PDA

View Full Version : Who do you listen to?

PhantomOnTour
07-26-2014, 01:18 PM
I am starting this thread because I am pissed at myself for being influenced by some pickers on the internet. It's not their fault - it's all mine.
Talking about the 1st at Sar today.
Really liked the winner at 16-1 but hedged because I foolishly let someone I "respect" influence my bet.
Got a small win bet, but had a bigger win bet and ex in my originally drawn up bet.

Listen to NO ONE but yourself, esp if you've been in this game as long as me.
Give yourself (myself) some credit - these internet pickers aren't seeing anything you, the experienced player, are not.

Aside from inside info on workouts or a pedigree nugget, these guys are seeing the same pp's as you and me.
:bang:

I am not going to point the finger at anyone but myself...please be reminded that you are a good 'capper too and should trust your work.
Shame on me

GameTheory
07-26-2014, 01:23 PM
I am starting this thread because I am pissed at myself for being influenced by some pickers on the internet. It's not their fault - it's all mine.
Really liked the winner at 16-1 but hedged because I foolishly let someone I "respect" influence my bet.
Got a small win bet, but had a bigger win bet and ex in my originally drawn up bet.

Give yourself (myself) some credit - these internet pickers aren't seeing anything you, the experienced player, are not.

Aside from inside info on workouts or a pedigree nugget, these guys are seeing the same pp's as you and me.

I am not going to point the finger at anyone but myself...please be reminded that you are a good 'capper too and should trust your work.
Shame on me
I only ever listen to anyone about a race I have not looked into myself. I don't mind using someone else's handicapping if they have proved themselves, but my handicapping mixed with another's...well they don't mix. One or the other.

BlueChip@DRF
07-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Trust no one and never second-guess yourself.

thaskalos
07-26-2014, 01:29 PM
I listen to whomever wants to talk to me...but I make up my OWN mind. After all...it's MY money...

Clocker
07-26-2014, 01:37 PM
There are two women on TVG that I listen to, the one at Monmouth (Christina?) and Dawn Lupul at Woodbine. Both have shown very good knowledge of physicality. They will give you a good read on how the horse looks, while the guys are explaining their $72 Pick 6 ticket in great detail.

Other than that, I try to listen to this advice (http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/10781743/bad-news-bearers), applying it to public handicappers as well.

RaceBookJoe
07-26-2014, 01:48 PM
I listen to whomever wants to talk to me...but I make up my OWN mind. After all...it's MY money...

Post of the day !!! I only listen to people AFTER I do my own homework, there are some sharp handicappers out there who might have picked up on something I either missed or didn't have in my process/drf. But like Thaskalos, its me who decides in the end where or where not to put my money.

Ocala Mike
07-26-2014, 01:50 PM
My old racetrack bud had a saying - "Bet horses as though you are deaf, dumb, and blind." In short, listen to NOBODY!

RaceBookJoe
07-26-2014, 01:51 PM
There are two women on TVG that I listen to, the one at Monmouth (Christina?) and Dawn Lupul at Woodbine. Both have shown very good knowledge of physicality. They will give you a good read on how the horse looks, while the guys are explaining their $72 Pick 6 ticket in great detail.

Other than that, I try to listen to this advice (http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/10781743/bad-news-bearers), applying it to public handicappers as well.

Christina Bosanokis or something like that. Dawn Lupul is decent..agreed. For me, since I am not adept at physicality handicapping or intense trip handicapping, I will give those type handicappers a listen. My horse gets a boost in my rating if I already have him picked, and then they get a positive mention from one of those type handicappers.

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Some of the track handicappers are pretty good, and know their circuit well.

I like to hear their opinions in general, but I have particular interest in weaker parts of a multi-race sequence.
For example, I may have an overlay in the 3rd race and a chance to score fairly big if I can link it into a pick-4. Occasionally the track handicapper is able to fill in some blanks (regarding information, not tickets).

Robert Goren
07-26-2014, 02:03 PM

I like to hear their opinions in general, but I have particular interest in weaker parts of a multi-race sequence.
For example, I may have an overlay in the 3rd race and a chance to score fairly big if I can link it into a pick-4. Occasionally the track handicapper is able to fill in some blanks (regarding information, not tickets).I think in general track handicappers do better when they are for some reason are picking races away from their home track. Say like when the TLG is visiting another track.

Clocker
07-26-2014, 02:11 PM

One person I give consideration to is Frank Mirahmadi, the Oaklawn caller, when he talks about any horse running there.

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 02:22 PM
One person I give consideration to is Frank Mirahmadi, the Oaklawn caller, when he talks about any horse running there.

I'll have to check him out. :ThmbUp:

Andy Serling is pretty obvious, working for NYRA. I like that he gives his reasons and isn't afraid to stray far from the morning line.

Mark Patterson - Mountaineer knows his track as well as any, and he's not only on top of local form, he's also thinking along with claiming conditions.

Ron Mullis - At Presque Isle Downs is a lesser known track handicapper, but he knows his specific circuit as well as anyone.

AndyC
07-26-2014, 02:58 PM
I listen to everybody initially. I like to hear opinions and ideas along with the why behind the opinions and ideas. It doesn't take long to figure out who is worth listening to and who just likes to talk and tout. A core group of knowledgeable players can be very beneficial to keeping your handicapping sharp. Improving your handicapping requires you to never quit learning or researching.

Hoofless_Wonder
07-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Since being talked off of Unbridled in the 1990 Derby in favor of Silver Ending (5th), the only thing that sways me now is "the little voice inside my head".

Lemon Drop Husker
07-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Since being talked off of Unbridled in the 1990 Derby in favor of Silver Ending (5th), the only thing that sways me now is "the little voice inside my head".

Ha. :D

I got talked off of Charismatic in the '99 Derby :mad: . I've never been talked off a 20/1 shot or greater since then.

As for listening to others? I'll talk to anybody about horses and handicapping. It is a sport in which I truly believe is an ever evolving and fluid skill. While learning from losses is the greatest tool, hearing from others with knowledge should never be dismissed in filling out exotics and multi-race tickets.

Poindexter
07-26-2014, 04:17 PM
The key with me is if I am prepared. If I have capped the races, and know who I like and do not like, nothing anybody is going to say is likely going to have much influence me unless I flat out missed something. Thee is some info you want to have. If the guy on the mike says that so in so is impressing the clockers or so in so looks great-you want to take that into account....The problem is when you are handicapping a race and you have some tvg or track analyst guy blurting in your ear. They will influence you way too much. You should always handicap fully 1st before subjecting yourself to other opinions. If you haven't full handicapped the race, probably best to leave the mute on the tv and refrain from looking at others picks or analysis.

Tom
07-26-2014, 04:43 PM
The only person I ever listened to at the track was Zaff, when he said,"Tom, you want a beer?"

therussmeister
07-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Even my first day at the track I've never listened to anybody's opinion of a race I intended to bet. I thought it would be a faster way to learn if I made my own mistakes. I've known a few very good handicappers that could never get rid of the crutch of needing other people's opinions.

AndyC
07-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Even my first day at the track I've never listened to anybody's opinion of a race I intended to bet. I thought it would be a faster way to learn if I made my own mistakes. I've known a few very good handicappers that could never get rid of the crutch of needing other people's opinions.

There is quite a difference between listening to other opinions to acquire useful information and listening to others to somehow validate your own handicapping. I don't remember the last time I came off of a strong selection do to the influence of another opinion. I have, however, made many successful bets due to an insight from other opinions. Just like the DRF, there is useful info and useless info, the trick is to filter out one from the other.

thespaah
07-26-2014, 07:19 PM

Shame on me
I have a guideline for this.....If I am on a pick, I bet it. If there is a pick from a handicapper I trust, I will hedge and play that one as well.
Some say "that's not handicapping"...I respond with "that's your opinion. Thanks for your input"....
My loyalty to the "rules" begins and ends with MY bankroll....If there are those who don't like it, tough.

thespaah
07-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Trust no one and never second-guess yourself.
Second guessing myself is the kiss of death..
If I am not sure, I sit it out.
Long ago I was at Meadowlands. I struck up a conversation with an older guy who seemed to know his stuff. He told me "kid, never bet with scared money"...