PDA

View Full Version : Tiger withdraws

Beachbabe
08-03-2014, 01:43 PM
After being all over the course today, Tiger Woods has withdrawn from the Bridgestone Inv due to back pain.

Greyfox
08-03-2014, 02:32 PM
A bad back will make anyone feel old fast, aside from buggering up a golf game.

As far as I'm concerned, there are lots of questions surrounding why he would try to come back so soon and why he would go at it so hard?

In this instance, he claims the back started going into spasm after a long step back into a bunker after a shot on the second hole.
Then his shots over the next several holes became more errant.

But if we put today's unfortunate setback aside, it was clear to me up until that point of injury that Tiger was not playing anywhere near his old standards anyways.

Furthermore, I thought that all of the discussion by Tom Watson saying that he was still considering Tiger for the Ryder Cup was very disappointing.
Tiger has done nothing this year to be on the Ryder Cup.
If Watson had put him on, several other more worthy players would have been very annoyed.

If he tries to play in the PGA this week, he's a fool.
Even if the back is no longer sore, he won't win anyways.

JustRalph
08-03-2014, 07:20 PM
I would like to welcome Tiger to the back spasm club. Been a member since 2001.

Next endorsement deal...........? Ibuprofen

Marshall Bennett
08-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Furthermore, I thought that all of the discussion by Tom Watson saying that he was still considering Tiger for the Ryder Cup was very disappointing.

Perhaps it's a ratings strategy for television. :D

Greyfox
08-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Perhaps it's a ratings strategy for television. :D

Bingo. :ThmbUp:
That's exactly what it was. TV ratings have become more important than National Pride. I wonder why?

MutuelClerk
08-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Damn, will they even hold the Ryder Cup now?

cj's dad
08-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Lack of PED's are a bitch !!

MutuelClerk
08-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Tiger will tell NBC he can play in the Ryder Cup before he tells Tom Watson. The issue will be settled then.

DJofSD
08-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Joe LaCava has been seen walking the course at Valhalla.

As I understood it, Tiger's affliction was strictly a spasm, and, if that is correct and true, he could very well still show up.

AndyC
08-04-2014, 10:42 AM
A bad back will make anyone feel old fast, aside from buggering up a golf game.

As far as I'm concerned, there are lots of questions surrounding why he would try to come back so soon and why he would go at it so hard?

In this instance, he claims the back started going into spasm after a long step back into a bunker after a shot on the second hole.
Then his shots over the next several holes became more errant.

But if we put today's unfortunate setback aside, it was clear to me up until that point of injury that Tiger was not playing anywhere near his old standards anyways.

If Watson had put him on, several other more worthy players would have been very annoyed.

If he tries to play in the PGA this week, he's a fool.
Even if the back is no longer sore, he won't win anyways.

Since the last Ryder Cup which US player has the most PGA wins?

rastajenk
08-04-2014, 11:26 AM
The guy with the bad back, I'm sure.

Greyfox
08-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Since the last Ryder Cup which US player has the most PGA wins?

The guy who stands 69 th this year. (Somehow that number suits him.:lol: )

AndyC
08-04-2014, 12:34 PM
The guy who stands 69 th this year. (Somehow that number suits him.:lol: )

Clearly Tiger should not be picked if he isn't healthy enough to play at a top level. But saying the most successful player of the last 2 years is not "worthy" of a selection is ridiculous. If Tiger plays and contends this week he should definitely be on the team.

DJofSD
08-04-2014, 12:42 PM

If there's one thing that Hank Haney got right in his book "The Big Miss" it was capturing the level of commitment and obsession Tiger has when it comes to pursuing goals.

You're asking for a rational explanation and Tiger's behavior can not be completely explained on a rational level. Why did he cheat on his wife? Why did he drop his long time caddy?

Greyfox
08-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Clearly Tiger should not be picked if he isn't healthy enough to play at a top level. But saying the most successful player of the last 2 years is not "worthy" of a selection is ridiculous. If Tiger plays and contends this week he should definitely be on the team.

The Ryder Cup is played every two years.
Selection should be based on how a player is performing this year.
After all the matches are played in the here and now, not the there and then.
I wouldn't have him on the team from what he's done to date.

AndyC
08-04-2014, 01:31 PM
The Ryder Cup is played every two years.
After all the matches are played in the here and now, not the there and then.
I wouldn't have him on the team from what he's done to date.

So what represents the "here and now"? Is it 2 weeks? 1 month ? 3 months? Anyone who has played competitive golf knows that you can find and lose your game very quickly.

dartman51
08-04-2014, 01:41 PM

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

rastajenk
08-04-2014, 02:57 PM
It is weighted that way. And none of Woods' five wins (all in 2013) since the last Ryder Cup are point-getters, so that's why he's way down in the standings.

I feel strongly both ways. :cool: It seems like he's played his way off the team. Yet, in match play, I'd think there's no better teammate to have than him. As long as he's loose enough. That's why there are Captain's picks in the first place, to account for special circumstances.

Greyfox
08-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Yet, in match play, I'd think there's no better teammate to have than him..

Tiger has lost more matches than any other player in Ryder Cup history.

rastajenk
08-04-2014, 03:28 PM
I think that would be Mickelson, by one over Woods and Furyk. And most of those were foursomes and four-balls.

But even that is part of the appeal of the Ryder Cup. Nobody rolls over for anyone else. There are lots of big names on the all-time losers list. Nicklaus lost four singles matches, good for second place behind Mickelson's five (on the American side; some poor bloke named Christy O'Connor apparently went 4-10 in his RC singles matches).

Greyfox
08-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Your stats differ from mine.

Most Matches Lost
Tiger Woods 17
Phil Mickelson 16

Mickelson has competed in more Ryder Cups than Tiger.

AndyC
08-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Tiger has lost more matches than any other player in Ryder Cup history.

Tiger is arguably the greatest singles match play player in history. Starting with his unprecedented run in amateur events winning 3 USGA Junior championships followed up by 3 USGA Amateur championships. His professional singles match play record including Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup and WGC is a mere 45-15-2.

His overall team record is 26-30-2.

rastajenk
08-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Here (http://golf.about.com/od/rydercup/a/rydercuprecords.htm) is what I was looking at. I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

Greyfox
08-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Here (http://golf.about.com/od/rydercup/a/rydercuprecords.htm) is what I was looking at. I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

My data comes from http://www.rydercup.com/usa/history/2014-ryder-cup-team-records

Greyfox
08-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Tiger is arguably the greatest singles match play player in history. Starting with his unprecedented run in amateur events winning 3 USGA Junior championships followed up by 3 USGA Amateur championships. His professional singles match play record including Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup and WGC is a mere 45-15-2.

His overall team record is 26-30-2.

His individual play in Ryder Cups is 4-1-1.

However, his team play record is weaker.

In fourball and foursomes his record is 9-13-1.

http://www.rydercup.com/usa/players/team-usa-profile-tiger-woods

DJofSD
08-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Tiger's not going to be able to challenge Rory. Hell, no one will be able to challenge Rory if he repeats his performance as of late, especially yesterdays.

Tiger's best chance to contribute to a victory for the USA would be as a motivator.

I just can not envision captain Watson being able to pick Tiger as a player and send him out knowing full well one bad swing, one bad lie, and Tiger could be done for the match.

rastajenk
08-04-2014, 04:03 PM
My data comes from http://www.rydercup.com/usa/history/2014-ryder-cup-team-records

I was looking for something like that; Bing pointed me in another direction.

Anyway, if I were Tom Watson, I'd do this: Meet Woods at the tee of the 18th at Augusta, or the tee box of any of those skinny fairways they just played at Firestone. Familiar grounds for Tiger. Hand him a small bucket of balls. Go out and drive around in a driving-range ball scooper about 300 yards out and tell Tiger to hit him. If he gets close on about 75% of them, he's on the team. Less than that, sorry, maybe next time.

Greyfox
08-04-2014, 04:09 PM

Anyway, if I were Tom Watson, I'd do this: Meet Woods at the tee of the 18th at Augusta, or the tee box of any of those skinny fairways they just played at Firestone. Familiar grounds for Tiger. Hand him a small bucket of balls. Go out and drive around in a driving-range ball scooper about 300 yards out and tell Tiger to hit him. If he gets close on about 75% of them, he's on the team. Less than that, sorry, maybe next time.

I'm glad the U.S. Olympic Teams don't have you as an advisor. :D

AndyC
08-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Your stats differ from mine.

Most Matches Lost
Tiger Woods 17
Phil Mickelson 16

Mickelson has competed in more Ryder Cups than Tiger.

The data here (http://www.rydercup.com/usa/history/2014-ryder-cup-player-records) gives different info.

Looking at Mickelson's record it doesn't even add up correctly so I wouldn't be making any large bets based on what Rydercup.com says.

DJofSD
08-04-2014, 04:17 PM

"I don't play the role of range rat often but when I do, I use Nike."

Suggested tag line for the commercial that rastajenk just came up with. It would be the follow up commercial from a couple of years back when Rory had just switched to Nike and there was the "hey, Tiger, are you looking" ad.

P.S. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k_J-vVinbVo

DJofSD
08-05-2014, 09:00 AM
GC is teasing a status report about Tiger.

We'll see.

reckless
08-05-2014, 01:48 PM

When he was the greatest golfer in the history of the game, I don't ever recall Woods having any sort of back problems... at any time, win or lose.

But now that the newer and younger (and generally much better) crop of players have joined the circuit, the now toothless Tiger has perfected the golf equivalent of a loser's limp: an aching back.

DJofSD
08-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Tiger made a swing change to protect what was left of his left knee. I believe the new swing is responsible for aggravating problems elsewhere including his back.

Whether or not the current problem with the back is strictly a spasm is not clear to me. If it is then it has nothing to do with anything PED-wise or swing-wise -- spasms happen.

cj's dad
08-05-2014, 02:44 PM
I certainly have no proof that he ever used PED's. I do believe however that back in the late 90's early 2000's he looked heavier and more muscular than he does now. Perhaps the scrutiny that began to fall on PED's in the mid 2000's caused him to stop using (if he was) which led to the weight/strength loss and the onset of several injuries. Just an opinion.

Clearly, he is not the same player that he once was !

rastajenk
08-05-2014, 05:23 PM
I don't see how PED's could ever help one's putting...and that's where he separated himself from the rest of them in his prime. He used to be automatic inside 10 feet; now, not so much.

PhantomOnTour
08-05-2014, 05:26 PM
I certainly have no proof that he ever used PED's. I do believe however that back in the late 90's early 2000's he looked heavier and more muscular than he does now. Perhaps the scrutiny that began to fall on PED's in the mid 2000's caused him to stop using (if he was) which led to the weight/strength loss and the onset of several injuries. Just an opinion.

Clearly, he is not the same player that he once was !
I have felt this way about Tiger for a long time. He really muscled up during those years and now his body is paying the price...his career is following the steroid-stardom-injury curve perfectly.

My real question is - who really gives a damn if he plays in the PGA Champ this weekend? He ain't winning or even getting close.

Dude is D-O-N-E

cj's dad
08-05-2014, 05:39 PM
I have felt this way about Tiger for a long time. He really muscled up during those years and now his body is paying the price...his career is following the steroid-stardom-injury curve perfectly.

My real question is - who really gives a damn if he plays in the PGA Champ this weekend? He ain't winning or even getting close.

Dude is D-O-N-E

One of several things that has always irritated me about TW has been his demeanor on the course. Granted, over the years I have seem others show their displeasure but not to the degree that TW has shown. He curses (I have seen his lips form the F bomb),. he tosses clubs etc. He is a classless act IMO.

letswastemoney
08-05-2014, 10:19 PM

Dude is D-O-N-EWin or lose, Tiger Woods is a legendary golfer.

I'd watch Jack Nicklaus play golf before I watch Martin Kaymer. The same goes for Tiger.

horses4courses
08-05-2014, 10:22 PM
He is a classless act IMO.

That's pretty rich considering your signature

mountainman
08-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Nick Faldo subtly changed his tune as the day wore on, but at first clearly seemed skeptical that Tiger was indeed hurting.

Sir Nick's deep and abiding love of all things euro-and thinly veiled anti-Americanism-makes me LONG for Johnny Miller.

cj's dad
08-05-2014, 11:05 PM
That's pretty rich considering your signature

My signature is a line from Rodney Dangerfield ! Grow up !

DJofSD
08-06-2014, 10:18 AM
... could literally come down to the very last second.

Tiger was one of a small handful of players asking for an extension to register. The new due date/time is Thursday morning of the tournament, at 8:35 A.M.

More: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/woods-granted-extension-register-pga/?cid=Email_WednesdayNL_20140806

Maybe there'll be a Tiger Twitter Trending spike tomorrow.

DJofSD
08-06-2014, 12:10 PM
TW on site and to meet Sean on the 1st tee at 2 P.M. -- PGA.com

PhantomOnTour
08-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Oh gee
Oh dear
Oh boy - what's he gonna do???

If he doesn't enter - he won't win
If he does enter - he won't win

Greyfox
08-06-2014, 12:21 PM

If he didn't take PEDs, he certainly visited doctors who specialized in them.

