
08-09-2014, 09:45 AM
What about his rights?

He has none.
He is a 4 time offender - why should we care about him?
He has already shown he doesn't care about us.

You know, THIS is why we have gun problems - you guys are too squeemish to enforce laws.

If he gets out and commits another gun crime, will you not lead the line shouting for more gun control? No need to answer, just think about it.

PhantomOnTour
08-09-2014, 09:51 AM
He has none.
He is a 4 time offender - why should we care about him?
He has already shown he doesn't care about us.

You know, THIS is why we have gun problems - you guys are too squeemish to enforce laws.

If he gets out and commits another gun crime, will you not lead the line shouting for more gun control? No need to answer, just think about it.
What part of "Kenneth didn't have a gun" are you failing to understand?

And he most definitely has rights, esp after his time has been served.

You really want to send a 14yrold up the river forever?

You are an angry and bitter old man, Tom....all this internet bitching you do is surely making a difference in the world.

Tom
08-09-2014, 09:55 AM

What part of is accomplice did, 4 times escaped you?

14 years old is grown up for many these days. Gangs are filled with people younger that that. I have no problem weeding out the bad apples.
Suppose one of those 4 times, a person was shot and killed?

You are an angry and bitter old man, Tom....all this internet bitching you do is surely making a difference in the world.

I hope so. A lot of damage done by the libs needs to be undone.
Liberalism will destroy us all.

PhantomOnTour
08-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Good luck Tom - don't die angry & bitter

Ignore

jballscalls
08-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I hope so. A lot of damage done by the libs needs to be undone.
Liberalism will destroy us all.

You've made a difference to me Tom. You've made me want to be more liberal.

johnhannibalsmith
08-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Unfortunately, that in a nutshell is the state of politics and extent of many people's attachment to an ideology.

kingfin66
08-09-2014, 01:34 PM

The are very legitimate and important questions that you ask. They apply to all offenders. Recidivism rates are, and have always been very high, with much of the reason being the inability to adjust back into society. Lack of education, job skills, employment and housing have a large impact on people re-offending and being sent back to prison. This is a societal issue, not just liberal or conservative.

The judicial system has always recognized this as a problem, but is just now finally getting around to doing something about it. Many non-profits are devoting some of their resources and partnering with government agencies to work with offenders to integrate back into society. It is going to take a lot of work and commitment, but it is an important issue. Helping offenders adjust back into society is actually a form of crime prevention and it is in the best interest of law enforcement and the taxpayers.

There are actually many employers who are "Felony Friendly" and are willing to offer second chances to offenders. It is easy to lock people up and accountability needs to remain a large part of the judicial system. It is also important; however, to recognize that once the sentence is complete, the offenders will be back out. Having them working toward gaining skills to become productive members of society is much better, and much less costly, than locking them up.

Tom
08-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Go rob your neighbor....you will feel better.

kingfin66
08-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Petty bickering aside, this thread does identify issues that have a potential impact on everybody regardless of their political views. It is not just a liberal or conservative issue. Prisons exist for a reason and almost all of the people who live in them deserve to be there, some for a very long time. Some forever.

For those who are held accountable and now it is time to go home, re-entry into society is very important. We either try to prevent recidivism, or we:

- hire more and more police
- build more prisons
- expand the court system
- be prepared to pay for all of the above

jballscalls
08-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Go rob your neighbor....you will feel better.

my neighbors don't have anything to steal. We're all poor liberals who live off the government and sit at home all day watching TV and trolling websites.

Tom
08-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Petty bickering aside, this thread does identify issues that have a potential impact on everybody regardless of their political views. It is not just a liberal or conservative issue. Prisons exist for a reason and almost all of the people who live in them deserve to be there, some for a very long time. Some forever.

For those who are held accountable and now it is time to go home, re-entry into society is very important. We either try to prevent recidivism, or we:

- hire more and more police
- build more prisons
- expand the court system
- be prepared to pay for all of the above

Nothing in the prison system is designed to rehabilitate anyone.
It is more of a college for petty crooks to come out professional criminals.

That has to change.

Try this -

You go into prison naked and get an empty cell.
You have the option to buy clothes, a bed, meal.....but you get nothing free.
Ever.

Now, you must decide, do you want pants, dinner, or a cot?

Also, there is rent on your cell, which you must re-pay 100% before you ever get out.

Over your sentence, you learn to make decisions is, earn credits, do budgets, all the things we on the outside have to do.

Once you have EARNED the right come out, you are trained in living civilized.

Tom
08-09-2014, 04:52 PM
my neighbors don't have anything to steal. We're all poor liberals who live off the government and sit at home all day watching TV and trolling websites.

I suspected that, but thanks for clarifying. :ThmbUp:

jballscalls
08-09-2014, 06:36 PM
I suspected that, but thanks for clarifying. :ThmbUp:

Btw, I'm totally using my neighbors WI-FI right now to type this! I wish that SOB would upgrade though, signal is spotty

Tom
08-09-2014, 06:59 PM
There ya go!
See if you can get his Visa info and buy a signal booster on line! :lol:

nijinski
08-09-2014, 07:21 PM

And he most definitely has rights, esp after his time has been served.

He appears to be mentally stable and shows signs of remorse so I think with
with guidelines in place he should e given a chance . I've heard of worse
offenders go free . I never want to see a repeat child molester let loose .
They cannot control their impulses and why these violent people get a pass.
I don't understand that .