PDA

View Full Version : Mike Beer

Ocala Mike
07-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Has he "replaced" the little guy as the NYRA hot handicapper or is he "in addition to" Andy. My betting buddy swears by his figures, and pointed out to me that Beer had 3 of the 4 in the last race super, and the :7: was easily an addition off the board.

Thebigguy
07-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Has he "replaced" the little guy as the NYRA hot handicapper or is he "in addition to" Andy. My betting buddy swears by his figures, and pointed out to me that Beer had 3 of the 4 in the last race super, and the :7: was easily an addition off the board.

The two of them together are far and away the best TV combo around. They are both sharp. Andy is still the man though. Its a slump, it happens to everyone.... If I'm wagering I handicap a card at least 2 nights in advance and I always look to see who they pick. If they pick my pick on top I always feel a little better about it.
The only 3 people I bother looking at anymore are these 2 and Doug Salvatore. They are as sharp as it gets......Doug is great but his picks are not "out there" as much. Even his 2yr old blog for Saratoga does not come up until like 11am day of.

BetHorses!
07-30-2014, 09:05 PM

When you have great timeform figures it moves you up. Its not a knock on him cause I like him but those figures are by far the best out there and its been that way for years...(CJ). Now they are in the spotlight. Unfortunately for me he has a following and its been taking away value as he is sharp and frequently looks for horses who are 10-1 + ML.

Tara73
07-30-2014, 10:49 PM
I believe Andy had the last 4 winners on top. That's the pick 4 COLD. He had strong opinions for each correct selection.

BIG49010
07-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Andy gave out the Rudy horse Ear D' Rhythm yesterday, pointed out that the 6-1 was a gift, and it should be more like 5/2. He won and apparently everyone was listening because he got bet down in last flash. I hope it was Andy that crushed him.

Robert Fischer
08-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Beer is a good handicapper, and he's starting to 'loosen up, and show confidence, and Serling has done a great job of working with him.

Andy doesn't have anything to worry about, but right now they are putting on a good show.

Ocala Mike
08-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Today, he had a Graham Motion 6/1 horse on top in the 5th, and MORENO at 10/1 in the Whitney.

BIG49010
08-02-2014, 10:01 PM
I think Maggie has more strikes than any of them, but you need to get the NYRA feed to get her paddock picks.

Wickel
08-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Beer replace Dave Litfin, the DRF New York handicapper, on the NYRA website. He's done well with his Timeform analysis, but there's no beating Andy Serling in the Big Apple.

PressThePace
08-05-2014, 01:08 AM
I rarely consider another's selection blindly, but Serling and Beer make a great team. Serling in particular is a teacher of sorts. I played the 6th at the Spa today and hit Serling's selection (#9) at I believe 9/1. Beer did the same yesterday. It doesn't take many of those for me to be a fan.

Tall One
08-05-2014, 08:50 AM
I think Maggie has more strikes than any of them, but you need to get the NYRA feed to get her paddock picks.

Why I enjoy watching the on-track feed from the track I'm playing...95% of which is the NYRA tracks..Beer and Serling's analysis are great, but I'll pay just as much attention to Maggie's paddock reports too. :ThmbUp:

bello
08-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Love Beers analysis of a pending speed dual. He is usually right on the money.

And agreed, he and Andy make a great team, largely because he seems to be a handicapper Andy truly respects.

Nice #9 horse selection by Andy at 11-1 yesterday. Maybe he will break out of the slump, but clearly, as he said yesterday, getting a few bombs make up for a bunch of losses. Regardless, Mike and Andy make a very good team.

Been following Maggie since Colonial Downs and I will say this. My handicapping is done before I listen to any of the public handicappers. The only comments that will typically sway my betting are Maggies. I never miss here comments prior to betting a race. Her ability to read body language and confirmation is not only intriguing, but one of a kind. She put me on the #4 firster in a maiden filly race the other day that proved quite profitable. More often though, her negative comments, though often subtle, has dissuaded me off some bets I may have made.

She is a real find for NYRA.

Ocala Mike
08-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Agree - Beer/Serling make a great duo. Caught that $35.00 :1: horse yesterday, as they both had it mentioned in their top 3 or 4. I usually note their seelctions (sometimes the little guy goes 5 deep), and circle any that are mentioned with high M/L odds, and double circling any like this that they BOTH have mentioned. Been working for me so far up there. Also caught the :7: / :5: last race exacta on Sunday this way.

Thebigguy
08-06-2014, 02:27 AM
Love Beers analysis of a pending speed dual. He is usually right on the money.

And agreed, he and Andy make a great team, largely because he seems to be a handicapper Andy truly respects.

Nice #9 horse selection by Andy at 11-1 yesterday. Maybe he will break out of the slump, but clearly, as he said yesterday, getting a few bombs make up for a bunch of losses. Regardless, Mike and Andy make a very good team.

Been following Maggie since Colonial Downs and I will say this. My handicapping is done before I listen to any of the public handicappers. The only comments that will typically sway my betting are Maggies. I never miss here comments prior to betting a race. Her ability to read body language and confirmation is not only intriguing, but one of a kind. She put me on the #4 firster in a maiden filly race the other day that proved quite profitable. More often though, her negative comments, though often subtle, has dissuaded me off some bets I may have made.

She is a real find for NYRA.

Seems to me whenever Andy likes a horse the horse looks good.....
I watch daily.

Cholly
08-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Mr. Beer gave out the $38 winner of the 7th @ SAR today.

pandy
08-12-2014, 06:17 PM
I like the Beer/Serling analysis, too. They're both good TV analysts, they cut right to the chase, not a lot of fluff, and good insights.

DeltaLover
08-12-2014, 06:24 PM
I do not know about mr Beer, but I have to say that TLG is one of the very few public handicappers who seem to understand the betting game in depth... The few times i have listened to his analysis, he showed to be a notch or more above most of his collegues...

PhantomOnTour
08-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Serling is having a very nice day today at Sar

jefftune
08-17-2014, 09:11 PM
Andy & Mike are both excellent and provide good info on Talking Horses. I check out Beer's blog each morning.
http://www.nyra.com/saratoga/blogs/timeformus-race-analysis/

Thebigguy
08-27-2014, 03:25 AM
Was Serling terminated? His picks for today were up Monday around 1900 like always. Now they are gone. But Beers picks are there. Will Talking Horse now be Beer and Salvatore?

Stillriledup
08-27-2014, 04:38 AM
Was Serling terminated? His picks for today were up Monday around 1900 like always. Now they are gone. But Beers picks are there. Will Talking Horse now be Beer and Salvatore?

He posted recently on Twitter, he didnt' mention anything about being canned. Not sure why he's shouting on twitter, maybe we are all hard of hearing? :D

Thebigguy
08-27-2014, 04:49 AM
He posted recently on Twitter, he didnt' mention anything about being canned. Not sure why he's shouting on twitter, maybe we are all hard of hearing? :D

Kinda messing around about him being gone, but maybe not.... His Wednesday picks were up, and now they are gone.
Who knows?

EMD4ME
08-27-2014, 07:48 AM
Kinda messing around about him being gone, but maybe not.... His Wednesday picks were up, and now they are gone.
Who knows?

Why in the world would he be gone? He is the top analyst by faaaar in the country. He creates handle and is a vibrant personality that at the very least creates debates. I certainly hope not.

Beer is refreshingly humble but super compliments Andy and they make a fantastic duo. Hands down the best partner Andy's had.

Maggie is off the charts amazing. Her paddock analysis is amazing. I hate it when my audio goes out while any one of the three speak.

the little guy
08-27-2014, 10:16 AM
The picks are back up. I have no idea what happened to them as they were sent on Monday morning.

Thebigguy
08-27-2014, 11:17 AM
The picks are back up. I have no idea what happened to them as they were sent on Monday morning.

