PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Sunday, August 3

Teach
08-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Race One:

This first race, a maiden-special sprint, reminds me of the late-1960s and The Lovin Spoonful: "Did you ever have to make up your mind..."? Well, I like two first-time-starting fillies, one is a Pulpit-bred, the other's an Indian Charlie. They're both trained by Todd Pletcher. Tough to choose between :3: Kinsley and :5: Feathered. As the song goes: You pick up on one and leave the other one behind; it ain't always easy... " Well, then again, you could box them in an exacta. Also: :6: and :1:

Race Two:

In this optional claiming turf sprint I'm leaning toward :4: Summer Breezing . Yes, this Langfuhr-bred horse has been on the shelf for a month of Sundays. He was last seen perambulating north of the border at Woodbine in the Grade 2 Kennedy Road just after Thanksgiving of last year. This lightly-raced 5 year-old has loads of class. He's hit the tote in four out of five turf starts. He's trained by the most capable Christophe Clement. Jose Lezcano is in the irons. Also: :2: , :3: , :6:

Race Three:

Another maiden special sprint. My pick: :4: Flat Jack. The A.P. Indy-bred colt is turning back a panel off his most recent start. That should help. The colt should be "on the engine" and playing catch-me-if-you-can. Jose Lezcano rides for trainer Tom Albertrani. Also: :6: , :3: , :5:

Race Four:

In this turf allowance route, I'm going with :7: Kharafa. This Mr. Prospector-bred gelding has been either first or second in his last three on the lawn, Javier Castellano should be able to put this gelding into a good stalking position for a late stretch run. Also: :6: , :9: , :11:

Race Five:

Please don't say: "Tu sei pazzo!" I know. I know. This is off the wall. Or as we say around here: "The Green Monstah". Anyway, in this claiming sprint, I'm going with - before they take me to the asylum - :6: Take the Zeppole, If you go by this filly's last two starts, this is lunacy. Yet, I think there's a wake up call in the offing. I like this filly's most recent work: :59.4 for five panels, breezing from the gate. Yikes! Gadzooks! If this filly does anything like that today...? Also: :11: , :3: , :7:

Race Six:

In this claiming turf route my pick is: :6: Unbridled Logic. This Tale of the Cat-bred gelding has been off for a month and a half. However, the gelding fits well in this company. Decent morning works signal a readiness. Bruce Levine is a 20% trainer with beaten favorites. Also: :5: , :8: , :3:

Race Seven:

In this five and one-half furlong maiden-claiming sprint, my pick is :3: No Shanks (what is this: a behind-the-scene prison documentary, or is it a golfing story?) Anyway, this 2-year-old Elusive Quality-bred filly has had a couple solid works leading up to her "Coming Out Party". The filly's dam, Glory and Faith, has produced three winners from three starters. The ever- improving Luis Saez is in the irons for trainer Mike Mareina. Also: :4: , :7: , :9:

Race Eight:

In this claiming route on the fescue, or is it rye or bluegrass, I like :10: Cage Fighter. The Mike Maker-trainee has been the model of consistency on the lawn. Yet, she did get beaten by weaker in her last. However, I still believe this colt can get the job done. Javier Castellano is in the irons. Also: :9: , :8: , :1:

Race Nine:

In the Waya Stakes on the grass at a mile and one-half, my pick is :13: Cat's Claw, if she draws in. This Dynaformer-bred filly has won her last two; her most recent win was at today's marathon distance. Also: :8: , :6: , :14:

Race Ten:

In the finale: a claiming route on the lawn, my pick is :2: Shaika. This Slew City Slew-bred filly was closing four wide in her last in this company. She finished third. Any slight improvement... Jose Lezcano for Jeremiah Englehart. Also :1: , :4: , :9:

Redboard
08-03-2014, 03:20 PM
R6: $5 WP #10 MakeItGold 6-1
R7: $0.50 Pick4 1,2,3,6,7,8 / 10 / 6,10,11,13,14 / 1,4,7,9,11 = $75
R9: $5 WP #14 Cushion 8-1
R10: $5 WP #9 Reckless Move 10-1
---------------------------------------------
Total Bet: $105

Teach
08-03-2014, 04:13 PM
I don't know if he'll pop, but :1: looks incredible on the track. I like his carriage.

BettinBilly
08-03-2014, 04:37 PM
My picks today have been weak.

I have the following for the Pick 3 in the 8th:

10/13/2

Other than hitting a Place and an Exacta at the Whitney yesterday, Toga has been kicking my wallet in the butt this year.

Redboard
08-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Yea, toga has been kicking my butt too. There goes our single in the 8th to bad luck, definitely got impeeded by the 12 in the stretch but they couldnt move him up because the winner got bumped too.

BettinBilly
08-03-2014, 05:28 PM
9th Race:#13 for the WIN

BettinBilly
08-03-2014, 05:31 PM
10th

4 with 3/10/7

Redboard
08-03-2014, 05:39 PM
R10: $1.00 Trifecta 1,4,9/1,4,7,9/2,9,10,11 = $31.00

BettinBilly
08-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Yea, toga has been kicking my butt too. There goes our single in the 8th to bad luck, definitely got impeeded by the 12 in the stretch but they couldnt move him up because the winner got bumped too.

Well, another tough day for me at Toga, Redboard. With my WIN in the 9th, I'm about even, so that saved the day, but 95 percent of my Exotics went South in a big damn hurry. Like Snowbirds leaving Jersey for Ocala in October! ;)
I only hit one boxed Exacta all day.

I love Saratoga with a passion and look forward to it all year, but THIS year is a brick wall of loss: :bang: