PDA

View Full Version : The clueless still run racing

molson721
08-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Mountaineer is running their biggest race of the year at the same time as the Whitney is being run. Great idea to try and run against a Grade 1 race at Saratoga at the same time. Racing has the biggest morons running this sport. Identical post times for big races, charge to enter a race track etc... IF somebody had a clue at Mount, they would realize this and delay the past. Then again, that would make sense

Stillriledup
08-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Most incredible thing i've ever seen in all my years. They ran at the EXACT SAME SECOND.

It was like Mountaineer did everything in their power to make sure you didn't watch their signature race.

ArlJim78
08-02-2014, 05:57 PM
I had Sar on the TV and MNR on the track feed, the gates opened together almost like they were on the same timer. what are people thinking when they do this kind of thing? idiots!

Tom
08-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Most incredible thing i've ever seen in all my years. They ran at the EXACT SAME SECOND.

It was like Mountaineer did everything in their power to make sure you didn't watch their signature race.

Maybe they are ashamed of it.
Same deal as last year.
Mnr is strictly minor league.
What was in the race anyway, a bunch of third and fourth string losers?

Somehow, that race never mademy bucket list.
it made the list that rhymes with it, though. :D

Bruiser1
08-02-2014, 07:14 PM
They have this new thing now called "replay" for those who wanted to see a particular race and may have missed it live.

Now here's what I wonder....are those of you who just can't stand races at competing tracks running at the same times also complaining when two baseball games or two football games are being played at the same times?

Milkshaker
08-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Now here's what I wonder....are those of you who just can't stand races at competing tracks running at the same times also complaining when two baseball games or two football games are being played at the same times?

It's not so much the viewership that is at stake.

The smaller track (Mnr in this instance) loses tens of thousands of dollars in handle by running atop Spa.

The difference in lost handle is ENORMOUS when tracks conflict.

It's bad from the track's business perspective, and bad if you're a bettor who wants deep pools to play in.

OCF
08-02-2014, 07:29 PM

I just got home from the track, I was thinking the same thing as the races were going off.

It probably also made a lot of people miss a great finish and a great ride by Rosie.

VeryOldMan
08-02-2014, 07:32 PM
They have this new thing now called "replay" for those who wanted to see a particular race and may have missed it live.

I don't know if I'm speaking for others here, but I like to give my undivided attention to races I've wagered on (however small, in my case) and/or graded stakes races. It just isn't the same on replay, particularly on races I've bet on.

This is Mountaineer's biggest day of the year - by a huge, huge margin. WV Derby is their signature race, although only a lesser Grade 2. And they managed to have it go off at the exact same time as one of the best-known prestigious Grade 1 races from Saratoga. What were they thinking?!

Clocker
08-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Football games aren't over in 2 minutes. Concurrent games do not adversely affect the NFL's handle or take on the games. NFL fans, even those that (gasp!!!) bet, do not have to watch the tote board until just before kick off.

Mountaineer scheduling a race to avoid running at the same time as a bigger race requires trivial effort on their part. Not doing so hurts the track more than anyone else. Someone watching the Whitney, especially given that it was on NBC, is less likely to even think about a MNR race at the same time. Some one watching and betting on the Whitney is highly unlikely to want to try to watch the tote boards of both races at the exact same time. If they ran the race 15 minutes earlier or later, it seems the MNR race would attract more action.

molson721
08-02-2014, 08:01 PM

I guess I should include you among the clueless.:bang:

molson721
08-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Football games aren't over in 2 minutes. Concurrent games do not adversely affect the NFL's handle or take on the games. NFL fans, even those that (gasp!!!) bet, do not have to watch the tote board until just before kick off.

Mountaineer scheduling a race to avoid running at the same time as a bigger race requires trivial effort on their part. Not doing so hurts the track more than anyone else. Someone watching the Whitney, especially given that it was on NBC, is less likely to even think about a MNR race at the same time. Some one watching and betting on the Whitney is highly unlikely to want to try to watch the tote boards of both races at the exact same time. If they ran the race 15 minutes earlier or later, it seems the MNR race would attract more action.

Amen Clocker. I couldn't have said it any better!:ThmbUp:

Dark Horse
08-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Kind of funny. In a slapstick kind of way.

Robert Fischer
08-02-2014, 08:08 PM
The sport is still very inefficient with using the media, and the mass-media.

I actually chose to watch the West Virginia Derby live today, because my pick in the Whitney (Palace Malice) was bet down below playable odds.

I agree that it is a decision that shouldn't have even have had to have been made by horseplayers and racing fans.

tanner12oz
08-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Will be the same next year just like it was last year...mnr simply doesn't care

WP1981
08-02-2014, 09:18 PM
I found this crazy as well. Was at Los Al and MNR video was on a small side TV while several big ones had the Whitney going.

Me and one other guy walked over after the finish to see who won at the mountain.

To be fair, the track could have put MNR on one of the main screens in place of Arlington or Northland's (or is it Northfield?).

iwearpurple
08-02-2014, 11:53 PM

I didn't know that baseball and football were struggling to find new viewers, nor that their live attendance figures were dropping.

HuggingTheRail
08-03-2014, 12:00 AM
I agree that Mnr running the race at the same time doesn't make sense

From a $$ perspective, which would be better, running 5 minutes before the Saratoga race, or 5 minutesa after? I see pros and cons to both....

Track Phantom
08-03-2014, 12:15 AM
I hope Mark chimes in here.

I thought I heard before that they moved it earlier in the day to attract better trainers, owners, etc. I could be wrong on that.

Having said that, you could very easily modify your post time (start at 4PM instead of 2PM or something) so, at the very least, you're not nose to nose with Saratoga. And, of course, not projecting that the G1 Whitney would go off at the same time as the WV Derby is beyond any stream of logic. Maybe Mark has an explanation that we can't see.

From a business, or a fan viewing/wagering standpoint, it made zero sense.

Rex Phinney
08-03-2014, 01:01 AM
Considering we got on hour on TV for each event it was flat out stupid to run them at the same time.

How great it is to have two different networks running weekend time on the horses. And we just flat drop the ball.

Stillriledup
08-03-2014, 01:28 AM
I hope Mark chimes in here.

I thought I heard before that they moved it earlier in the day to attract better trainers, owners, etc. I could be wrong on that.

Having said that, you could very easily modify your post time (start at 4PM instead of 2PM or something) so, at the very least, you're not nose to nose with Saratoga. And, of course, not projecting that the G1 Whitney would go off at the same time as the WV Derby is beyond any stream of logic. Maybe Mark has an explanation that we can't see.

From a business, or a fan viewing/wagering standpoint, it made zero sense.

Peter Berry (Mountaineer's announcer) talks about this a bit on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/peterberry57

badcompany
08-03-2014, 06:03 AM
I agree that Mnr running the race at the same time doesn't make sense

From a $$ perspective, which would be better, running 5 minutes before the Saratoga race, or 5 minutesa after? I see pros and cons to both....

Mnr - Opening Act

Sar - Main Event

rastajenk
08-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Considering we got on hour on TV for each event it was flat out stupid to run them at the same time.

How great it is to have two different networks running weekend time on the horses. And we just flat drop the ball.Maybe that's the problem. Both were scheduled to fit inside a TV production window. Should it have been one network's responsibility to arrange things so that its viewers can immediately jump over to another? Apparently it was more important to be on TV in the first place than to be the big dog on a summer Saturday evening in OTB land. And when that decision was made, control was handed over to the production crew.

TravisVOX
08-03-2014, 07:05 AM

It's a trade-off. Before is less risky, but in my opinion, you do better after...

If before it needs to be at least 5 minutes, preferably closer to 10 minutes.

If after, you want to be at least 8 minutes, but preferably 10-12 minutes. That way, once all the money tied up in the pools for the Whitney is released once official, you're up next.

After is riskier because of a potential delay/objection/inquiry which would prevent all the money in those pools (and the attention of the public) from being bet on your race. But when everyone is done with the Whitney and turning the page to the next race, you're it...

rastajenk
08-03-2014, 07:23 AM
That way, once all the money tied up in the pools for the Whitney is released once official, you're up next.I know you're a student of such things, but I have to ask: Now that we're 20 years into the full-card simulcasting era, do you really think people still bet this way? That they have to cash in before making their next bet? Surely some do, but I don't see that as a driving decision-maker.

tanner12oz
08-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Its unfortunate too because the WV was an exciting race between a trio of KY derby horses that the average Joe might recognize

TravisVOX
08-03-2014, 08:57 AM
I know you're a student of such things, but I have to ask: Now that we're 20 years into the full-card simulcasting era, do you really think people still bet this way? That they have to cash in before making their next bet? Surely some do, but I don't see that as a driving decision-maker.

