PDA

View Full Version : spin on the Rainbow Six concept

Poindexter
07-31-2014, 02:09 PM
I think most of us agree that the Rainbow six for the most part is a pretty useless bet with a couple of exceptions (looks like a real chalky pick six that you can derive value on because others are fishing or of course on mandatory payout days). The idea just hit me, why doesn't the southern california circuit or anywhere else that they get big pools, use the same idea on a much smaller scale. Every day just remove 10% of the pool and put it in a jackpot pool to be paid out when there is only 1 ticket with six winners. I would even go as far as to say take 1/2 the 10% from the pool(reduced payout) and the other half should be derived from a reduced takeout(I have to believe the increased pools would overcome this takeout sacrifice that the racetracks would be making). If they go a month without paying out the jackpot(especially if there are some carryovers in there) this jackpot can get very hefty. The result of having this spin would be more value for traditional pick six players(as more lottery type players get involved as the jackpot grows despite the fact they would be facing a higher takeout) and of course being able to market a huge jackpot pool bonus to promote to lottery type players. Do not think this would work very well at a smaller circuit, but at a place like Santa Anita, Del Mar......I think this would be interesting. Agree, disagree? Would this type of thing interest anybody? Just curious.

AndyC
07-31-2014, 09:01 PM
I think most of us agree that the Rainbow six for the most part is a pretty useless bet with a couple of exceptions (looks like a real chalky pick six that you can derive value on because others are fishing or of course on mandatory payout days). The idea just hit me, why doesn't the southern california circuit or anywhere else that they get big pools, use the same idea on a much smaller scale. Every day just remove 10% of the pool and put it in a jackpot pool to be paid out when there is only 1 ticket with six winners. I would even go as far as to say take 1/2 the 10% from the pool(reduced payout) and the other half should be derived from a reduced takeout(I have to believe the increased pools would overcome this takeout sacrifice that the racetracks would be making). If they go a month without paying out the jackpot(especially if there are some carryovers in there) this jackpot can get very hefty. The result of having this spin would be more value for traditional pick six players(as more lottery type players get involved as the jackpot grows despite the fact they would be facing a higher takeout) and of course being able to market a huge jackpot pool bonus to promote to lottery type players. Do not think this would work very well at a smaller circuit, but at a place like Santa Anita, Del Mar......I think this would be interesting. Agree, disagree? Would this type of thing interest anybody? Just curious.

That would put the final nail in the coffin for the So Cal P-6. Do you really think any serious horseplayer would accept a 10% increase in the P-6 takeout and continue playing at a high level into the pool?

Stillriledup
07-31-2014, 09:03 PM
That would put the final nail in the coffin for the So Cal P-6. Do you really think any serious horseplayer would accept a 10% increase in the P-6 takeout and continue playing at a high level into the pool?

They could take the money out of the "conso" portion, so while it would still be a 10% deduction, you wouldn't see it as much.

Its a good idea in concept, but you have to get people to go along with a takeout raise....which is a hard sell at this point.

Poindexter
07-31-2014, 10:16 PM

Not sure how you see this as a increased takeout of 10%. First off, I suggested they reduce takeout, providing for 1/2 of the jackpot bonus to be provided by this reduced takeout(my argument being that increased pools would pay for this reduction in takeout). 2nd, even though there would be a 5% reduction in payouts on days that more than 1 ticket hit 6, I think the trade off would be fair. You are going to have days where the jackpot might only be from $5,000 to $20,000, but you also may see days where that jackpot hits $200,000 or more. Take a typical weekday card where they may payout typically $60,000 or so. Wouldn't a $100,000 or even $200,000 jackpot bonus be huge incentive to play this thing.?I am not suggesting reduce the bet amounts to 20 cents like they do at Gulfstream. There are many occasions that there is only one ticket that hits the pick six in southern California(as there are many times that it carries over-where if you hit that day the jackpot would be yours). I like the idea and I think the good outweighs the bad. I am just curious if anyone else does.

Another option would be for the racetracks in lieu of a takeout decrease(which they do for pick 5's-take out a certain percentage of the pool everyday and add it to a jackpot pool(they can go as low as 3 or 4 % since the bet would not change for the bettor). This would not change the payouts one bit but would give the bettors a jackpot bonus to shoot for and would imo ultimately boost pools more than offset the cost of the takeout reduction-not to mention the benefits of bettors attacking other pools.

AndyC
08-01-2014, 12:09 AM
Not sure how you see this as a increased takeout of 10%. First off, I suggested they reduce takeout, providing for 1/2 of the jackpot bonus to be provided by this reduced takeout(my argument being that increased pools would pay for this reduction in takeout). 2nd, even though there would be a 5% reduction in payouts on days that more than 1 ticket hit 6, I think the trade off would be fair. You are going to have days where the jackpot might only be from $5,000 to $20,000, but you also may see days where that jackpot hits $200,000 or more. Take a typical weekday card where they may payout typically $60,000 or so. Wouldn't a $100,000 or even $200,000 jackpot bonus be huge incentive to play this thing.?I am not suggesting reduce the bet amounts to 20 cents like they do at Gulfstream. There are many occasions that there is only one ticket that hits the pick six in southern California(as there are many times that it carries over-where if you hit that day the jackpot would be yours). I like the idea and I think the good outweighs the bad. I am just curious if anyone else does.

Another option would be for the racetracks in lieu of a takeout decrease(which they do for pick 5's-take out a certain percentage of the pool everyday and add it to a jackpot pool(they can go as low as 3 or 4 % since the bet would not change for the bettor). This would not change the payouts one bit but would give the bettors a jackpot bonus to shoot for and would imo ultimately boost pools more than offset the cost of the takeout reduction-not to mention the benefits of bettors attacking other pools.

I got 10% increase when you made the following comment: "Every day just remove 10% of the pool and put it in a jackpot pool."

If you could sell taking part of the takeout and add it to the jackpot concept to the horsemen and convince them they wouldn't be losing any money you would be hailed as the salesman of the year!
As for the jackpot concept, it really isn't something that draws the serious player.

AndyC
08-01-2014, 12:14 AM
They could take the money out of the "conso" portion, so while it would still be a 10% deduction, you wouldn't see it as much.

Its a good idea in concept, but you have to get people to go along with a takeout raise....which is a hard sell at this point.

As a lifelong P-6 player the conso is the lifeblood of the player. They are what keeps you going in between scores.