Longshot6977
07-29-2014, 07:38 PM
This has been discussed several times. Try these threads:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107445&highlight=gelding

and here

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91159&highlight=gelding

and here

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62378&highlight=gelding

If you want more, just do a search. I believe HTR has some gelding info after reading a few posts.

Jeff P
07-29-2014, 10:13 PM
HANA (and a small group of horseplayers including myself) recently had conversations with Equibase about this.

To their credit Equibase agreed to step up for us.

First, as background info, there are a handful of different cases when a horse shows up in today's race as a first time gelding (or gelded since last start.)

The most common cases are:

1. Horse was listed in the data as a colt or horse in its previous races - and (properly) shows up for today's race listed in the data as a gelding. (But the pps do not have a separate indicator for that.) (Some already do as noted in post #2 of this thread above.)

2. Horse was listed in the data as a colt or horse in its previous races - was gelded since its last start - and shows up for today's race still listed as a colt or a horse in the past performance data.

In case #1 above, The data is there but responsibility for flagging the horse in pps with an indicator such as "1st time gelding" or "gelded since last start" or some symbol indicating same falls upon the shoulders of the programmer doing the pps.

Even though the data is there, data vendors like DRF, Brisnet, Trackmaster, Timeform US, or a smaller software offerings such as HTR, JCapper, RDSS, etc. cannot display a "1st time gelding" or "gelded since last start" indicator in their pps unless their programmer spends the time to make that happen.

In case #2 above, often times the horse isn't gelded while stabled on track. Case # 2 happens most often while the horse is turned out at a farm and the horse's connections fail to notify the racing office upon the horse's return to the track. (At least that's the most common case I've seen in California.)

In such cases, provided the info is known, an effort is made to announce the change over the public address system. I've occasionally seen the change appear alongside the other changes crawling across the bottom of the screen on the track video feed. (That said, you the player will be in the dark unless you make an effort to go looking for this and other info.)

Here's where Equibase stepped up:

They agreed to integrate a gelded since last start indicator into the Equibase "Scratches and Changes" system.

When work on the project is complete you should start seeing a gelded since last start indicator appearing right alongside all of the other scratches and changes info currently being reported such as: scratched horses, races off the turf, distance changes, temp turf rail placement, and rider changes, etc.

I've been told that work on this project is underway and should be complete towards the end of this summer (2014.)

Obviously, as work on the project reaches completion and 1st time gelding indicators start showing up in the scratches and changes info - some of the data providers and software vendors will likely be early adopters and invest the programming time to make a separate indicator appear in their pps and reports.

-jp

dkbigsky
07-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the good info