Yes, without a doubt. It's less about having the cash and more about attention, focus and exposure, but they obviously go together.

According to my ADW... the Whitney handled ~$4.2 million. That's a lot of cash that goes back into the hands of bettors once it's official.

The WV Derby handled roughly $600k... no doubt a better post time would have yielded more action. I would even say another $200k, if not more.

From experience, last year's Super Derby, with a far less compelling line-up, handled $911k. No way the WV Derby shouldn't be able to reach that level.

tanner12oz
08-03-2014, 09:20 AM
On track attendance wasn't very good at WV compared to past years...weather was a little dicey throughout the day. 600k imo is pretty bad for a televised race with 3 derby horses and 750k in cash on the line

TravisVOX
08-03-2014, 09:37 AM
For the sake of accuracy... the actual WV Derby handle was $650k not $600k.

Tom
08-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Its unfortunate too because the WV was an exciting race between a trio of KY derby horses that the average Joe might recognize

It was a race for third stringers, but face it, it was better race than the Whitney.

Palace Malice refused comments as he left Saratoga by the back gates.

ArlJim78
08-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Going head to head against a top Saratoga Saturday is not smart for a smaller tracks big day. If it were me I'd push that card back enough so that the big stakes pick 3 or pick 4 does not overlap with Saratoga. I'd try to time it so that 20 minutes after the Saratoga finale starts the meat of the stakes sequence for Mnr. I think you'd find many people ready to fire into the pools at that point. my two cents anyway.
Even though it was a lessor race I think many people are like myself and like to follow all of these top three year olds throughout the year to see how they develop, and I just feel that a contentious race between Candy Boy, Tapiture, and Vicars In Trouble deserved a better showcase than running simultaneously with the Whitney both in terms of watching it live and for wagering.

Tom
08-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Three big events - Whitney, WV Derby, and Hambletonian, and TV dropped the ball and kicked it out of bounds.

taxicab
08-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Under the category of a track that does get it:
I was watching TVG and the Meadowlands had a race scheduled to go off at the same time as Saratoga.
Darin Zoccali (kind of the media face of the Meadowlands) was co-hosting Hambo day with Tom C. and he informed the viewers/gamblers that the Meadowlands would push back their post time a few minutes because they had no interest in running their race at the same time as Saratoga( I think it was a nice stake from the MDL. to boot ).
I was impressed.
The Meadowlands operates their track the right way.
The track often bans trainers/drivers that cheat.......on the spot.
If a trainer had done what AC Avila had done(race fixing) at the Meadowlands he would of been tossed for life.........meanwhile the CHRB allows flat out race fixing to go on without any penalty to the AC Avila's of the world.
And I do bet the Meadowlands a bit because I feel they "get it".

molson721
08-03-2014, 11:59 AM

You should look for a job in the racing industry. Your thinking would fit in perfectly.

MadWorld
08-03-2014, 12:04 PM
You should look for a job in the racing industry. Your thinking would fit in perfectly.

The generic statements on the racing industry are not accurate in this thread. Mountaineer ran on top of Saratoga so in this instance, it was one track that made a mistake.

Chris Longshot
08-03-2014, 12:34 PM
The WV Derby was yesterday?

tanner12oz
08-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Anyone know who the racetrack shills work for?

thespaah
08-03-2014, 04:49 PM
It's a trade-off. Before is less risky, but in my opinion, you do better after...

If before it needs to be at least 5 minutes, preferably closer to 10 minutes.

If after, you want to be at least 8 minutes, but preferably 10-12 minutes. That way, once all the money tied up in the pools for the Whitney is released once official, you're up next.

After is riskier because of a potential delay/objection/inquiry which would prevent all the money in those pools (and the attention of the public) from being bet on your race. But when everyone is done with the Whitney and turning the page to the next race, you're it...
Ahh...Very good points....Spot on!

SandyW
08-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Under the category of a track that does get it:
I was watching TVG and the Meadowlands had a race scheduled to go off at the same time as Saratoga.
Darin Zoccali (kind of the media face of the Meadowlands) was co-hosting Hambo day with Tom C. and he informed the viewers/gamblers that the Meadowlands would push back their post time a few minutes because they had no interest in running their race at the same time as Saratoga( I think it was a nice stake from the MDL. to boot ).
I was impressed.
The Meadowlands operates their track the right way.
The track often bans trainers/drivers that cheat.......on the spot.
If a trainer had done what AC Avila had done(race fixing) at the Meadowlands he would of been tossed for life.........meanwhile the CHRB allows flat out race fixing to go on without any penalty to the AC Avila's of the world.
And I do bet the Meadowlands a bit because I feel they "get it".

I agree with you 1000%, The Meadowlands is the example that all race track should follow, Jeff Gural is a hands on, no nonsense owner that runs a first class operation.
Even thou it was Hambletonian day, when you handle $7,000,000 on a Saturday harness card going against Saratoga and Delmar that is very impressive and proves that when you treat your customers with respect you will be rewarded.
I can't wait until The Meadowlands reopens in November for the Breeders Crown.

Stillriledup
08-03-2014, 09:32 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113960&highlight=mountaineer

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107681&highlight=mountaineer

duncan04
08-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Seems like most tracks just care about themselves. Don't know why else they continue running big races on top of each other. It's like they act that there is no other track than theirs

Stillriledup
08-04-2014, 09:03 PM
One thing to add, which i find funny is that Mountaineer has this "thing" they do on inquiries.....they take 15 mins and review the "infraction" at least 30 times before making it official...no matter how "bogus" the inquiry is. So, they don't seem to have a problem delaying the next race to look at something that they could decide by watching it 1 time.

johnhannibalsmith
08-04-2014, 09:07 PM
One thing to add, which i find funny is that Mountaineer has this "thing" they do on inquiries.....they take 15 mins and review the "infraction" at least 30 times before making it official...no matter how "bogus" the inquiry is. So, they don't seem to have a problem delaying the next race to look at something that they could decide by watching it 1 time.

The inquiries at Mountaineer are really so long that it delays the next race?

Or did you just make that up?

Stillriledup
08-05-2014, 12:27 AM
The inquiries at Mountaineer are really so long that it delays the next race?

Or did you just make that up?

Here's what i mean.

Lets say a Mtn race goes off around 7:58 or 7:59 and they hit the wire around 8pm and there's a clean race and there's a quick official and the race is offichy at 8pm. They'll put up 17 MTP to the next race, which is slated to go off at 8:17. BUT, if there's a long inquiry on the race that ends at 8pm, they're not going to run the next race at 8:17 if the race that ended at 8pm Doesn't go official until 8:10 or 8:15

johnhannibalsmith
08-05-2014, 12:31 AM
If the race was run on time at 7:59, why would the post time for the next race be 18 minutes later?

Whatever you mean, I think it is safe to say that the diatribe about post times being pushed back because of inquiries isn't exactly reflective of reality so at the end of two posts, I still can't decide if you are bitching or bitching about something.

Stillriledup
08-05-2014, 02:51 AM
If the race was run on time at 7:59, why would the post time for the next race be 18 minutes later?

Whatever you mean, I think it is safe to say that the diatribe about post times being pushed back because of inquiries isn't exactly reflective of reality so at the end of two posts, I still can't decide if you are bitching or bitching about something.

What do you mean why is the next race 18 mins later?

johnhannibalsmith
08-05-2014, 10:22 AM
What do you mean why is the next race 18 mins later?

Come on, do you even read what you write or are you just wiggling away from this by coming up with nonsense?

You said the race went off at 7:59 and at 8:00 after quick official they post a MTP of 17. That would make post time for the following race 18 minutes after the previous, or, about 6 minutes less than Mountaineer's actual time between races.

Yeah, I guess they might delay the next race if they inexplicably used harness racing post times one night.

Stillriledup
08-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Come on, do you even read what you write or are you just wiggling away from this by coming up with nonsense?

You said the race went off at 7:59 and at 8:00 after quick official they post a MTP of 17. That would make post time for the following race 18 minutes after the previous, or, about 6 minutes less than Mountaineer's actual time between races.

Yeah, I guess they might delay the next race if they inexplicably used harness racing post times one night.

When a race is official, Mountaineer puts 17 mins on the board, not 25 like most tracks. They're racing tonight, you can see for yourself.

johnhannibalsmith
08-05-2014, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure how I let you divert this gibberish into a hypothetical about what a track would do with 24 minutes between races to go official and 17MTP or whatever the heck this is all about.

You said that they have no problem delaying the races due to inquiries so they should have no problem doing it for a GI at Saratoga. I asked if there was really a treasure trove of inquiries that had delayed post times at Mountaineer, a claim that seems pretty hard to believe. You then proceeded to tell me "what (you) mean".

I was never confused as to what you meant. You meant that they are brain dead for not delaying the WV Derby when they have shown that they will delay races due to inquiries. Am I wrong?

I just want you say, "yes, this happens constantly at Mountaineer" or "no, I've never actually seen it happen, but it seemed like a good thing to say anyway."

I figure you'll give it to me straight. :lol:

Stillriledup
08-05-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure how I let you divert this gibberish into a hypothetical about what a track would do with 24 minutes between races to go official and 17MTP or whatever the heck this is all about.

You said that they have no problem delaying the races due to inquiries so they should have no problem doing it for a GI at Saratoga. I asked if there was really a treasure trove of inquiries that had delayed post times at Mountaineer, a claim that seems pretty hard to believe. You then proceeded to tell me "what (you) mean".

I was never confused as to what you meant. You meant that they are brain dead for not delaying the WV Derby when they have shown that they will delay races due to inquiries. Am I wrong?

I just want you say, "yes, this happens constantly at Mountaineer" or "no, I've never actually seen it happen, but it seemed like a good thing to say anyway."

I figure you'll give it to me straight. :lol:

Yes, that's what i meant. If they have no problem having a 15 minute inquiry watching replays 500 times, they should have no problem altering when they actually run the race.

I never said there were a treasure trove of inquiries and if you asked that question and i failed to answer it, i apologize.

Hambletonian
08-05-2014, 06:09 PM
our racing is decentralized, and do you really think Montaineer cared one way or the other? It is almost as if some of you are mad because you had to bet both races at the same time. Otherwise, what's the problem?

this is not greyhound racing, even the best plans to keep races separated could be foiled by a number of unavoidable things.

johnhannibalsmith
08-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Yes, that's what i meant. If they have no problem having a 15 minute inquiry watching replays 500 times, they should have no problem altering when they actually run the race.

I never said there were a treasure trove of inquiries and if you asked that question and i failed to answer it, i apologize.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give it up. You can rearrange what I said so that it says something different, but it is too late to rearrange what you actually said.

Maybe you meant something else, but the very clear implication in here is that they make a habit out of delaying races due to excessively long inquiries.

Feel free to retract it.

Stillriledup
08-05-2014, 06:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give it up. You can rearrange what I said so that it says something different, but it is too late to rearrange what you actually said.

Maybe you meant something else, but the very clear implication in here is that they make a habit out of delaying races due to excessively long inquiries.

Feel free to retract it.

I'm starting to have no idea what you're talking about, you seem to be confused as to what i wrote or meant. Let me sum it up.

1) When Mountaineer has an inquiry, whenever that happens to be or however minor the infraction, they look at the replays 30 times and spend 15 minutes looking at it over and over and over again.

2) When this happens, the next race on the docket is "Delayed" from the time it would have otherwised raced had their been no inquiry. If a race goes off at 8pm and there's a long inquiry and the race isn't official till 8:15, the next scheduled race doesn't go off at 8:17 like it otherwise would have, it goes off 10 or 15 mins later.

3) Maybe the word "delayed" is confusing you. Maybe i should have said that the post time gets "pushed back" if there's a long inquiry...or, a weather delay or some other unforseen situation.

tanner12oz
08-05-2014, 06:33 PM
our racing is decentralized, and do you really think Montaineer cared one way or the other? It is almost as if some of you are mad because you had to bet both races at the same time. Otherwise, what's the problem?

this is not greyhound racing, even the best plans to keep races separated could be foiled by a number of unavoidable things.

I get mad because it seems like the only guys fighting for the sport and or giving a crap are us peons on the bottom

johnhannibalsmith
08-05-2014, 06:35 PM
I'm starting to have no idea what you're talking about, you seem to be confused as to what i wrote or meant. Let me sum it up.