Was worried about you big guy.

Grits
08-27-2014, 09:29 PM
The day Serling is terminated at NYRA will be the day Kay and Panza better begin looking for other employment ... or is it back to waxing their surfboards? NYRA'S terminated a lot of really good, long employed people, but if they cut this one loose? They're screwed. It is this simple.

Having been in Saratoga for three weeks, if you don't believe this man's opinion is a factor...there's a bridge somewhere I'm sure you can purchase. In the clubhouse grandstand, in line wagering, anywhere daily, the question is overheard, "who does Serling like, whose his top pick?" And this is IF they missed his analysis between races, or failed to jot down his picks before getting to the track.

Blewitt and Beer, both, are assets and work well with Serling. But he is still the heart of the handicapping. Jason and Andy are a great team. The flow is excellent. Mike and Andy are equally good. But Beer is still new, yet he's a natural, at ease on camera. To hear "Beer", though, for now, on track, it's still in terms of "hey let's go to Siro's and get one (a beer)." It's hard being "the new guy". Still, all are good. But NYRA doesn't want to make a mistake of this magnitude. Keep the crew intact. It's enough losing Durkin...

Is this a tout for Serling? No, not a chance. I've not run into him the whole time in Saratoga. But I listen to and observe those around me.

Stillriledup
08-27-2014, 09:42 PM
The day Serling is terminated at NYRA will be the day Kay and Panza better begin looking for other employment ... or is it back to waxing their surfboards? NYRA'S terminated a lot of really good, long employed people, but if they cut this one loose? They're screwed. It is this simple.

Having been in Saratoga for three weeks, if you don't believe this man's opinion is a factor...there's a bridge somewhere I'm sure you can purchase. In the clubhouse grandstand, in line wagering, anywhere daily, the question is overheard, "who does Serling like, whose his top pick?" And this is IF they missed his analysis between races, or failed to jot down his picks before getting to the track.

Blewitt and Beer, both, are assets and work well with Serling. But he is still the heart of the handicapping. Jason and Andy are a great team. The flow is excellent. Mike and Andy are equally good. But Beer is still new, yet he's a natural, at ease on camera. To hear "Beer", though, for now, on track, it's still in terms of "hey let's go to Siro's and get one (a beer)." It's hard being "the new guy". Still, all are good. But NYRA doesn't want to make a mistake of this magnitude. Keep the crew intact. It's enough losing Durkin...

Is this a tout for Serling? No, not a chance. I've not run into him the whole time in Saratoga. But I listen to and observe those around me.

Yes, you hear people ask who his top pick is, but then you turn your back and they laugh and put a big red X thru the horse. :D

All kidding aside, i'm not sure anyone has any factor on the odds, take TVG for example, quite often Simon or someone will come on and tout a horse and the horse takes no extra money. Now, i know that Simon isn't Serling, but Simon's audience is much bigger, so even if he's 1/10th as good as Andy, he has many more ears listening...and the odds never change a speck.

Matt C gave out a horse today at the Spa on tv, his co host also agreed it was a good pick, the horse went from 7-1 to 9-1 after he layed out a case as to why he loved the horse.

The people you hear are 2 dollar bettors, they're not betting tens of thousands a day, those people are at home betting in privacy and betting their own opinion.

bello
09-13-2014, 02:17 PM
So I was really thinking about giving Mike Beer all kinds of crap for selecting a c the confirmed rat money burner Cali Star in race 2.....Shame Shame Mike I was saying to myself.

But race 3 was the nugget of info that Beer and TLG really help with. #1 Hadrian....Beer was adament about his debut being a no try 3w non effort and and selected Hadian as his top selection. And it pays $25.oo

That is what I look for from an analyst. The things I have not seen myself.

Thanks Mike.

jk3521
09-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Mr Beer also hinted in race 8 that jockey Bravo had chosen to ride the #10 instead of the #1 for Chad Brown and that that may be an angle. :ThmbUp: