PDA

View Full Version : Lester to A's for Cespedes

Valuist
07-31-2014, 10:36 AM
Not sure if its official yet but sounds like it. Lester has been great this year but giving up Cespedes is quite a bit for a 3 month rental. My guess is this stems from the fact Hammel has been brutal in 4 starts since coming over from the Cubs. They can't count on him at all. Lester-Kazmir-Samardija-Gray. That's an extremely formidable rotation. I guess Gomes goes to Oakland along with Lester.

No question opponents are going to have trouble scoring against them. The A's have been one of the top offenses this year, although looking at that lineup, one wonders how long they can sustain that.

Canarsie
07-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Not sure if its official yet but sounds like it. Lester has been great this year but giving up Cespedes is quite a bit for a 3 month rental. My guess is this stems from the fact Hammel has been brutal in 4 starts since coming over from the Cubs. They can't count on him at all. Lester-Kazmir-Samardija-Gray. That's an extremely formidable rotation. I guess Gomes goes to Oakland along with Lester.

No question opponents are going to have trouble scoring against them. The A's have been one of the top offenses this year, although looking at that lineup, one wonders how long they can sustain that.

Being a Sox fan I am highly disappointed at what he fetched. I would have preferred two top prospects both in the A's top 10. Then again Cherington has a world series ring and I am a poster on here.

Valuist
07-31-2014, 12:07 PM
Being a Sox fan I am highly disappointed at what he fetched. I would have preferred two top prospects both in the A's top 10. Then again Cherington has a world series ring and I am a poster on here.

Their top prospect, Russell, went to the Cubs in the Samardija trade. I really don't know what else is in their system. The Red Sox seem weak in the outfield and a RH hitter with power like Cespedes will put up 30 HRs at Fenway (maybe more). I thought the A's gave up a lot for a 3 month rental.

Marshall Bennett
07-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Masterson may do well with the Cards down the stretch. Sort of surprised to see Indians give up on him even if he's on the last year of contract.

Valuist
08-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Was surprised to see the A's trade away Tommy Milone and only get back Sam Fuld in return. Very briefly, Fuld was a member of the A's earlier in the season only to be released. Milone was in AAA due to the numbers game after they acquired both Samardija and Hammel from the Cubs. Would've thought the A's could've gotten a better bat in return for Milone. If they had acted a few days earlier, maybe they could've got Kendrys Morales from the Twins.

Canarsie
08-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Their top prospect, Russell, went to the Cubs in the Samardija trade. I really don't know what else is in their system. The Red Sox seem weak in the outfield and a RH hitter with power like Cespedes will put up 30 HRs at Fenway (maybe more). I thought the A's gave up a lot for a 3 month rental.

Cespedes is only signed through 2015 that's why I rather have prospects. If they pay him around twenty mil they might as well kept Lester. The deal with the Cardinals gives them players whose contracts expire much later.

The A's get two months+ from a guy who usually excels in the spotlight and doesn't break. He's worth at least twice as much as a 21-12 (made up the record) pitcher who gets a little nervous come October.

I try to be fair and this is a lost year for the Sox. If Cespedes hits 30 HR and 110 RBI in 2015 and they resign him I will be the first to admit I was dead wrong about the trade.