A Golf Digest report (http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/07/new-book-says-tiger-woods-paid.html) cites an excerpt from a recently-released book that claims Woods paid Galea $76,012 to make 14 visits to his home between January and August 2009. The book, entitled "Blood Sport: Alex Rodriguez, Biogenesis and the Quest to End Baseball's Steroid Era" focuses on Rodriguez, the former superstar who had ties to Galea and who was suspended by Major League Baseball in 2013 for his role in a scandal surrounding performance-enhancing drugs.

The report also indicates that Woods paid $118,979 for 49 visits between September 2008 and October 2009 from Dr. Mark Lindsay, an associate of Galea's.

Woods has previously acknowledged receiving treatment from Galea, explaining in 2010 (http://www.golfchannel.com/news/mercer-baggs/woods-answers-galea-questions/) that the Canadian doctor visited him at his Florida (http://www.golfchannel.com/topics/travel/florida.htm) home following ACL surgery in 2008, but maintained that he did not receive performance-enhancing drugs. In 2011, an attorney for Galea (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/tiger-woods-received-performance-enhancing-drugs-dr-anthony-galea-attorney-article-1.159120) reiterated that Woods did not receive any illegal drugs while he was a patient of Galea's.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/report-woods-paid-galea-76k-14-visits/

rastajenk
08-06-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't see how PED's could ever help one's putting...and that's where he separated himself from the rest of them in his prime. He used to be automatic inside 10 feet; now, not so much.
Excuse me for quoting myself, but on Golf Channel tonight Notah Begay said almost the same thing. Not power and distance, not 200 yard sand saves over water, not throwing darts at the pin...putting. He led the stats in scrambling because he could make the putts that saved pars where others were missing and taking boges. Now he's not. And that makes him no better or worse than 100 others out there on the tour.

Putting is in the head. I don't know where's his head is at now, but it's been in a lot of different places in the last few years.

Zydeco
08-06-2014, 09:56 PM
I forget who it was , but they said "the only way Tiger doesn't win 19 majors is a bad marriage or injury" He's had both. This was said before he was married. I have Kevin Streelman in a PGA pool for this weekend. :lol:

DJofSD
08-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Excuse me for quoting myself, but on Golf Channel tonight Notah Begay said almost the same thing. Not power and distance, not 200 yard sand saves over water, not throwing darts at the pin...putting. He led the stats in scrambling because he could make the putts that saved pars where others were missing and taking boges. Now he's not. And that makes him no better or worse than 100 others out there on the tour.

Putting is in the head. I don't know where's his head is at now, but it's been in a lot of different places in the last few years.
He led in scrambling b/c he left the ball closer to the pin leaving him with much shorter putts.

A part of the problem with his putter is he does not have oodles and oodles of time to practice -- he's a dad. No further comment.

RXB
08-07-2014, 12:15 PM

He used to separate himself in a few ways; putting was only one of them. He separated himself with length. He separated himself with his iron accuracy. But he's older now, he can't just hit 3-wood off the tee and still outdrive his opponents, so now he has to pull out the driver more often. And that was ALWAYS the club in his bag that gave him the most trouble; it just wasn't at the yips level before as it is now. His putting isn't what it used to be but he putts far better than he drives.

Beachbabe
08-08-2014, 04:28 PM
TNT speculating whether Tiger will withdraw again before going to the back nine. He's 6 over after 6 & the commentators are saying Tiger is in pain. :sleeping:

DJofSD
08-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Maybe they should start calling him the Cheshire cat.

Beachbabe
08-08-2014, 04:35 PM
He'll miss the cut anyway, but I guess if he withdraws it wont count as a "missed cut". ;)

RXB
08-08-2014, 04:57 PM
It boggles my mind that it's more important to viewers to watch his every shot, no matter how badly he's duffing it around the course, than to watch the guys who are playing well and in contention.

Beachbabe
08-08-2014, 05:18 PM
It boggles my mind that it's more important to viewers to watch his every shot, no matter how badly he's duffing it around the course, than to watch the guys who are playing well and in contention.

Not only his every shot! We had to see him pull into his parking space; put his golf shoes on; and follow his entire walk to the practice green.

cj's dad
08-08-2014, 11:02 PM

Not only his every shot! We had to see him pull into his parking space; put his golf shoes on; and follow his entire walk to the practice green.

I'm stunned that none of you can figure out why this is the case !!!

