PDA

View Full Version : Charles Town really late money

menifee
08-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Anyone notice really late money coming into the pools at Charles Town lately? In tonight's last I had a 6-1 drop to 3-1 after he crossed the wire. This has been happening more and more lately. Very frustrating.

thespaah
08-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Anyone notice really late money coming into the pools at Charles Town lately? In tonight's last I had a 6-1 drop to 3-1 after he crossed the wire. This has been happening more and more lately. Very frustrating.
Could be tote lag due to internet traffic.

Robert Fischer
08-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Charles Town has a lot of those 4.5 furlong sprints as well.

PressThePace
08-03-2014, 12:18 AM
I dutched the 5 and 6..... $20 win bets. I was wanting the 5 bad, but I was thinking, "no big deal, I still have 6/1" and then I hear the announcer say 3/1. Disappointing to say the least.

Fox
08-03-2014, 01:19 AM
Assuming you are talking about the #6 who won and paid 3.4/1, if you watch the replay, the first time the odds flash is 15 seconds into the race and he is shown at 3/1. I doubt they change the graphics after the fact so it seems as though you are mistaken.

PressThePace
08-03-2014, 01:43 AM
Assuming you are talking about the #6 who won and paid 3.4/1, if you watch the replay, the first time the odds flash is 15 seconds into the race and he is shown at 3/1. I doubt they change the graphics after the fact so it seems as though you are mistaken.

That happened right after the gate opened. I usually get my bets in at the 1 minute mark. It's frustrating but a common reality at the low level tracks. But with that said, the horse was at 6/1 with 0 mtp.

acorn54
08-03-2014, 05:12 AM
That happened right after the gate opened. I usually get my bets in at the 1 minute mark. It's frustrating but a common reality at the low level tracks. But with that said, the horse was at 6/1 with 0 mtp.

i would not be surprised if some sophisticated wagering interests have advanced wagering platforms where they can send bets into the parimutuel system a fraction of a minute after the bettors with the commercial wagering platforms have sent in their bets.

PressThePace
08-03-2014, 12:05 PM
i would not be surprised if some sophisticated wagering interests have advanced wagering platforms where they can send bets into the parimutuel system a fraction of a minute after the bettors with the commercial wagering platforms have sent in their bets.

There are some on this board that make that same contention. Personally, I just think there is a lag in the co-mingling process at some tracks. Charles Town in particular is often brought up in this discussion.

cj
08-03-2014, 12:11 PM
There are some on this board that make that same contention. Personally, I just think there is a lag in the co-mingling process at some tracks. Charles Town in particular is often brought up in this discussion.

As mentioned, it is more noticable at Charles Town because they run so many 4.5f race, money seems "later".

davew
08-03-2014, 12:18 PM

the 1 mtp post is such a joke at most tracks, maybe if no problems at loading. It seems that many tracks delay the start when there are big carry-over pools (or lines at their mutual windows) so they get more handle. If I am watching, I try to make bets as loading and hope my delay is not so big I get shut out.

Wickel
08-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Whatever the reason for the late money, pay attention. It's right-on a large percentage of the time. Most of the winners are odds-on or close to, but hey, there's your free spot in the Pick 4.

The Bit
08-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Presque Isle is the worst in my opinion. You really have no idea what price you will get until they are a half mile into the race.

Stillriledup
08-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Presque Isle is the worst in my opinion. You really have no idea what price you will get until they are a half mile into the race.

That's because if someone sticks 20 bucks on a 10-1 shot, he goes to 4-1. :D

PressThePace
08-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Pid2 on Wednesday...With over 10k in the win pool, the :4: Niceandez goes from 6/1 when the gates open to 9/2 after a 1/2 mile to 7/2 when he crosses the finish line.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Maximillion
08-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Pid2 on Wednesday...With over 10k in the win pool, the :4: Niceandez goes from 6/1 when the gates open to 9/2 after a 1/2 mile to 7/2 when he crosses the finish line.

I have seen this sorta thing at this track,but I dont know that it happened here.On the replay he was 7-2 at the quarter....same price as when he started to "open this thing up" near the finish.

PressThePace
08-07-2014, 01:17 AM
I have seen this sorta thing at this track,but I dont know that it happened here.On the replay he was 7-2 at the quarter....same price as when he started to "open this thing up" near the finish.

Funny because I DVR'd the race and the odds changed from 9/2 to 7/2. I guess it doesn't matter now. I make my wagers as the horses are being placed in the gate. He was 6/1 at that point.

I just watched the replay from the track website and it showed 7/2 from the 1/4 mile mark. Where did you watch the replay from?

Stillriledup
08-07-2014, 02:05 AM
I think another part of the "late money" discussion isn't whether or not its being bet before the start, its whether or not horseplayers can continue to see their odds getting chopped and whether or not they'll continue to be customers of this game.

So ok, you determine that these bets are coming in on time. Where does that leave you? You still see Tonalist go from 11-1 to 9-1 and even if its on the up and up, what's the difference, you still get 20 instead of 24....they don't pay you more because you determined that the person who bet did so before the race actually started.

Hoofless_Wonder
08-07-2014, 03:19 AM
The problem is that the late surge of money is more often on the hot horse that wins. So for the average schmuck that bets a bit earlier than "last nanosecond" and has a winner, he/she sees an odds drop compared to when their wager was placed. For every winner where we see the odds drop, how often to we see the odds go up? I'd say about a 5 to 1 ratio, at least.

The conversation on this topic is usually about the whales chopping into the "overlays" at the end or past posting, but I believe it's the larger prime wagers coming in as well.

Thebigguy
08-07-2014, 05:25 AM

That was a Salvatore 5 star lock. Dude dropped 5k on the horse.

Big Sal
08-07-2014, 07:48 PM
That was a Salvatore 5 star lock. Dude dropped 5k on the horse.

Yeahhhh, Not quite.

I didn't even include him in the top 3.