PDA

View Full Version : Will Rush interview Richard Paey?

Secretariat
04-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Will Rush interview Richard Paey? Let's see if there is truly equal justice in Jeb's Florida.

from DRCNET:
Florida Pain Patient Sentenced to 25 Years 4/23/04 A wheelchair-bound Richard Paey was sentenced to 25 years in prison by a Florida judge on April 16.

Paey, who was convicted of forging prescriptions for pills to ease
chronic, severe back pain dating from failed surgeries after an auto accident in 1985, was sentenced under Florida law as a drug dealer -- though even prosecutors conceded
there is no evidence he did anything other than consume the medicine himself
(http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/332/paey.shtml ).

Paey's sentencing came as Florida endures a bout of prescription pain pill abuse hysteria, marked by the continuing legal and media odyssey of an Oxycontin-gobbling Rush Limbaugh and a sensational series of ill-reported stories in the Orlando Sentinel

(http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v04/n318/a09.html?56410 ).

Taking full advantage of the media frenzy is the Florida drug control establishment, led by Citrus State "drug czar" James McDonough, head of the governor's Office of Drug Control. Since last fall, McDonough and Florida Republican legislators have been pressing a bill that would enact a prescription monitoring
system, and that bill is now near passage.

Richard Paey is a desperately sick man who took desperate measures to ease his pain: Florida police and DEA agents who followed him for months described him wheeling himself into one pharmacy after another and leaving clutching his bags of pain pills. But that didn't matter to prosecutors who tried him
as a drug trafficker three times before they could win a conviction that would send him to prison for years.

"It's unfortunate that anybody has to go to prison, but he's got no one to blame but Richard Paey," Assistant State Attorney Mike Halkitis told the St. Petersburg Times after sentencing. "Even if he possessed one pill illegally, it's a crime. All we wanted to do was get him help and get him treated to ensure that he's not doing anything criminal," he added.

Paey and prosecutors wrestled over possible plea bargains as the third trial neared, but Paey ultimately decided to reject a deal that would require him to plead guilty to a crime. He simply didn't believe he was anything other than a victim of a medical system hijacked by the imperatives of the war on drugs.

It was a gamble that almost paid off. One juror, Dwayne Hillis, told the Times he did not want to vote to convict Paey, but relented after he was assured by the jury foreman that Paey would receive probation. "It's my fault," said
Hillis, a 42-year-old landscaper from Hudson. "Basically I should have stuck it out."

Hillis was misinformed by the foreman. Paey was convicted of
"trafficking" in more than 28 grams -- less than one 100-pill prescription -- of Percocet, a medicine containing 1.5% oxycodone. Under Florida law, he faced a mandatory minimum 25-year prison sentence and $500,000 fine.

"They compromised," Paey said after the verdict, "and in the field of justice, compromises lead to horrible injustice."

"I said, "Guilty. Put it on the (verdict). I hope you all can live with
yourselves,'" Hillis recalled. "I just hate myself for what I did."

At the hearing, sentencing Circuit Judge Daniel Diskey expressed dismay at having to impose the harsh sentence, but ultimately washed his hands of the matter. Responding to a comment from a Paey defense attorney that the legislature needed to change the law, Judge Diskey said, "You read my mind. In 22 years
of practicing law... I have watched the trial court's discretion in
sentencing eroding away." Legislative guidelines have "virtually eliminated judicial discretion," he added. But Judge Diskey ultimately played his appointed role. "It should come as no surprise that I am going to follow the law," he said just
before imposing sentence.

"Look what happens when prosecutors know that the defendant was a patient in pain and had no intent to sell the medicines. This madness must be stopped," said Siobhan Reynolds, head of the Pain Relief Network (http://www.painreliefnetwork.org ), a group supporting the right of pain patients and the physicians
who prescribe for them to be treated with dignity and compassion. "Richard V. Paey has been a victim of advanced multiple sclerosis and a botched back surgery, and on April 16, Paey became another victim of overzealous prosecution of
pain patients and mandatory minimums," said Reynolds, who attended the sentencing.

"Paey, in his wheelchair with a morphine pump sewn into his ruined back, will live out what for him is a death sentence in a Florida prison for possessing the medicine that he requires to survive," Reynolds noted. "He needs air conditioning in order to survive the summer, but Florida's prison system does not
provide it. This is an absolute travesty."

Two weeks ago, Paey's wife Linda told Drug War Chronicle she expected him to serve less than a year before winning on appeal. Now, if he can only hold out that long.

schweitz
04-28-2004, 12:33 PM
While I agree that this appears to be an injustice I am confused about your post. What point about Rush and Jeb are you trying to make?

Secretariat
04-28-2004, 08:41 PM
My point is will Ruch receive the same equal justice in Jeb's state of Florida in dealing with illegal pain-killers as Mr. Paey has?

schweitz
04-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Last I heard they were going after him like crazy. Doubt it has anything to do with Jeb in either case.

Lefty
04-28-2004, 10:27 PM
sec, a big important point: Rush has not been accused of forging prescriptions. Know you hate him as much as you do Bush but your point is non analagous. Keep trying.

