PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Thursday, July 31

Teach
07-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Race Two:

The big question here: “Who will get the distance?” Nine panels may be a stretch for some of these maiden-specials. I’m going take a shot with a longshot, :3: Aggrandizement. Admittedly, I’m looking for dividends. Why choose this horse, you ask? Well, this highly-priced colt’s breeding appears to indicate that he can “get the distance”. The Harlan’s Holiday-bred 3 year-old definitely needed his last after a long layoff. Oh, in that one, he got caught up in some early speed; it seemed to take a lot out of the colt and by the time the field reached the stretch in a mile route, he had little left in the tank. Now, second-time off a layoff, the colt should be better conditioned to take on this field. The colt’s morning works are adequate. This Nick Zito trainee, if reasonably ready, could make an impact. Although the colt has never been in the money in five starts, there is room for improvement. Speaking of improvement, Luis Saez is in the irons. Others: :4: None Like Nolan; :6: Rare Eagle; :2: Warrior’s Hero

Race Three:

My pick in this optional claiming turf sprint is :9: White Sangria. The Giant's Causeway-bred mare has been knocking on the door in her two most recent starts after winning at Gulfstream back in early February. This is the lightly-raced 5 year-old mare second start off a layoff. She should beneit from her outside post. She should also benefit from the services of jockey Joel Rosario and trainer Tom Bush. Trainer Bush does well with beaten faves. Others: :8: Hot Squeeze; :10: Uncle Southern; :7: Neck of the Moon.

Race Four:

In this claiming route to be contested over the distance of one and one-eighth miles I’m going to take a shot (there’s a basketball emblem on the jockey’s riding silks) with :1: Cease. This 7-year-old Danzig-bred gelding is stretching out after running seven panels back at the beginning of the summer at Belmont. There is a drop in class here and I believe again that the added distance will help. Admittedly, one of Churchill Downs’ leading riders, Corey Lanerie, is having trouble getting untracked here at “The Spa”. It should also be mentioned that trainer David Jacobson is not having one of his stellar meets. That said… Others: :5: Crushing; :4: North Ocean; :3: One King’s Man.

Race Five:

In this five and on-half panels claiming grass sprint, I’m giving my nod to :5: Stay in Front. The 3 year-old Danzig-bred filly was last seen on the racetrack here at Saratoga about 11 months ago. In that one, she was entered in a maiden special and just missed; she finished a neck off the winner. Yes, she’s been away from the races for many moons. In her favor is a decent-recent morning work in which she breezed out five panels in 1:01,4. Another factor in her favor is the fact that her trainer, Rudy Rodriguez, is good with horses making their second career start. Angel Arroyo picks up the ride, Others: :7: R Lovely Lindsey; :3: Golden Maria; :2: Good Catholic Girl.

Race Six:

In this 5 furlongs maiden-special state-breds, I’m choosing :5: Bullheaded Boy. As one of my trainer-friends used to say, “I believe this can be any kinda horse.” I obviously haven’t seen the Tiznow-bred colt run, but I'm impressed with his pedigree and also his morning work-tab. You can add to that the combination of jockey John Velazquez and trainer Todd Pletcher. It’s quite possible that you’ll see “Johnny V.” “rock’n rolling” this horse home to victory. Others: :7: Saratoga Heater; :8: Watergate; :3: Persuasive Devil.

Race Seven:

:2: Media Kid is my lukewarm choice in this turf allowance route. The Lemon Drop Kid-bred gelding should benefit from his inside starting post. This should afford him the supreme opportunity of a ground-saving trip. Hopefully, they’ll be enough left in the tank to gain the victory. The most capable Jose Ortiz is in the irons for trainer Tom Morley. Others: :8: Sayler’s Creek; :3: Grand Rapport; :7: Zane.

Race Eight:

In this optional claiming turf route my choice is :6: Storm. The Artie Schiller-bred gelding is a perfect three for three on the lawn. The gelding had a recent sharp work and an excellent trainer in Todd Pletcher. The gelding fits well in this company. The red-hot Javier Castellano is in the irons. Oh, Todd Pletcher is 30% with horses who won their last race. Others: :3: Excellent Royale; :5: Shaun’s Blessing; :9: Los Barrachos.

Race Nine:

In the Evan Shipman for state-breds at a mile and one-eighth, I like :6: Escapefromreality. This Read the Footnotes-bred, Dom Schettino-trained was narrowly second in his only race this year. Any slight improvement… A recent solid work signals readiness. The gelding will also benefit from the riding skills of Javier Castellano; he;s been as hot as a petardo. Oh, by the way, trainer Schettino is very good with beaten favorites. Others: :7: Awesome Vision; :8: Big Business, :4: Sailmate

Race Ten:

In the finale, a claiming turf route, my choice is :2: Anmaat. The Unbridled-bred chestnut gelding could do little against allowance types in his last. Well, the gelding now settles back into “the selling ranks” and that - as they say - could make all the difference in the world. Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin is good with horses making their second start off a layoff and also ones that were beaten favorites in their lasst start. Luis Saez is in the irons. Others: :4: Rack’em Earl; :9: Kid Blast; :6: Cincinnati Kid.

LAP_520
07-31-2014, 01:08 PM
FYI .. as of 1:07 pm Saratoga .. all races are off the Turf ! Main Track is listed as Muddy.

Teach
07-31-2014, 01:11 PM
I didn't use him on a fast track, but I believe, off his pedigree, that the :1: moves up here on a muddy surface.

Teach
07-31-2014, 01:48 PM
It feels like being thrown a curve when I was looking for "the heater". Re-tool. Change gears. I gotta lean toward the entry.