PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Monday, August 4

Teach
08-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Race One:

Let's start with an off-the wall pick. I'm going with - hold your breathe: :5: Uncle Hugo. Before you say: "Estas tan loco!" This Mike Gorham trainee (he trained Mandy's Gold to a Grade I Ruffian win about a dozen years ago) stands as good a chance as any. Gorham, a Canton, MA native, learned under one of this best New England trainers, "The King of the Fairs," the late Bruce Smith. Anyway, in a race that begs for a horse that can get the mile and one-eighth distance, this 3-year-old gelding has as a good a chance as any. Also: :7: , :1: , :2:

Race Two:

In this state-bred claiming sprint my choice is :6: Greg's Intuition. The Freud-bred gelding is dropping in for a tag and is turning back a touch. This appears to be this gelding's best chance to get off the shneid. He had a recent solid morning work. Jose Lezcano for trainer Dave Cannizzo.
Also: :7: , :5: , :9:

Race Three:

My pick here is :7: Mark My Way. The Linda Rice trainee won the 7 furlong version of this race downstate on June 22. The Unbridle's Song-bred gelding looks like the horse to beat based on his past races. He's hit the tote in every lawn try. Cornelio Velasquez is in the irons. Also: :5: , :4: , :6:

Race Four:

In this maiden-special turf route my pick is: :8: Spun Hard. Can Cornelio Velasquez go back to back? This Danzig-bred gelding stretches out a tad off a race that he was closing after being bumped in the early stages. A cleaner trip. Blinkers on. Also: :4: , :5: , :9:

Race Five:

A claiming sprint. My pick is :5: Doubledown Again. This Rockport Harbor-bred gelding has been knocking on the door. Could today be the day? Bruce Levine trains; Jose Lezcano in the irons. Also" :1: , :4: , :7:

Race Six:

Another ungraded NY state-bred turf route. My choice is :6: Old Harbor. He won the 7-furlong version downstate with ease. Can repeat here with the additional panel. Also: :10: , :8: , :5:

Race Seven:

A claiming turf sprint. Ny choice :9: Thundering Gale. Should benefit from outside post. Just missed last time. Jose Ortiz for Chad Brown.
Also: :7: , :3: , :5:

Race Eight:

My pick here is: :5: Double the Energy. It's another Cornelio Velasquez-Linda Rice combo. Trainer Rice is very good with winners of their last race. Has been off for a while but decent morning works. Also: :1: , :2: , :10:

Race Nine:

In the finale, a claiming sprint, my pick is :9: Reserved Quality. This Elusive Quality-bred horse has faced better. This drop-down may be just what it takes. His connections haven't done much during the meet, but that doesn't mean they can't win here. Also: :8: , :5: , :3: