PDA

View Full Version : Sham Race Meet in Summerfield, FL

Ocala Mike
08-05-2014, 02:59 PM
This is the state of pari-mutuel licensing and regulation in the Sunshine State. Somebody in Tallahassee ok'ed this operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxTH7WW4MRk&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=OXFORD+DOWNS+UPDATE&utm_campaign=SHAM+OXFORD1&utm_medium=email

onefast99
08-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Everyone was very uptight as if they were doing something wrong or nothing at all.

VeryOldMan
08-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the link. Depressing, to say the least.

I suspect there are others on the board who see "Sham" and also immediately think of Secretariat's rival who had the misfortune of being in Secretariat's cohort . . . .

Back to the video - this industry has a knack for self-inflicted wounds, which simply compound the organic decline.

rastajenk
08-05-2014, 05:14 PM
"This industry?"

VeryOldMan
08-05-2014, 05:21 PM
"This industry?"

I was imprecise. Horse racing - states, track owners, breeders, horse owners, trainers. Not those of us who bet on the races - we are an afterthought in the current structure even though our $$ is ultimately what will make this sport live or die. Slot machine money isn't going to last forever. But we are the sheep to be sheared until proven otherwise.

OntheRail
08-05-2014, 08:55 PM
I bet their hoped fer "Poker Room" will have wheels.... :lol: :lol:

onefast99
08-05-2014, 09:32 PM
I was imprecise. Horse racing - states, track owners, breeders, horse owners, trainers. Not those of us who bet on the races - we are an afterthought in the current structure even though our $$ is ultimately what will make this sport live or die. Slot machine money isn't going to last forever. But we are the sheep to be sheared until proven otherwise.
Everyones money including the owners, trainers, breeders and bettors as well as the monies the states that support racing put towards the game make it work.

rastajenk
08-06-2014, 06:33 AM
I don't agree with much of this, but even if I did, what's that got to do with this lame work-around someone came up with to get a permit for expanded gaming? Not much that I can see.

That "track" did have a low take-out. :ThmbUp: :)

onefast99
08-06-2014, 10:00 AM
I don't agree with much of this, but even if I did, what's that got to do with this lame work-around someone came up with to get a permit for expanded gaming? Not much that I can see.

That "track" did have a low take-out. :ThmbUp: :)
Was that cash and bet also the snack shack?