Secretariat
04-28-2004, 10:41 PM
You're right Lefty. He got his maid to do his dirty work for him.

"Wilma Cline says she became Rush Limbaugh's drug connection after working as his maid. She claims she used to carry pills to Limbaugh in a cigar box. "

Lefty
04-28-2004, 10:49 PM
sec, you're big on unproven allegations. Your liberalism is showing bigtime. The maid's a liar.

JustRalph
04-28-2004, 11:01 PM
and who did the dirty work for JFK?

Secretariat
04-28-2004, 11:43 PM
C'mon Lefty. She's a liar. That's the best ya got. At least JR tried to pull JFK into it.

Alright, let's look at Jeb's niece here. She was forging prescriptions as Mr. Paey. What was here sentence?

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/10/17/noelle.bush/

Give me a break.

Lefty
04-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Yes, the maid's a liar. The prosecution has illegally gained access to Rush's medical records. So that proves they're after him hot'n heavy. They got nothing that's why they haven't indicted him.
The poor guy you cite is not a parallel to Rush's case no matter how you try to twist it.

Secretariat
04-29-2004, 11:14 AM
lol...So Lefty. the maid's a liar. Boy, that doesn't say much for Rush's judgment of people's character does it. After all the maid worked for him for years. Now isn't Rush continuallym aking judgments about people on his radio show, but MISjudged his own "lying" maid so badly. Give me a break. And thanks for the ignored reply on the Noelle Bush verdict. I guess some people will defend anyone Lefty.

Lefty
04-29-2004, 11:56 AM
If, the maid wasn't a liar, Rush would be indicted. So now you twist that around to still blame Rush for not being omnipotent.
Some people will denigrate anyone and without proof.

Lefty
04-29-2004, 12:03 PM
sec, if Jeb's niece was doing the same as Mr. Peay, then absolutely she should get the same sentence. But you obfuscate your argument by bringing Rush into it and he wasn't forging prescriptions and he hasn't been charged with anything.

hcap
04-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Hypocrite, don't ya thunk?

http://www.rense.com/1.imagesF/hopp.gif

hcap
04-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Lefty

This was just unearthed in an archeological dig in Berlin
circa 1938---

http://www.rense.com/1.imagesE/einsplash.jpg

Tom
04-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Hcap,
You are the internet version of a graffitti punk.
Ever form your own opinion about something?

Lefty
04-29-2004, 10:21 PM
hcap, yeah, you liberals are the nice ones alright.

JustRalph
04-30-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Secretariat
Now isn't Rush continuallym aking judgments about people on his radio show.

I wouldn't agree with that statement. He often goes out of his way to not judge a persons character.......he often tries to explain why he thinks they are mistaken in their rhetoric...but he also lets bygones be bygones and actually tells people that they are being mislead more often than judging them. Many people have actually called him over the years and confessed to thinking the same as your statement and then learning over the years of listening that he is actually nothing like the left portrays him. You are just wrong on this one.......SEC......

Hcap......get a life.......

hcap
04-30-2004, 07:20 AM
Tom---Hcap,
You are the internet version of a graffitti punk.
Ever form your own opinion about something?
I think by now you know my opinions on various off topic issues. I suspect most of the knee jerk bush supporters watch faux news to AVOID forming THEIR own opions. Too much independent thinking required not to watch. Anyway that's why I posted the deutcheland uber alles fox archeological dig in Berlin circa 1938. And oh, as far as being a "graffitti punk.",
Heres one more--

"Cheney Wows Sept. 11 Commission By Drinking Glass Of Water While Bush Speaks"

http://www.theonion.com/images/380/image_article2348_160x118.jpg

This one from The Onion-a great site,.
http://www.theonion.com/

ljb
04-30-2004, 07:34 AM
Hcap,
LOL you are doing a great job keeping the rightys off balance. As you said they generally just watch faux news and listen to that doper, what's his name? When someone like you posts those biting cartoons it really upsets their apple carts. Keep up the good work.

hcap
04-30-2004, 07:50 AM
ljb

I guess they just can't deal with fair and balanced as it REALLY exists in the REAL world. Anyway the preznit is such an embarrassment to thinking americans, not to mention the rest of thew world, that unless black box voting is manipulated, gwb is toast. Just like rummy? cheney? told prince bandhar.

Now there's a piece of work. Gwb should be impeached just for making nice with the princey on a whiite house balcony.

Tom
04-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Let's take roll call here...
Ljb.......reduced to troll shouting
Hcap.....a cartoon himself, he no longer offers anything but other people's cartoons
Amazin......AWOL
Sec.....the last bastion of liber thought left, he is only one still posting with some semblence of intelligence.

Sec, I have to salute you...you are the last man standing. You alone still offer thoughts worth considering, ideas worthy of debate, posts worth skimming ( a few less thousand words and I would actually read them all hehe).
Know that when we trade barbs, they are thrown at you from a postion of respect. Keep up the good work....the other side of the coin is so very important lest we get stagnant in our views.

ljb
04-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Tom,
Nothing to say again ?