PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Unlimited

BettinBilly
07-31-2014, 03:39 PM
If you have a Kindle, Amazon is now offering a service called "Kindle Unlimited" for $9.99 a month (First month trial FREE) you can read from among about 600,000 books at amazon absolutely free, as much as you want.

I looked and there are a few handicapping books available, as well as some history books. I just downloaded "Zenyatta" by Matthew Young.

I probably won't continue past the 30 day free trial, but I can read quite a bit of horse racing books in one month for free.

DeltaLover
07-31-2014, 06:19 PM
If you have a Kindle, Amazon is now offering a service called "Kindle Unlimited" for $9.99 a month (First month trial FREE) you can read from among about 600,000 books at amazon absolutely free, as much as you want.

I looked and there are a few handicapping books available, as well as some history books. I just downloaded "Zenyatta" by Matthew Young.

I probably won't continue past the 30 day free trial, but I can read quite a bit of horse racing books inon
inone month for free.

See also here

https://openlibrary.org/developers/api

thaskalos
07-31-2014, 06:21 PM
I signed up for kindle unlimited 2 days ago...and I think it's great. Kindle is not the way to read handicapping books though. The past performances are virtually indecipherable.

GameTheory
07-31-2014, 07:22 PM
Oh man, there's another 10 buck a month service to add to my list. I got Netflix, Hulu, Rhapsody, now Kindle... Amazon Prime too...

BettinBilly
07-31-2014, 07:56 PM
I signed up for kindle unlimited 2 days ago...and I think it's great. Kindle is not the way to read handicapping books though. The past performances are virtually indecipherable.

Agreed. I ordered a few Capping books on Kindle and Nook Tablet. The Nook Tablet is not too bad as it's Android and you can pinch and push to make an image bigger or smaller, but still it's a pain trying to do this an refer back to the text. But Kindle (even my new Kindle Touch Paperwhite) is really not the way to go with "Text" books like Handicapping. But if you know Handicapping fairly well already and just want to see what others have to say about it, it's not impossible. However, hard copy real "Book" is best, especially if you are truly trying to "Learn" Handicapping.

I am 1/2 way through "Zenyatta". For free, I am enjoying it. Also read "Dual for the Crown" - Alydar and Affirmed and racing's greatest rivalry. Enjoyed that very much, but I don't think that is on Kindle Unlimited yet.

Dave Schwartz
07-31-2014, 08:38 PM
I wonder - can you purchase the service without owning a Kindle? (I read on my iPhone.)

If so, I'd likely save about $40-$50 per month on my Kindle book purchases.

Dave Schwartz
07-31-2014, 08:55 PM
I got my answer: Yes! It can be used without a Kindle. :jump:

I am trying it now. Thanks, BettinBilly!

:ThmbUp:

GameTheory
07-31-2014, 08:59 PM
I got my answer: Yes! It can be used without a Kindle. :jump:

I am trying it now. Thanks, BettinBilly!

:ThmbUp:Yep, I read on my Samsung tablet mainly. They don't have everything (that has a kindle edition), but they do seem to have a million books -- plenty to read...

Tom
07-31-2014, 10:22 PM
You have to read them on line or can your download?

GameTheory
07-31-2014, 10:51 PM
You have to read them on line or can your download?
You can read offline -- on any device that you can install a kindle app on, plus any actual kindle naturally. So basically any computer, smart phone, or tablet...

porchy44
07-31-2014, 11:05 PM
https://openlibrary.org/