PDA

View Full Version : Political correctness rant

andicap
04-28-2004, 10:32 AM
I promised myself I would never post here again, but as Al Pacino said in Godfather 2...... (Besides I expect to get wide agreement on this for once)

Anyway this kind of irritated me as an example of political correctness run amok. As a liberal, I HATE political correctness because it caricturizes (sp) everything.

Elton John calls American Idol voting racist because the public voted off a black woman who was considered the best talent. (I don't know, I don't watch the show.)

Note to Elton: A black person won the contest last time!!!!

Criticisms like this just make it that much tougher to get REAL civil rights issues into the foreground. Now whenever someone raises a legitimate rights issue, people will roll their eyes, "There they go again, the PC police."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040427/11/oqwi.html

PC people are facists. They want to impose their viewers on everyone else. Why can't I tell an ethnic joke? Why can't I use the term, "Chinese fire drill?" anymore. Yes, I understand it stereotypes an entire race, but does anyone really think less of the Chinese because of that term.
The Dutch do OK these days despite such putdown phrases in our language as Dutch Treat (meant to imply the Dutch are cheap)

Now I draw the line at really sick, tasteless jokes like those Jewish oven jokes you used to hear years ago (someone told one of those recently and got into trouble, but can't remember who.). That's just wrong and offensive.

Being against PC doesn't mean you feel people can use the "N" word or other offensive terms. It means, relex and worry about the really important things in life -- affordable housing, voting rights, jobs -- not whether a black person is going to win on a stupid show like American Idol.

(Now of course the problem is one person's PC is another person's offensive. So you've gotta be careful where and to whom you say these things. I wouldn't tell a Polish joke to a Polish person and I would expect people who don't know me to exercise discretion in telling me a Jewish joke. If you're my friend of course, almost anything goes. And politicians have to be careful too. If a candidate tells an ethnic joke, I wouldn't care that he told it but be worried that he lacked fundamental common sense!)

So there, conservatives, something we can agree upon!

Tomorrow's topic: Capital punishment for morons who drive the speed limit in the left lanes. (I'm for it)

:D

cj
04-28-2004, 12:08 PM
There would definitely be some disagreement that she was the "Best Talent!" I'm not saying she isn't good, just that it was surely open for debate.

I still can't figure out how the red-headed white dude is still on the show, he's just not very good!

schweitz
04-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Andicap---you are right--on this we definitely agree..

PaceAdvantage
04-28-2004, 02:20 PM
And the voting process is a joke! You can vote AS MANY TIMES AS YOU'D LIKE! And I believe it is free. How can anyone charge racism when there could be so much more at play here than just a racist attitude by the majority of voters???

cj
04-28-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to pay, which should tell you something about the intelligence of those voting!

cj
04-28-2004, 02:25 PM
I was wrong, looks like it is free.

From the FAQ on the show's web site:

How much does it cost to vote?
Telephone calls to the American Idol voting lines are toll-free. If you use a wireless phone to call the American Idol voting lines, airtime and applicable roaming and long distance charges will apply. Additionally, if you vote using AT&T Wireless Text Messaging, standard Text Messaging fees will apply – see Can I Vote By Using My Cell Phone? or How Do I Vote Using Text Messaging? for more details

Dan Montilion
04-28-2004, 04:57 PM
What is an American Idol? And who is Elton John?

Dan Montilion

Tom
04-28-2004, 08:19 PM
andicap.....you are coming over to the Dark Side? hehehe
Yes-your point is right on target. But you must not to harsh with Elton Jonn-he is having a bad week. I hear he can't find his gerble and is pretty worried about it. He may be a little bit antsy.:rolleyes:

Lefty
04-28-2004, 10:47 PM
andicap, we agree! The lady voted off, in my opinion, had the best and most poerful voice and range. She was my fav. But racist? Givew me a break. As you pointed out, Ruben Stoddard was the winner last yr and Clay Aiken was by far the best. The fact that Clay's albums are outselling Ruben's by a wide margin is proof.
Now i'm rooting for the 16 yr old Dianne Degarmo. What a set of popes this kid has.
BTW, Jennifer Hudson, the girl voted off will probably be getting a big record contract and I can't wait for her first CD.

kenwoodallpromos
04-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Sounds like John is very sensitive person. And if I remember right his Philadelphia Freedom song is not about patriotism.

PaceAdvantage
04-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Lefty
Now i'm rooting for the 16 yr old Dianne Degarmo. What a set of popes this kid has.

WOW!! Talk about divine intervention!

With a set of "popes" in her corner, how can she lose!!??

LOL

Just kidding you...I know you meant pipes.... ;)

JimL
04-29-2004, 08:41 AM
Lefty, Set of popes! You just topped Dan Blather!!! JimL

Lefty
04-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Hey, you guys, give me a break. Don'tcha know i'm King of Typos and I was in a hurry so didn't read it over for correctness.
This little gal can sing. On Latin night, she was clearly the best with one helluva set of PIPES, so she doesn't need the Popes. She might not even be Catholic. LOL