Jay Trotter
08-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Nobody's missing Tiger on Sunday at the PGA! Quite the show they're putting on. :ThmbUp:

098poi
08-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Nobody's missing Tiger on Sunday at the PGA! Quite the show they're putting on. :ThmbUp:

You're right this is a great final day. I'm glad Tiger missed the cut. He hasn't been competitive and would've only taken time away from the guys who are performing today.

horses4courses
08-10-2014, 07:36 PM
It is a great finish to the PGA, alright.
What are the chances it will have to be finished tomorrow due to darkness?

I doubt that they would have time for a playoff tonight,
and it could be a struggle to get the last pair in before dark.

098poi
08-10-2014, 07:43 PM
This may sound weird but Rickie Fowler's backside looks odd. Either he is sweating or his pants are made like that with an off color patch in the rear. (?)

Beachbabe
08-10-2014, 07:47 PM
With four guys in contention with just a few holes to go, this is one of the best finishes for a major in awhile. The shots they're all hitting are remarkable.

Jay Trotter
08-10-2014, 08:50 PM
That's why we watch sports! Super stuff.:ThmbUp:

DJofSD
08-11-2014, 10:49 AM
http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/interviews/2014-us-ryder-cup-team-interview-captain-tom-watson?cid=pgacomsocial_20140811_29509896

As far as Tiger is concerned, I will continue to speak with Tiger over the next three weeks to monitor his situation. Obviously he has not been playing well, but I think it's been a result, as you well know, of his injury and his coming back from back surgery. Again, I will monitor his situation and be continually talking with him.

Sounds to me that Tom has yet to speak to Tiger directly since the WD, and, as far as Tiger being a player, it's probably not going to happen.

The end of the Ryder Cup 2014 road for Tiger? Does it end in a whimper instead of a bang?

horses4courses
08-12-2014, 06:32 PM
You might ask "How could anyone bet on Tiger at Valhalla?"
Seems like they did..... :eek:

What's the old saying?....."fools and their money are easily parted".

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/08/how-tiger-woods-cost-gamblers-at-pga.html

horses4courses
08-12-2014, 06:46 PM
http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/interviews/2014-us-ryder-cup-team-interview-captain-tom-watson?cid=pgacomsocial_20140811_29509896

Sounds to me that Tom has yet to speak to Tiger directly since the WD, and, as far as Tiger being a player, it's probably not going to happen.

The end of the Ryder Cup 2014 road for Tiger? Does it end in a whimper instead of a bang?

I saw a quote on ESPN (I think) from Tom Watson saying something to the effect that he will leave it as late as possible to make his final selection.

Also, that he will be in touch with Tiger to get his input on his current state of health.
There are plenty of talented, and fit, golfers for Watson to choose from.
It's not like the outcome of the competition hinges on whether, or not, Woods plays.

I love watching the Ryder Cup.
I pretty much always root for the underdog - it's a great spectacle.
Golf played with different tactics in totally different formats.
Great stuff :ThmbUp:

Latest odds have Europe around -250 to lift the trophy.
USA are +175, which makes it a very stingy betting line.

Nevertheless, the US are definite underdogs on a course
that should suit them just fine. Gleneagles should not prove
difficult for the Americans and, if any books over there
get to +200, I could be sending a little cash over via PayPal.

MutuelClerk
08-13-2014, 11:33 AM
When Tiger was young hitting it farther than anyone and beginning to win all his majors it seems there was a panic in the upper echelon of the sport. They had to " Tiger proof " courses. I haven't heard the phrase Rory proof yet. How much if any of " Tiger proofing " was racial in hindsight?

I think when you have a mostly white sport with a bunch of rich guys running it there probably was some racism in Tiger proofing. He was different, dominant. Funny how things come full circle it's the driver that kills Tiger now.

Greyfox
08-13-2014, 12:11 PM
I think when you have a mostly white sport with a bunch of rich guys running it there probably was some racism in Tiger proofing.

I don't think that racism had anything to do with it.
The technology of the clubs and the balls was rendering many courses, including Augusta, to vulnerabilities that were never intended by the original course architects.
Changes in distance had to be made.

By the way, the PGA held a long driving competition for the first time in 50 years.
It was won by Louis Oosthuizen who whacked it 340 yards.
None of them beat the man who competed in it and won in 1964.
That would be Jack Nicklaus - playing with a balata ball and a persimmon wood driver he sent it 341 yards!
Of course Jack in his heyday wasn't interested in outdriving everyone.
He was more interested in accuracy and most of his shots had a tiny fade on them.

DJofSD
08-13-2014, 04:42 PM
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/woods-mcilroy-appear-monday-tonight-show/