1) When Mountaineer has an inquiry, whenever that happens to be or however minor the infraction, they look at the replays 30 times and spend 15 minutes looking at it over and over and over again.

2) When this happens, the next race on the docket is "Delayed" from the time it would have otherwised raced had their been no inquiry. If a race goes off at 8pm and there's a long inquiry and the race isn't official till 8:15, the next scheduled race doesn't go off at 8:17 like it otherwise would have, it goes off 10 or 15 mins later.

3) Maybe the word "delayed" is confusing you. Maybe i should have said that the post time gets "pushed back" if there's a long inquiry...or, a weather delay or some other unforseen situation.

Thank you.

So, you are in fact telling me that races at Mountaineer run later than scheduled post time due to steward's inquiries.

I'm not convinced that your take on the scenario reflects reality, but at least if you are believing it then your connection to the WV Derby is a functional complaint.

Stillriledup
08-05-2014, 06:36 PM
I get mad because it seems like the only guys fighting for the sport and or giving a crap are us peons on the bottom

What also gets people mad is the idea that amazingly great suggestions on how to improve the sport, create more revenue, get more fans, etc just fall on deaf ears. It gets people mad as to why tracks won't listen to good ideas and implement them.

johnhannibalsmith
08-05-2014, 06:37 PM
2) .... If a race goes off at 8pm and there's a long inquiry and the race isn't official till 8:15, the next scheduled race doesn't go off at 8:17 like it otherwise would have...

I don't want to get off on the side again, but I still don't understand how a track that runs at 23/24 min. intervals would run a race on time at 8pm and then have the next post at 8:17, but whatever. :D

Stillriledup
08-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Thank you.

So, you are in fact telling me that races at Mountaineer run later than scheduled post time due to steward's inquiries.

I'm not convinced that your take on the scenario reflects reality, but at least if you are believing it then your connection to the WV Derby is a functional complaint.

Yes, that's what i'm saying.

I've seen VERY long inquiries at this place, but when the race goes official, they don't put up 5 mins to post for the next race, they just push it back. Maybe they don't push it back for the full amount that the inquiry took, but they do push it back at least 1 or 2 mins.......which means they do have the ability to "move" scheduled post times if something unforseen happens.

Stillriledup
08-05-2014, 06:41 PM
I don't want to get off on the side again, but I still don't understand how a track that runs at 23/24 min. intervals would run a race on time at 8pm and then have the next post at 8:17, but whatever. :D

I said if they run the race at 7:58 and its OFFICIAL at exactly 8pm (they seem to have a quick official at this place) they put 17 mins up on the board, so the scheduled next race would be 17 mins after the previous race went official. Now, do they run at exactly 17 mins? Probably not, they might be behind the gate when the clock hits 0, so its probably closer to 18 or 19 by the time they get the race running.

Most major tracks put up 25 mins on the board between races, but MTN does 17.

johnhannibalsmith
08-05-2014, 06:45 PM
I said if they run the race at 7:58 and its OFFICIAL at exactly 8pm (they seem to have a quick official at this place) they put 17 mins up on the board, so the scheduled next race would be 17 mins after the previous race went official. Now, do they run at exactly 17 mins? Probably not, they might be behind the gate when the clock hits 0, so its probably closer to 18 or 19 by the time they get the race running.

Most major tracks put up 25 mins on the board between races, but MTN does 17.

If they schedule their posts 23 minutes apart and are only using 19 minute intervals, then your complaint is even broader and should be expanded.

Pensacola Pete
08-06-2014, 05:14 AM
It's not so much the viewership that is at stake.

The smaller track (Mnr in this instance) loses tens of thousands of dollars in handle by running atop Spa.

I doubt that Mountaineer cares much about its handle. MTR Gaming is a mega million dollar gaming operation that spans three tracks (Mountaineer, Presque Isle, and Scioto Downs), and they only get a small percentage of most of their handle; the ADWs and/or simulcast centers get the lion's share, and the state gets its share.

Peter Berry
08-06-2014, 08:21 AM
When a race goes official at Mountaineer we put up 18 minutes to post for the next race. The exception might be on a Monday or Tuesday night when we are working in concert with TVG.